• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Super adventure

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm starting to plan an epic multi month ride around north America on the good ol ncx. I have no idea where I'm going, but I have a passport already so that's nice.

Right now I have the oem luggage, but I just ordered bigger saddlebags, I might keep the rear trunk... I'll decide on that later. I'll sell the oem stuff on the site when the time comes. I also ordered a center stand as I should have done that already but being on the road it will be essential. Although i like the stock windscreen I will probably pick up a taller screen as well. Anything I'm not thinking about?

Tools and stuff like that I'll worry about when the time comes.

I'm going to be camping as much as I can and since I am a backpacker I have everything I need there, skills and all that.

Wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you people, bamamate, 670cc, mpgandfun, double goes to you'll.

Moisture wicking clothes will make for quick wash and wear. They have moisture wicking underwear now even! Add a waterproof bag and some laundry detergent and you can let them wash while you ride. Rinse them out, then toss them in a mesh bag and ride some more and you have clean dry clothes. No need to sit around a laundromat.

Whatever you feel you must have and pack it, you will likely realize on the road you don't need half of.

If you don't have a throttle lock, that would be high on my priority list as your wrist will likely be the first to feel the strain of long rides. Maybe an airhawk seat cushion if you are using the stock seat. Highway pegs would be nice as well. Madstad seems to be the most liked windscreen with National cycle coming in a close second. Handgards (mainly for wind and rain protection) are nice as well.

A charging outlet for charging your electronics.

Earplugs

Raingear or a riding suit that is waterproof when vents zipped up.

Mesh jacket... I remember crossing the South this time of year, and I wore that mesh jacket more than anything else!

As it stands now my bike has barkbusters and seat concepts seat on it. I have two 12v plugs, one on the outside that runs off of a relay to the key, and one in the frunk that is connected directly to the battery with a toggle switch.

I like my gear, tourmaster mesh jacket with liners, mesh over pants, waterproof motorcycle boots. I have a heated jacket, chaps, and grips. I also have a rain suit that works pretty well. I'd hate to bring all of that as it eats up so much space but it will be well worth it if needed.

Being a backpacker I'm not worried about over packing, I'm already wired to only bring the things I need, and not needing 7 change of clothes.

Being a backpacker I'm not worried about over packing, I'm already wired to only bring the things I need, and not needing 7 change of clothes.

If your a backpacker, you have the battle already half won on packing. I have the seat concepts seat and you may be OK with that if it is broken in. Mine has continued to get more and more comfortable the longer I use it.

You say you are just starting to plan. I don't know your time table so all this may be irrelevant.

Do put a lot of thought into your route. But, have more than one. You may want to avoid a rain or even heat front. If going "around" the US, don't go through the desert in the summer. Don't try to see everything - you won't. Do make a list of major sites you want to see and try.

Post up your route with updates. There are some of us that will ride a few hunnert miles just meet ya.
(Stratuner rode over 400 miles just to meet and spend a night in the woods with one member here. The Grand Canyon was a bonus.)

When the plan jells, post it in the appropriate section. You may get offers of free tent space and showers (I'm one). Or, someone to tag along for a few miles.

I've never attempting anything remotely like this, but all I can say is NEVER plan a ride through Arkansas in July/August ... KnoWhatImeanVern?

I've never attempting anything remotely like this, but all I can say is NEVER plan a ride through Arkansas in July/August ... KnoWhatImeanVern?

THIS! 100 degrees + 100% humidity makes riding any time except early morning or at night absolutely awful. Come in the fall as the leaves start to turn colors. Arkansas at it's best then :)

If everything goes right I'm looking at early spring heading southwest from Virgina. I have family outside of Dallas so that would be my first "destination" just don't know how long it will take to get there.

Multi-month trip? I'm officially jealous.

Unlike itlives, I don't plan too much when I travel. I have areas I'd like to see and then pick a route the day or a couple of days before. There are too many interesting things I see "over there" to travel in a straight line....more like roving. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm easily distracted......squirrel!

The best trip I've ever had involved little planning and just a direction.....what a blast. Hope to do it again before summer is over.

Good luck on your trip and do let us know when you come through Arkansas.
Mike

I'm like Bug Dr. If I have an itinerary then I'm focused on staying on time and skip things that I later regret. I prefer the general direction approach.
Past weekend I met a dude on a Gold Wing from NY state on a 30 day trip wondering around. He liked Arkansas so much he stayed a couple of days instead of blasting through.

I'm like Bug Dr. If I have an itinerary then I'm focused on staying on time and skip things that I later regret. I prefer the general direction approach.
Past weekend I met a dude on a Gold Wing from NY state on a 30 day trip wondering around. He liked Arkansas so much he stayed a couple of days instead of blasting through.

Wait a second.....you were on a DS ride last weekend....that guy must've been really lost ;)
Mike

You guys are both talking about rides not involving others. If you do involve other riders, more than likely, there will some kind of plan - if only day by day.
My only plan on the Grand Canyon trip was to meet some guys I had not met before. I did!
Then, we just rode. It was all good.

My main plan when I take off on a big trip is to put as many miles behind me as possible on the first day. Pretty much open after that.

BugDr. - I think the day rides you do are always interesting (and too curvy for me- lol). I like eating. We always wind up at a good food place.

The best ride will always be the ride that does not have a destination. To me a destination is the place to which someone or something is being sent as quickly and affordably as possible.. I have gone on many great rides with no destination. No hurry to get no where quickly! Just grab the tent and go enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back