• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question My 2018 will turn on a Traction Control symbol on every longer ride (1-2 hours).

ADWaddell

Reaction score
Visit site
As said in the header, my TC lamp comes on on my rides of 1-2 hours or so. Tire pressures are correct/adequate, I'm not using the TC function (i.e. not spinning the rear while the front stays steady). But the TC lamp will pop up, and then go away when I stop and shut off and recycle the bike. Sometime later in the ride, boom, it's on again...but with no spinning or any traction related concerns to disturb TC engagement. I've got the factory service manual, and I've looked in the ABS section (assuming that's how the ECU does it, comparing front tire RPM and rear tire RPM) but haven't found any information about diagnosing a "TC Indicator Lamp ON fault". It's not a big deal to me because traction control is (literally) the last feature I would ever enact in riding purposely. But it's odd that it comes on and it shouldn't do that. And that's what bugs me..."it shouldn't do that".

Would like to find why it's doing that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe you should be looking for Torque Control information and not for Traction Control.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture.JPG

As said in the header, my TC lamp comes on on my rides of 1-2 hours or so. Tire pressures are correct/adequate, I'm not using the TC function (i.e. not spinning the rear while the front stays steady). But the TC lamp will pop up, and then go away when I stop and shut off and recycle the bike. Sometime later in the ride, boom, it's on again...but with no spinning or any traction related concerns to disturb TC engagement. I've got the factory service manual, and I've looked in the ABS section (assuming that's how the ECU does it, comparing front tire RPM and rear tire RPM) but haven't found any information about diagnosing a "TC Indicator Lamp ON fault". It's not a big deal to me because traction control is (literally) the last feature I would ever enact in riding purposely. But it's odd that it comes on and it shouldn't do that. And that's what bugs me..."it shouldn't do that".

Would like to find why it's doing that. Thanks in advance for any help.
Just a thought, are the tires both the recommended size and is the wear more or less even?

wwriz, thanks for the reply. Yes the tires are the recommended size, and they're still worn very little. They are new Michelin Pilot 5. I also check the pressure regularly and it's correct. I'll be getting out riding more in the next few days and I'll keep an eye for the light again.

I'm also starting to think that light coming on is just telling me that the Torque Control system has "intervened" in a recent event, but there's nothing really wrong. It says that the lamp should go off once the throttle is reduced to 0, so I'll try that next time it comes on...will try to pull over and release the throttle entirely and see if it goes out. Maybe it's just trying to tell me "hey buddy, you're not Valentino Rossi, so watch your step with that throttle hand!" :D

Even if it does come on, like I said, I'm not an aggressive rider so "losing" torque control until my next ignition cycle is no big deal.

Back