• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012, 2013 and 2014 Owners part confirmation or picture, please.

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE EDIT: Mystery finally solved! The recall swap chain at the dealer was two links short! (a 112 link DCT chain was installed instead of a 114 link NC700XA chain!)

Rear swingarm. Specifically, the chain adjuster caps on the ends of the swingarm.

2012, 2013 and 2014 model year owners. (not to exclude 2015's, but I believe the answer may already be there, at the '14 model year. Feel free to answer of course, though!)

Are your swingarm end caps inverted, (bowed inward, concave) or everted, (bowed outward, convex) ?

My 2012 end caps stick inward, and they suck. I've always thought they were backwards as to how they should be, but shrugged my shoulders and let apathy win out over annoyance, lol. :eek:

Because my end plates are concave, when adjusting the chain, none of my wrenches fit nicely on the larger, most inward nut. Trying to undo the outermost smaller locknut is a source of anger, when the wrench slips and rounds off the corners of the inside nut, trying to hold it from spinning when turning the locknut.

Are everyone else's 2012's the same, or were mine installed backwards from the factory? :rolleyes:

The 2012, 2013, and 2014 "Cap, Swingarm End 40546-MGS-D30" part numbers are the same, except I just noticed in a picture of a 2014 rear swingarm view, that the stock looking end caps, stick out, instead of in, just as they should, making sense.

Mine: (apologies for blurry zoom picture)

2012 end cap.jpg

Versus

2014: (courtesy of CB4ME's bike)

2014 end cap.jpg

Last edited:
Convex. Your caps have been flipped around backwards (inside-out?)

I haven't the foggiest how to attach a picture from the mobile site here, but I'm looking right at my '12's adjusters.

My '12 are convex as well. Are yours installed inside out? If they are concave, you probably lose 3/4" of travel to tighten your chain.

My '12 are convex as well. Are yours installed inside out?

Thanks!

Just now, tracking down every picture I could find on the 'net, and yup, they are all the "normal" sticky-outy examples, not like my innies.

More than likely, I guess the dealership put them in backwards when they did the chain recall swap. I'm thrilled to be unique.

LOL! :rolleyes:

In regards to the rear axle sliders, these are from DMV or Dimotiv, a West Germany company who manufactures and markets in Hong Kong. Quality of their stuff is good and prices are reasonable, especially if you purchase $100 or more which gets you free shipping. I've made several purchases. Here is the link to their NC700X stuff. They also carry NC750 items. Most of their parts comes in 3 or more colors:

DIMOTIV Moto Gene -- NC700X

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. :mad: :confused:

So my bike has been down a couple of months while I had my shock fixed, and I was also waiting to put on a new rear tire. I got everything all back together, and figured excellent!, now I might as well reverse my backwards installed swingarm end caps too.

Well, I'm stumped lol :eek:

Cliff Notes version:

With the swingarm end caps properly installed, can't put locknuts on, and the adjuster marks are a million miles away from being helpful. Plus it looks completely weird, having the large space behind the axle.

I had a brief second of Ah ha! thinking maybe the dealer had put on too short a chain from a DCT model (112 links) when they did the recall swap, but I counted the links on my chain and nope, it's 114 links as per the NC700XA spec. (Plus we don't get the DCT models up here in Canada, so that would have been kinda weird as well)

So here is the bizarre issue- there is zero room to move the wheel forward, the axle is pretty much butted up to the front of the oval hole in the swingarm, and the chain is at proper-ish slack. I haven't had to adjust it yet from new. 1 turn on the adjusters equals the chain being bowstring tight, and utterly no difference as far as making enough room to put the locknuts on, or the arrow coming close to the sticker. Y'know, if the chain was 116 links, it would probably bring the wheel back to perfectly centered in the swingarm, and allow for the correct room on the adjusters for the locknuts...

WTF? What am I missing?

adjuster.jpg

The end caps should be convex. A previous owner or mechanic has assembled them incorrectly. Just slacken off both nuts and turn them round.

Alas, this is the insult to injury in which I moan about know, lol. When turning the plates the proper way round, only one thread sticks out past the adjuster nut, therefore leaving zero ability to put on the lock nut. The only way to get the lock nut on, and have the adjuster look somewhat like it should, is to turn the plate backwards. This still doesn't address the issue of the bizarre empty space behind the axle, and inability to use the chain marking lines with the sticker on the swingarm.

The stickers, btw. are where they should be on the swingarm.

Picture of plates on backwards shows ability to use adjuster lock nut, but the space behind axle, and the sticker are evidence of the axle being too far forward; ie: chain too short. (or whatever)

DSCF1843.jpg

Last edited:
Back