• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Polycarbonate Windshield

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering a windshield upgrade for my 2016 NC 700X OEM windshield, what do you guy’s recommend and why?
All reply’s will be welcomed.

It would help to know what your goals are. Looks, ultimate wind protection, low cost?

The Madstad is very popular because it offers good wind protection with low buffeting. But some people are put off by the looks and some have interference problems with handguards.

I would be leary of mid height screens like the Givi or Honda touring screen, because they put the windblast at your neck or face and increase noise.

You are are definitely not the first person to ask such an open question about windscreens. I strongly suggest you read through existing forum posts on the subject, otherwise we’re just rehashing the same old information that’s already been posted. Here is a thread that is rather old, but discusses windshield choices: Best Aftermarket Windscreen (Links to each for comparison)

Note that windscreens made for 2012-2015 models do not fit 2016+ models.

Last edited:
^^^This.

I’d also say that if you go with a screen to provide much greater wind protection (i.e., a large screen) you’ll want to seriously consider getting Dale’s nut plates - these are threaded metal plates that sit behind the stock mounting holes to provide a much stronger and more stable base for the screen mounting bolts. The stock well nuts can have a hard time with the extra weight and force a large screen puts on them.

I use a CalSci screen - I was looking for wind & rain protection. I had to to get one made without the side “wings” (extensions) so my barkbusters would not hit at full lock left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a CalSci screen but it cracked. I like the Madstad replacement better. I wish I had gotten it a little taller than stock but it's still great. No interference with handguards.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

+1 one on the Madstad windshield. I have one with the winglets on my 2013 NC700XD with Kobra handguards with no problem.

The question is about polycarbonate windshields. I have a Madstad and love it. It is however acrylic...
MadStad Engineering FAQ I'm no expert on the screen materials for the other manufacturers listed but I like HarveyM's answer :)

Last edited:
I have multiple windsheilds for my 2012. The V Stream is far and away the best quality shield I have tried. It is very thick polycarbonate supported by very strong tubular steel bracket that is bolted to the bike. Optical quality is superb. If I knew I was going to take a bird strike, its the shield I'd want to be behind.

Last edited:
2 Madstads and love them. I have no actual use of other aftermarket brands. But the Madstads do the trick for dramatically increasing rider comfort as the speed & travel distance increase.

You should really also ask about what Oil and Tires people use and why....

:snickers: :eek: :rolleyes:

Having had several "naked" type bikes with various windscreens over the years you really just have to try them which is expensive and dumb. But your experience will greatly vary from others. See if you can get some used either here or e-Bay. Then if you don't like it you can sell it for basically what you paid (the "used" price). Maybe if you find someone who's the same height and with the same helmet you can get some idea.

FWIW - I just run the stock in the lowest position most of the time because I hate dirty air on my helmet. I got a Used OEM Tall screen, with plans to sell if it didn't work. Instead I just cut 2" off the top and it's fine when I need more protection. I get clean air to my helmet but it keeps more off my chest.

If I want to be in a bubble I'll get a cruiser or an ST1300.

Re: Dale’s Nut plates, do you have askurce, or link?

Any ideawhere I can get these nut plates? there are all kinds of t nuts available, but would also like to look at the Dale’s nut plates. Do you have a link?

Many Thanks. Willie

I’d also say that if you go with a screen to provide much greater wind protection (i.e., a large screen) you’ll want to seriously consider getting Dale’s nut plates - these are threaded metal plates that sit behind the stock mounting holes to provide a much stronger and more stable base for the screen mounting bolts. The stock well nuts can have a hard time with the extra weight and force a large screen puts on them.

I use a CalSci screen - I was looking for wind & rain protection. I had to to get one made without the side “wings” (extensions) so my barkbusters would not hit at full lock left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hello from Montreal area, recently acquired 2015 NC750X and looking for some wind protection. I can't see in the many threads on the subject someone who got the N20008 VStream Sport/Tour and have comments on it. This windscreen is the medium-sized, not the tall one. I have a VStream on my ST1300 since 2010 and I'm very satisfied of the product. Still like new. Looking for info on wind protection of the 20008 on the NX. Buffeting, noise?

Thanks.
Dan

Attachments

• vstream2.jpg
    vstream2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 139
I have the 2008. I also have the 2007 and 2009 screens so I have tried them all. For reference I am 5'8" and 30" inseam. The short screen puts a lot of turbulence and noise at about nose level. With the 2008 and 2009 I have less noise and turbulence but they are still there. The 2008 and 2009 seem about the same. I added an MRA X screen spoiler (the larger touring one) to the 2008. . It doesn't look the best but it works really good. I have very little noise and no turbulence. It gives me a very nice air pocket. I have tried the stock screen, an MRA Vario screen, a V strom screen, the ermax, both with and without a palmer bracker, the Honda tall touring screen, and an MRA vario that was on my old vstrom. I have experimented with various spacers and different angles. The 2008/MRA combo is far and away the best.

I have a 2014 Nc700x dct and wanted some wind protection. I bought the V-Stream polycarbonate windshield, the tallest one they had, but I did not like it at all. I am 5'11" tall, with a 29" inseam, and the turbulence around my helmet was so bad I thought I would go deaf. Last week I replaced it with a Madstad. I had had a Madstad on a 2005 Concours and loved it, so I thought I would try it on the NC700x. For me, it is perfect. I went on a 3 hour ride up in the mountains here in Colorado yesterday, and it all I hoped it would be. WAY better than the National Cycle product. As they say, your results may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I think Harvey said, only the Honda screens (both) and the National Cycle are polycarbonate, that I know of. I have the tallest Natl’l Cycle and it certainly blocks a lot of air (I see a mpg reduction when I use it). I don’t really like it, though, so I only use it for cold weather. The ultra-low-frequency, high amplitude noise that it puts into my helmet is horrible.

Back