• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

In need of carburetor genius! 600 vlx

TonySilver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody!

So I already posted this in the Honda shadow forum. Still, I know we have many experts here, and I want to accomplish this without taking it to the shop.

I already cleaned them, (carburetors) I removed all jets, all brass pieces. I used carburetor cleaner and compressed air. I used a wire and every part is free of dirt.

Now, they are back on the bike, ('94 shadow 600 vlx), bike will crank and be close to start, but it hasn't yet. I do not want to burn the starter. I also know that I probably contaminated the oil from when the carbs were closed but I want to replace the oil until I know for sure bike is starting and running right.

What am I missing? There is fuel in the carbs I check the screw that is used to flush them.

I'm thinking of push starting it. Could the sparks be wet and they don't spark up?

Thank you, for taking the time to read this.

Tony

first principles... spark plus flammable mix = running...

try using some starting fluid (ether) and see if it will run for a few seconds.

vacuum operated petcock? maybe it is effed...

first principles... spark plus flammable mix = running...

try using some starting fluid (ether) and see if it will run for a few seconds.

vacuum operated petcock? maybe it is effed...

^^^^great places to start. Did you run a small wire (safety wire, guitar string) through all the passages also? I use pinesol and soak the bodies for 2 days, then use a wire first and then compressed air to clear the passages.

Try the starting fluid first. if it tries to start - it is probably fuel related.

Did you remove the idle mixture screw when you cleaned the carb? If that passage is plugged, it won't start even if the slow (low speed) jet is clear. Typically the idle mixture screw has some sort of anti-tampering head that needs to be removed before it can be unscrewed.

If it has a vacuum operated petcock, check that the diaphragm is working properly. I would try starting fluid as someone else has mentioned already.

Is it a grim job to get at the spark plugs on that bike? That's what I would check just to see if they show evidence of flooding.

Floats aren't stuck or misaligned? Are there any balance tubes or vacuum lines or anything not connected? Kinked fuel line?

What was the reason for the carb cleaning in the first place? Old gas from sitting around, dirty fuel, or rough running?

Hmmm what else... throttle cable hooked up ok at the actuator? (push/pull spool)

Choke cable stuck open or closed?

Sorry that's about all I have lol. I've never been a carb trouble shooter guy...:eek:

Thank you for replies.

Some of the answers to your questions. Yes, it was not running. I believe it sat a long time. Only has 3,99x miles. Spark plugs were dirty, they had lots of black carbon. After, I took them of and cleaned them, it almost started.

Floats are newish, apparently PO did a carb job. Everything is connected. All fuel and vacuum lines.

I did use a wire from a brush to clean the jets, ALL brass pieces came out. I did see very old gas, in one of the idle screws.

I'm surprised only one idle screw was in bad shape (meaning dirty), all others were not that bad.

Also, for some reason, first time it started, it happened with a push start and not with starter.

I will check the starting fluid. Also, I will check about the petcock.

Oh also, throttle pull cable is fine, return cable is not great, I'll replace when bike runs. Yes, I do need to have choke out to start it.

Thanks guys, I'll keep on working, I took some video of the carbs when, I cleaned them, I will see if I can put in YouTube.

Good luck Tony! I hope it's not too frustrating an endeavor, let us know how it's coming along :)

How is the air filter? No mice or birds nests lurking in there, lol? Or half plugged mufflers, that can happen too sometimes, with the little furred beasties.

If it's trying to start, but stumbling, I don't *think* it could be electrical, as far as chewed wires and such.

Good luck Tony! I hope it's not too frustrating an endeavor, let us know how it's coming along :)

How is the air filter? No mice or birds nests lurking in there, lol? Or half plugged mufflers, that can happen too sometimes, with the little furred beasties.

If it's trying to start, but stumbling, I don't *think* it could be electrical, as far as chewed wires and such.
Thanks!

All I have to say, it lives!!

Thank you guys for help.

So, this is what I did, cleaned the spark plugs. It did not fired.

Checked the coils, they were fine. Check for spark, it was there, finally replaced all spark plugs. AND IT DID UP FIRST TRY!

THANKS!

PS: I'm replacing the throttle cables. I will post pictures when up and running. Our else, as OCR says: "It did not happen".

Tony

Back