• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Building a NC700X into a "Communter Bike"

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
The subject of “Building a NC700X Commuter Bike” has come up several times on this forum and it has not been compounded into a single post for all to find quickly or easily. The following information is supplied as a “REFERENCE” for all that has been inquiring about building their NC700X into a “Commuter Bike”. Please review my recommendations separated into “Levels”. Each level will require a significant level of financial investment as you go up the levels.

Level 1 (Basic):

• Extended Windshield (e.g. Cee Baileys 20” Shield)
• Extra Storage or Cargo Capacity ( e.g. Package Rack, Side Bags, or Rear Trunk)
• Hand Guards (e.g. Barkbusters)
• Basic Accessory Electrical (e.g. 12V Accessory Port)
• Loud Horn (e.g. PIAA Sports Horn)

Level 2 (Intermediate)

• Heated Grips (e.g. Honda 08T71-MSG-A30)
• Advanced Accessory Electrical to Support Additional Accessories.
• Light Bar for Driving Lights (e.g. Honda 08P70-MSG-A30)
• LED Driving Light (e.g. X-Vision)
• Light Bar Mounts (e.g. PIAA)
• Rear Wheel Hugger (e.g. Skidmarx)
• Front Fender Extender (e.g. Pyramid)

Level 3 (Advanced)

• Fairing Deflectors (e.g. Honda 08R70-MSG-A30)
• Lower Wind Deflectors (Honda# Varies for Trans. Type)
• Throttle Rocker II (Velcro Version)
• Touring Front Seat (e.g. Corbin)

It is recommended to use all of Honda’s products for all electrical connections for all accessories.
You will need the following items:

• Sub-Harness – Honda 08A71-MSG-D30
• Relay Kit – Honda 08A70-MSG-D30
• 12V Accessory Socket – Honda 08V71-MSG-D30
• Heated Grips Attachment Kit – Honda 08T71-MSG-D30, if using the Honda Heated Grips.

If you are planning to use the Honda Rear Trunk or Side Bags, you will need the following items:

• Rear Trunk, 45 Liters – Honda 08L55-EWL-100E
• Saddlebag Set, 29 Liters – Honda 08L76-MGS-A50
• Rear Carrier – Honda 08A71-MJJ-A30
• Bracket Set – Honda 08A74-MGS-J30

Outfit your bike to fit into your riding style and budget. It’s alright to “Mix n Match” any of these items listed above.

IMG_2418.jpg

Happy Motoring!!! :cool:

You'd need the $200 list 08L73-MGS-A30 saddle bag support brackets to hang the bags.
08l73-mgs-a30-1.jpg

"Significant level of financial investment" is true. List price of the complete Honda luggage set with hardware and cowl/saddle bag trim panels is $1580. If you buy all the accessories that Honda offers specifically for the NC700X, you're at $2600 list.

Last edited:
Why would I need any of that stuff to ride four miles to work?

Who said that anyone was driving only 4 miles to work?

Commuters have different "Needs" than just "Casual Riders". You need a place to put all your lunch in the morning and put all your cold weather gear you wore in the morning to ride in.

At least where I'm at, it's 50 degrees the mornings and 80 in the afternoon when I leave, mostly year round. I have to put all my gear that I wore in the morning and the lunchbox somewhere, don't I? ;)

You'd need the $200 list 08L73-MGS-A30 saddle bag support brackets to hang the bags.
View attachment 16382

"Significant level of financial investment" is true. List price of the complete Honda luggage set with hardware and cowl/saddle bag trim panels is $1580. If you buy all the accessories that Honda offers specifically for the NC700X, you're at $2600 list.

Thanks for advising us of my overlook!!!

I do not have these, so it was easy for me to forget about them.

I only paid $1,300 for 13 Honda Accessories when I bought the bike. They wanted over $1,500, but the Costco Program "Forced" them to honor the 15% off all accessories.

I tried to help someone to get the same deal here on this forum, but that dealer was not playing by the Costco rules that were set forth to be a "Costco Approved Dealer".

I would add, depending on where you live, handlebar muffs. They made a huge difference for me this winter in the 10-30 degree range.

Who said that anyone was driving only 4 miles to work?

