• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went on a strictly highway jaunt yesterday, to try and understand a bit more on what results (so far) in worst/good/best mpg figures on my NCX. I'm talking real world here, not going to extreme lengths to Hypermile-ducking under windscreen, coasting, being a road tampon, and similarly, not giving it full throttle at every stop light pretending it's a V-Max etc. Just "normal riding".

Poorest mpg is obviously city schlepping. Staying @ around 3000 rpm or higher, lots of stops and starts, with the enjoyment (for me) of some blips into higher rpm range, especially in first/second gear on the throttle shutdown, for the nice sound.

City= 48-60 US MPG give or take. No luggage or saddlebags installed. WORST

Good/Best mpg is really a tie, which surprised the heck out of me.

Awhile back, I went for a whole tank's worth of distance as much off road as I could. Gentle use of throttle on the highway to get to the gravel/logging roads, and then lots of throttle in low-ish gears, but no high overall speed (ie: never over say 75 kph) I thought for sure, that spending the entire day going gravel spinning at higher rpm's and low gears would give poor results, but it didn't.

Offroad= 72.61 US MPG. Saddlebags installed, 1/2 full of misc. stuff. BEST

Yesterday, I thought right, let's go on a pure highway tank's distance. This one has for the most part, limits varying from 80 kph to 100 kph (49.7-62.1 mph) I rode normally for me. Passing when infrequently needed, staying at or slightly over any listed limit, but never going over by more than 10 mph roughly. Gentle throttle, in 6th as soon as possible from any slow down or stop. Very light traffic.

Minor Highway= 72.30 US MPG. Saddlebags installed, nearly empty. GOOD

Frankly, I'm surprised that I got as good an mpg number for the offroad part, and such a "poor" number for the highway trip.

I guess the secret is truly never going over 50 mph, but limiting any constant stops and starts. My rpm on the pure highway trip was 99% 6th gear, and never over 3000, with a huge amount of 2,000-2,500 always showing. My offroad, was closer to 4,500 to 5,500 rpm, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears, but never over 50 mph, and fairly "constant". Not the same amount of stopping/starting as in city traffic, lights etc.

*** I didn't put in a percentage of city/hwy/offroad mix, because it's seldom like that for me. If I'm going hwy, then I fill up and go. I don't usually dick around in the city for 1/2 a tank and then hit the road. The closest would be an offroad/hwy mix, but I can get fuel just prior to full offroad usually, so the same. Not usually a mix between a highway tank and an offroad one for distance of any note. Never a mix of a city tank and an offroad one.

Last edited:
Made a 40 mile trip on the freeway with a 55mph back wind. Guess what ? NO buffeting, even with my OEM windshield !

Rode the bike to work today, so nice to be able to ride again. Tough to be without the bike while waiting for parts during the early summer!!

Rode about 30 miles (one way) to a neighboring town to visit its new cheese factory. Got my first taste of really gusty Oregon coast winds. It was a bit dicey at times but at least gave me a new experience as I get back into riding.

Took her out for 200km, endless roads without stopping. This is also why I love the NCX.
No need to fill up. No highways, just sweeping roads and a section of twisties to satisfy the chicken strips.
The more she warmed up, the smoother she became. I am not imagining things. She wants to be ridden!
:p

I went about a mile and a half to a corner store, got what I need and as I checked out I heard Supertramp's song Take the Long Way Home, so I did. Took about a half an hour to get back to the house. Thank you Supertramp, I'll heed the advice more often.

supertramp.jpg

Last edited:
Rode it to a BMW road test. BMW were kind enough to let us ride their bikes for one hour EACH ! I tried three 2013 bikes:

1- A 2013 F800GS (not impressed... and no picture (forgot to take one..) A lot of vibration at highway speed)

2- A 2013 K1600GT (very nice but not my style anymore. Rides like my old GL1800)

K1600GT.jpg

3- A 2013 R1200GS (wow)

R1200GS.jpg

My favorite is BY FAR the R1200GS. The 2013 is significantly upgraded from last year's model.

Don't worry, I won't trade my NC yet. The 1200GS is twice the price of the NC, but not twice the fun... And not twice the reliability for sure :rolleyes:

Hit the rev limiter for the first time. I was in 2nd gear, engaging in some juvenile stoplight shenanigans with an impreza WRX. Felt it, looked down, saw I was already at 50mph and backed off. (We were neck and neck)

Reload.
20130606_134947_zpsa7a3697a.jpg

....and gave her a good jetspray wash. Clean like a new baby. :p

Last edited:
I put my engine cover back on after punching a hole in it and my bike won't start. The oil light stays on while it turns over. I can't remember if this happens after you change oil or not. The fuel pump primes and it turns over fine but it won't start. I might have damaged the CPK sensor or something else. Very frustrated and I don't have much time to mess with it. I was going to take a trip to MO next week...guess the Beemer will get the call again.
Mike

Rode her up to the Buffalo River national Park last night and camped at Grinders Ferry gravel bar. Canoed the Buffalo today and road her back home. Floating the Buffalo is an annual work outing we do. Before I left yesterday I found a piece of metal in the tire but luckily it didn't go all the way through. Also found out I'm having to go to California for 2 weeks for work. That means 2 weeks of no riding. Yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back