• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

12v Accessory Outlet Relay Bypass Switch

If you go to your local Radio Shack, you can buy a 555 timer chip for cheap (a few dollars) and a 12v relay. You may need one resistor too, so your total investment will be under $10. I did this on a previous bike and I may do it to my NC since it's fairly easy. Every time you turn off the bike, the socket power will stay on for whatever time you wish Depends on the resistor), Say, 45 minutes or so-then shut off. You'll have plenty of time to charge something, and never have to worry about running the battery down.

So, after taking my bike apart over the weekend to get a better idea of exactly what I did, it's turning out to be a much more difficult process remembering what and why I did it the way I did a year ago. I'm in the middle of creating an Instructable to show exactly what I did and why I did it with pictures and drawings however, I have run into a few concerns with my own wiring. I will be correcting the "concerns" this weekend and will try to have a step-by-step process soon.

I have deleted the post with the basic diagram because it wasn't even really close to the way I wired my switch. The concept still remains the same, but there were critical differences between the basic diagram and a much safer way to do it.

Last edited:
So, after taking my bike apart over the weekend to get a better idea of exactly what I did, it's turning out to be a much more difficult process remembering what and why I did it the way I did a year ago. I'm in the middle of creating an Instructable to show exactly what I did and why I did it with pictures and drawings however, I have run into a few concerns with my own wiring. I will be correcting the "concerns" this weekend and will try to have a step-by-step process soon.

I have deleted the post with the basic diagram because it wasn't even really close to the way I wired my switch. The concept still remains the same, but there were critical differences between the basic diagram and a much safer way to do it.

oh nooooo!

I have wired up my bike exactly like that diagram! :eek:

heh heh I keed, I keed ;)

As a fully fledged electrical numpty, I will be happy with whatever efforts you put into this :)

oh nooooo!

I have wired up my bike exactly like that diagram! :eek:

heh heh I keed, I keed ;)

As a fully fledged electrical numpty, I will be happy with whatever efforts you put into this :)

You would be fine, if you put a fuse between the battery and the switch. I wouldn't worry about if you did. If not, you should install the fuse in that location instead.

Ha, I knew I was doing a good thing by being such a klutz with electrical... seriously though thanks for all of your work, that is great and Im glad your getting a second look at it. I wasnt able to follow some of it anyway! :)

My bike is still nuded out in my garage so I still want to do this, I'm happy with whatever you can send our way.

I did do this and it has worked perfect so far. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it, but it basically worked just as described in my original post. I couldn't find a lighted switch in the style I wanted so I just added an LED next to the switch that would illuminate whenever the socket was energized. Here is a picture of the setup in my frunk.

View attachment 17029
Is there an always-on 12V connection on the bike (that is, not directly on the battery)?
Probably this has been asked a dozen of times before, but I couldn't find it on this fora.

Back