I think Mike Cash said his commute was only 4 miles... Though he could have also been talking about my commute...

I probably won't be commuting to work on the bike until next week, weather is nice enough (morning lows in the 30's and highs for the ride home nearing 60!) but it's still too dark to avoid the fresh potholes consistently (not an issue in the fall when the potholes have been patched, but even in car some of those potholes from this winter are monsters.)

I only paid $1,300 for 13 Honda Accessories when I bought the bike. They wanted over $1,500, but the Costco Program "Forced" them to honor the 15% off all accessories.

I tried to help someone to get the same deal here on this forum, but that dealer was not playing by the Costco rules that were set forth to be a "Costco Approved Dealer".

Well I'd say that guy lucked out if he lost out on the 15% off Costco deal since 25-30% off accessories is more the norm. You can buy ALL the Honda luggage, brackets, and the bag and side cowl panels for $1068, which is 32% off list. I'm just trying to say 15% off is not a deal, although dealers and Costco would have you believe so. But to each his/her own.

Last edited:
At least where I'm at, it's 50 degrees the mornings and 80 in the afternoon when I leave, mostly year round. I have to put all my gear that I wore in the morning and the lunchbox somewhere, don't I? ;)

How much gear do you wear at 50 that you don't at 80? Maybe a jacket liner if that's as cold as it is. You California guys must be delicate if you need more than that

Yes I'm joking

Well I'd say that guy lucked out if he lost out on the 15% off Costco deal since 25-30% off accessories is more the norm. You can buy ALL the Honda luggage, brackets, and the bag and side cowl panels for $1068, which is 32% off list. I'm just trying to say 15% off is not a deal, although dealers and Costco would have you believe so. But to each his/her own.

Yes, you are right on this. Most of the parts came out of American Honda, which is Torrance, CA and a 45 minute drive from my place. They ordered the parts, all but the Brackets were there at the dealer the next day. If I "Shopped Around", it woud have been over a week to get them all in. Also buying from several different dealers in several states would have slowed things down in my situation. Sure I paid a little more, but I got most of these items the next day... :)

The dealership where I bought this bike from is know for "SHADY" activity to say the least. They normally charge 120% over retail and bring the price back to "Retail" to give the customer the flase sense of a "Good Deal". To quote someone else what they told me, "You did better than most who buy from that dealer."

If you look at it with known information. I effectively got 35% off their listed prices...

How much gear do you wear at 50 that you don't at 80? Maybe a jacket liner if that's as cold as it is. You California guys must be delicate if you need more than that

Yes I'm joking

It's mostly safety gear. You have to look like an astronaut to cover all the required safety equipment to survive California Traffic… ;)

Some days I feel like one of King Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table. :eek:

Customization of a motorcycle is a matter of personal choice and I appreciate the choices the author makes. My opinion is the Honda accessories are overpriced and lack functionality compared to some aftermarket brands. The first thing I add is a 12 volt outlet to power an air compressor for tire repair on the road. Honda's accessory harness is fuzed at 7.5 amps and can't run a portable compressor that draws 15 amps. The Honda heated grips are very expensive and based on owner complaints fail more often than aftermarket brands that are about 75% cheaper.

I think Mike Cash said his commute was only 4 miles... Though he could have also been talking about my commute...

Just four miles and about fifteen minutes for me.

My cold weather gear goes either under a table at work or into my truck and along on the job with me.

I'd hate to have a lunchbox so large it wouldn't fit in the frunk. With a 45 liter Givi box and the frunk combined I can haul all my food for the whole week at work (six days, eighteen meals).

I have a combo 12v/USB outlet and heated grips, but I sure as heck didn't install them for commuting.

A bike cover keeps me from having a damp seat in the morning when I get off work, I pretty much have the same set up , with some different name brands as Brillot 2000 makes my daily grind a little easier.

The first thing I add is a 12 volt outlet to power an air compressor for tire repair on the road. Honda's accessory harness is fuzed at 7.5 amps and can't run a portable compressor that draws 15 amps. The Honda heated grips are very expensive and based on owner complaints fail more often than aftermarket brands that are about 75% cheaper.

