• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Maybe I Just Have Bad Luck With Drive Chains

Josh H

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to clean my D.I.D. VX2 X-ring chain today and noticed some little pieces of rubber sticking out from where the X-rings are on the chain. I saw this in several places throughout the entire chain. It looks as though the X-rings are breaking and coming apart. I'm not sure why this would be happening. I've put maybe 10k miles on the chain in normal conditions and meticulously clean and lube it every 500-800 miles. To clean I use Honda Chain cleaner, a grunge brush, and a soft cloth. I lube it with Maxima chain wax.

IMG_4953.jpg
IMG_4954.jpg

THEN, while inspecting it closer I noticed this!

IMG_0236.jpg

That's the Master Clip and if you can't tell the rounded part of the clip is completely gone. The only thing holding it on is the black RTV silicone and the safety wire. This is the THIRD clip master link I've used on this chain. The other two just disappeared after only a few days of riding. No idea how this could have happened. Chain slack is in spec and both front and rear sprockets have no abnormal wear on them. Needless to say, I will be getting a rivet style master link this time, but what about those x-rings? What could be causing them to tear?

I can't say much about the master link clip, but as for the X-rings and such, I have a hunch you're messing with the chain too much. All that brushing and solvent cleaning sounds destructive. I've only cleaned my chain once or twice in 13,000 miles, and the chain is still in good shape. Going forward I'm using less messy lubes like Motul and Chainsaver, that seem to collect less dirt. I spray it with a lube now and then, but otherwise, just ride. I think with chains, less attention is better than too much.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with that same chain. DID VX 2 520 PITCH 114 LINKS. They wear well for me. 14 k usually. I started with the clip links but found them unreliable. Use the rivet links. You can order them online. Use chain lube that is o-ring or X ring safe. Some lubricants break down the rubber o-rings. Don't use those.

I get about 16k miles on my chains. I change sprockets at the same time also. In a few cases I have seen the grunge brush damaging O rings and X rings. Also I spray lube the chain every 400 to 500 miles using DuPont Chain Saver. I never use any degreaser on a chain to clean it. Heck, I never clean a chain!

I'd agree with the brush hurting the soft o-rings. I know its incredibly controversial but I only use wd40 on a heavy duty paper towel, I wipe the chain down every few tanks. Never noticed a problem. Doesn't attract road grime like the chain lubes I've used in the past. With chain lube I've noticed the residue is gritty after a few rides, to me since the o-rings seal in the grease, the trick is to keep them clean so they can do their job. With the wd40 I never notice the grittiness to be there.

could be a bad batch of `x ` rings supplied to did ...I have an h ring chain so far no problems . I have looked at my old chains and found some rings go brittle..i only ever use gear oil in a lubeman and never clean..get about 17k per chain (totally knackered by then ..but only in a few links )
Sometimes the X or H have thin lines from moulding that come off to.
Maybe check the alignment as the link should not have split..i rivet but friends are happy to use links on more sportier bikes than my nc
Check you haven't a build up of dirt/grease or grasses around the front sprocket as that can rub on the rings too.

Here I was worried about not cleaning my chain in 5k miles. What a relief. I need to figure out a way to use my pitbull stand to lift the NC and avoid buying the center stand. On my CBR600RR the chain lasted 13K but I suspected I had something to do with it by over scrubbing with a grunge brush and "chain safe" degreaser.

I suspect, as others have said above, that your cleaning of the chain is excessive and also that the Brush might be causing the damage. Like others on here I never clean a chain. I use a chain oiler, and that action alone keeps the most important parts of the chain clean automatically. Centrifugal force around the sprockets does the rest.

Imho the use of a master link with a clip is not advisable on a modern motorcycle. It is well known that they can cause chain failure with the disastrous consequences that such a failure can entail. I suggest that you get a riveted link put into that chain before such a failure occurs. Under no circumstances would I ride the bike again in the condition shown in your shot. You are lucky that it has not failed already.

Don't use a brush. It may hurt the O/X-rings. And you don't need to clean it so often. (I'm doing it once or twice a year and it's ok because I'm using an automated chain lubrication system with Scottoil - similar with a 80/90 gearbox oil). I may flush it with water after a rainy day...

Also be sure that the cleaning fluid and the lube are compatible with O/X rings.

Replace the current chain ASAP!

if you 'must' clean your chain-i would suggest a kerosene in regular spray bottle. and old tooth brush. i've been using it for years.just spray it,while turning the rear wheel, then put brush to each side and roll the rear wheel again. let it dry and spray lube. you don't have to literally brush each link. it looks like the problem is in the 'cleaner' and as been said-you probably doing it too often

product_detailed_image_29945_102.jpg

One of the biggest causes of early chain failure is aggressively over-cleaning a chain or using harsh chemicals. Clean only when necessary, and lube with a proper product (not WD40) every 500 miles. That's it. No fancy and complicated automatic oilers needed. You will do more harm than good by being too obsessive compulsive with your chain.

Thanks, guys. I definitely won't be riding this bike until I can get the chain replaced. My 24k mile service is coming up so I'm gonna be changing the chain and both sprockets while I've got it apart. I'll also stop using the grunge brush. I suspect that's the main cause of the x-rings being damaged. Thanks again!!

I would contact Honda there was a recall on the chain on the 2012 model as there were two different chains that were put on those models, mine was fine but a decent Honda powerhouse dealer will know if the recall applies here
brad

The recall was for the original stock chain. The VX2 X-ring is not a stock chain so the recall would not apply here.

Despite my best efforts to the contrary, I've always had very good experiences with chains, lol. Never have, and never will clean a chain. Nope, not doing it. :eek: Spotty lubing when I can remember to do it, the toe of my boot used for checking slack, and any adjustments followed those: "but they're never accurate!" hash marks on the swingarms.

[broken record] The one and only time I "treated" myself to a spendy new chain and had a dealer install it, with a rivet master link instead of the circlip style I've always used, was the one and only time I've ever had a chain failure. [/broken record]

*shrug* YMMV is so true, lol.

Agree with the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WD40 on a terry towel is all the cleaning that is done if needed.

( no offence instead) I would a also add ..........I would look for user abuse or install error as the first suspect in the failed clip. I say abuse in looking further at these cleaning/brushing procedures as some how damaging the clip. ????????????????

Again a repeat of prior posts:
My experience is similar in the shop I worked poorly installed rivets were 10 times more common than clip problems and clip problems were install issues as well, especially with oring chains because the outer link was not pushed on correctly. The outer link must be pressed in placed and carefully measured, the clip does little or "work" when properly installed.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread I no longer feel bad about having never cleaned my chain on the NC (still clean the one on the bicycle from time to time)

lube it up every other tank, and keep on riding.

Thanks to this thread I no longer feel bad about having never cleaned my chain on the NC (still clean the one on the bicycle from time to time)

lube it up every other tank, and keep on riding.

Me three! Probably cleaned mine twice in 18K miles but I only ride pavement.

Are you installing the master link clip in the proper direction? That's all I've ever used on my dirt bikes, and I've never had one pop off.

Back