• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is a Chinese clutch cable ok?

If you on an around the world trip........I might have an extra cable.

But Honda cables are well known for long life with very minimal maintenance...........so I question the need to have one on the bike. The stock cable average life might be 80-100k. Rust, moisture and dirt are the problem so just a little care pretty solve or avoids cable problems.

Honda secret to long life is lined cable and the cable itself coated .......so the cable slips in the in and out with minimal friction and effort. I might suspect the discount cable might not have the Honda features ????????

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw people here go on trips with clutch cables, and I'm trying to get all the reasonable spares at my disposal.

If you do want to have a spare one at home then, for that 100k replacement, do you take the original 20$ cable?

Edit: With your edit, guess the original cable makes sense.

Last edited:
If putting myself and the bike in situations where having a spare cable along is deemed necessary, I would not risk having a spare cable of unknown quality, just to save $10.

I’ve never had a clutch cable break, but I’ve seen a few pictures of failed cables, and they seem to fray at the ends, giving some visual indication of weakness before they break.

Last edited:
Since you can shift your bike without a cable and virtually any cable from another bike would also work. An extra cable would be "not on my bike"

It's true 'round the worlder's' do take extra cables with them ( and even extra levers/ visegrips). It's also sugested to install the spare (to make sure it works properly & you know how to do it). They also tape the two cables together so they run the same path. But it's not really a thing you need in the 'first world'.

I inspect my clutch cable every now and then (once in the spring and maybe once over the summer). The engine side is visible and takes a few seconds. The lever side takes a few minutes.

I’ve never had a cable break in the middle. Usually they will fray at the ends, usually at the lever end. You should have plenty of warning if you catch the fray in its early stages.

JT

The wire break at the lever is often the result of the socket in the lever being dry and corroded. The barrel end of the cable needs to be able to rotate when the lever is pulled. If it doesn't rotate, the cable gets work hardened and eventually individual strands of wire start to break.

Typically before the beginning of the season, I'll disconnect the clutch cable and remove the clutch lever I clean and regrease the socket in the clutch lever and also clean and regrease the lever pivot bolt and the perch on the handlebar. It can make a big difference in how easy it is to pull the clutch lever. :)

Even small things like the nylon bushing on the cable barrel makes difference in the cable longevity.

5FB3D658-C968-4E6A-A735-26A610E4D015.jpg

Honda could have added a rubber protection sleeve on the bottom for a small extra cost.

789F03B7-27FA-4F6A-A179-A72D9BD73856.jpg

Last edited:
Typically before the beginning of the season, I'll disconnect the clutch cable and remove the clutch lever I clean and regrease the socket in the clutch lever and also clean and regrease the lever pivot bolt and the perch on the handlebar. It can make a big difference in how easy it is to pull the clutch lever. :)
If you could upload pics next time you do it, would be great!

Back