The "1 Amp" that comes with the Honda 12V Accessory Plug is quite conservative to say the least. A Cell Phone Charger would draw far less than that. The body is "plastic" and could manage up to 5 Amps continuously, anything above that would cause the contacts to heat up and distort the plastic body. Causing the plug installed to become "Stuck" inside of it as a result. Yes, a metal body DC Port would be the best for currents about 10 Amps of continuations use. The Main Accessory fuse of 7.5 Amps is to prevent damage to the wiring harness, you could possibly draw 15 Amps through for a short while before the wire begin to heat up and then melt. You should be using a minimum wire size of 16 AWG or larger for those types of current draws connected directly to the battery's terminals.

Beside, the battery on the NC700X is only rated at about 14.5 Amp/Hr. That means it can support a load of 14.5 Amps for an hour before it comes fully discharged. You have to take that into consideration too. The battery does not have an "Infinite" source of power. Running a DC Compressor puts a "Heavy Load" on the battery and its reserves. Try running that compressor with the engine turned "OFF" and then try to start it after an hour of continuous use. You find the battery will not have enough energy to turn over the starter motor.

Any accessory will "Fail", if it is not installed properly. Most people, including mechanics do not take "Vibration" in as a factor. Any loose or dangling wires and you are asking for troubles. All wires must be secured and are not to be "Stretched Tightly" where they need to move freely, like on the steering head. You must have what is refer to as a "Service Loop" to accommodate for these added movements and twisting of the cables.

The "1 Amp" that comes with the Honda 12V Accessory Plug is quite conservative to say the least. A Cell Phone Charger would draw far less than that. The body is "plastic" and could manage up to 5 Amps continuously, anything above that would cause the contacts to heat up and distort the plastic body. Causing the plug installed to become "Stuck" inside of it as a result. Yes, a metal body DC Port would be the best for currents about 10 Amps of continuations use. The Main Accessory fuse of 7.5 Amps is to prevent damage to the wiring harness, you could possibly draw 15 Amps through for a short while before the wire begin to heat up and then melt. You should be using a minimum wire size of 16 AWG or larger for those types of current draws connected directly to the battery's terminals.

Beside, the battery on the NC700X is only rated at about 14.5 Amp/Hr. That means it can support a load of 14.5 Amps for an hour before it comes fully discharged. You have to take that into consideration too. The battery does not have an "Infinite" source of power. Running a DC Compressor puts a "Heavy Load" on the battery and its reserves. Try running that compressor with the engine turned "OFF" and then try to start it after an hour of continuous use. You find the battery will not have enough energy to turn over the starter motor.

Any accessory will "Fail", if it is not installed properly. Most people, including mechanics do not take "Vibration" in as a factor. Any loose or dangling wires and you are asking for troubles. All wires must be secured and are not to be "Stretched Tightly" where they need to move freely, like on the steering head. You must have what is refer to as a "Service Loop" to accommodate for these added movements and twisting of the cables.
I choose a Marinco 12 volt outlet over the cheesy Honda one and run it directly off the battery, fuzed of course, with 14 AWG wire. Marinco rates the outlet at 15 amps and it is waterproof and has a locking male connector similarly rated. For an EE I surprised you overlook Puekert's Law. An 11 Ah battery like the OEM battery under a 15 amp load is discharged in a few minutes.....as amp draw goes up capacity drops. An 11Ah battery only gives 11 Ah if the amp draw is very small, say less than 1 amp. If you leave the ignition key ON the stock lighting amp draw will kill the OEM battery in a few minutes, a fraction of an hour. BTW, its the same battery as in the ST1300.

When I require use of the compressor for a roadside tire repair I run the engine at a fast idle to stay ahead of the amp draw if the pump is going to run for any length of time. But use the Honda harness if you like just don't tell me to use it for all my electrical accessories....it's far too limited - much like the quartet harness on the ST1300. The accessory harness is simple plug and play for charging a cell phone but I prefer to design and install my own system for my needs. I don't commute on my bike which I bought with the idea of a simple economical "two or three states away" tourer, a role it fulfills well for me.

If you leave the ignition key ON the stock lighting amp draw will kill the OEM battery in a few minutes, a fraction of an hour.
I am proof of this. I accidentally killed my battery yesterday. I left the key on and within 30 minutes or less it was dead.

Back