• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012, 2013 and 2014 Owners part confirmation or picture, please.

NO it shouldn't be convect .it should stick out to make accessible to use a spanner not a socket on them nuts.
how you you lock the nut in?,you can't do it with a socket and a spanner.
you need two spanners to do this..
greystone1 is the correct way.
25388d1438069077-2012-2013-2014-owners-part-confirmation-picture-please-cropped_anchor_pic-jpg

Since you have confirmed the chain length to be correct, I think the next step is to confirm the number of teeth you have on your sprockets, if you have not already. From there we need to really get crazy and measure the length of the swingarm from pivot point to the end and compare to another bike.

This is not right. It's not just about the end caps; the axle is obviously not positioned in the intended spot in the slot.

Since you have confirmed the chain length to be correct, I think the next step is to confirm the number of teeth you have on your sprockets, if you have not already. From there we need to really get crazy and measure the length of the swingarm from pivot point to the end and compare to another bike.

This is not right. It's not just about the end caps; the axle is obviously not positioned in the intended spot in the slot.

I hadn't thought about that but it sure makes sense to actually count the sprocket teeth, and not assume. Quite frankly it's driving me nuts, lol. I *know* something fishy is going on, but can't come up with a logical reason. I can't say I noticed the odd axle location right from my initial ownership from new, and only became aware of it at some point after the chain recall was done, and limited my thoughts to thinking the design of the end caps was stupid, not knowing everyone else's were the correct way.

I do know the sprocket wasn't somehow changed or diddled with during the new chain re/re, because it was done so fast, while I waited. That pretty much leaves it coming that way from the factory as the only possible thing.

Key words: "after the chain recall was done"." I don't know chain sizes enough to know if this is even remotely possible, but could they (you know who) have installed a chain with a slightly different pitch? I doubt it would go around the sprockets if that were the case, and pitch sizes are probably not that close together.

Some owners manuals spec a chain length over so many links, when checking for wear. I don't know if the NC manual does, but that would give an indication that the chain is correct.
I guess the point is, don't assume anything, especially when dealer service is involved.

Without meaning to insult you (I don't want you to stomp off in a huff), I think you need to recount the chain links. The most likely culprit here is that the dealer installed a 112 link chain on your bike.

Last edited:
Without meaning to insult you (I don't want you to stomp off in a huff), I think you need to recount the chain links. The most likely culprit here is that the dealer installed a 112 link chain on your bike.

Why I never! :mad:

lol lol ;)

heh heh, I have counted twice and arrived at the same number, but I would rather be found incompetent, versus stubbornly closeminded trying to solve a problem, so I will triple check juuuuuuuust in case...

AH HA!

Mate, thank you- I discovered my error on the triple check! D'oh! :rolleyes:

I had been counting the main visible links, and then multiplying by two. I got 114 twice, and called it good.

The problem was, I was absentmindedly counting the first link a second time, coming up with 57 instead of 56! I discovered this brain fart when deciding to count each individual link instead this time. 110, 111, ...112? Wait, what? Auuuugh! :shame:

Counting the outer plates and multiplying by two, more easily masked my error, but it was instantly easy to arrive at the correct figure going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....

Sigh. But still awesome, thanks! Not knowing the why of something, is worse than being a counting bungler, for me. :eek:

Last edited:
Good to hear that the mystery is no more!

Since you are able to use the bike, I would probably leave it. If you can, I'd suggest putting the caps on convex, and if you can't get the 12mm locknut over the 14mm nut, then go get a nylon self locking nut instead. As your chain wears you'll get out into a more usable range on the adjusters.

Assuming the dealer service caused all this grief, I just shake my head and sigh . . .

Last edited:
y
Good to hear that the mystery is no more!

Since you are able to use the bike, I would probably leave it. If you can, I'd suggest putting the caps on convex, and if you can't get the 12mm locknut over the 14mm nut, then go get a nylon self locking nut instead. As your chain wears you'll get out into a more usable range on the adjusters.

Assuming the dealer service caused all this grief, I just shake my head and sigh . . .

Yes, the chain is exactly how it left the dealer after the swap, it's about the only thing on the bike I haven't mucked with, lol.

Although now of course, considering I miscounted the links twice, how can I complain with a straight face that the guy installing the chain did the same thing? :eek:

Ah well. I hear one of the benefits of aging and becoming befuddled is that you relive your childhood. At least I have that to console me. :/

How much time has passed?

y

Yes, the chain is exactly how it left the dealer after the swap, it's about the only thing on the bike I haven't mucked with, lol. . :/

How much time has passed since the dealer swapped out your chain? How long did it take you to discover the chain was the incorrect length?:confused:

Back