• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750S vs 750X suspension for heavyset rider ...

afe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I do not yet own a motorcycle or a license to ride one, but today I took one of the mandatory classes we have to do here in Sweden while training for the license. The class is intended to teach you about the risks with riding a bike, and how to handle them. For example, we got to test the practical effects of riding at 70 kph instead of 50 kph in terms of stopping distance (reaction and breaking), we also got to try what happens when you apply the front break or roll off the gas while cornering, as well as what happens if you press the clutch while cornering (without touching the breaks or anything else). The clutch was i.m.o. the worst of those :)

Anyway, the safety school that organized this class uses NC750S, and I found it was a really really easy bike to ride (I only have Honda Hornet 600 and Yamaha XJ6 to compare with, but still) - it felt much lighter than those bikes, even if the weight is about the same. (Of course it also lacks some of the power.)

One thing I did not like though, was that the suspension felt really really soft (my weight is 130 Kg/286 lbs). On one of the four bikes I tried it even bottomed just by me sitting on it and the staff said the suspension on all bikes should be at the stiffest setting, but they also were aware of the softness.

Now, the 750S is really a bit small for me, and I've been looking at the 750X - do you guys know if the suspension on that is stiffer than on the S model?

I weigh 265 lbs and put about 40 lbs of gear on the rear seat for camping and I have not bottomed out the suspension yet. I am sure that more experienced travalers will chime in.

First I thought it might be that those bikes were trainers, but none of them had more than 1500 km on the odometer (they're only used on the training track). I guess the S version is quite a bit softer then, so I'll have to find and test drive a 750X when I get my license :)

As a side note: after the training I visited a friend to buy some gear that is now too large for him, and he let me sit on his beloved Triumph Tiger 1050. That bike looked really scary and large after riding the much smaller bikes the schools here are using, but when I got on it it actually was not bad at all. I think small horns started to grow at my temples when I realized that a used Tiger would actually be rather cheap to buy, and the insurance is very close to that of the NC750X for me.

I also realize that 115 BHP with almost exactly the same dry weight as the 750x might not be ideal for a beginner (and the mileage is of course a lot worse). Why do we have to have so many choices in life? :)

I guess the S version is quite a bit softer then, so I'll have to find and test drive a 750X when I get my license :)

Here is the US we do not have the "S" model, so it is hard to make a comparison to it. I've rode my son, which is 6' 2" and 130 lbs, I weigh 193 lbs, that's 323 lbs combined. I did not have any issues with the suspension bottoming out when we rode around. Sounds like the "S" model might have lighter suspension.

In the beginning, you wanted to get a DCT model. Do you still want to do that? If so, the choice is obvious to get the NC750X...

Do not limit yourself and missing out on a good thing and getting a "NC750X"... :)

Attachments

• NaNCy_53114.jpg
    NaNCy_53114.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,545
Yeah, DCT looks really nice (but I of course have to try one), but then the little devil on the other shoulder ignores all advantages of a bike like this and screams "Powwwwerrrr!!!" (I think he heard too much of Jeremy Clarkson). I did feel a bit underwhelmed by the 750S and the engine behaviour today - I thought it would be better at low revs than it felt to me, but again - the bikes I rode had only been used on the track, so they were not exactly "broken in" properly ...

I actually liked manual gearbox on the 750S a lot though - it was really easy to feel where the neutral is, and shifting was flawless (at least from the bikes point of view). These bikes make me confused :)

Yeah, DCT looks really nice (but I of course have to try one), but then the little devil on the other shoulder ignores all advantages of a bike like this and screams "Powwwwerrrr!!!" (I think he heard too much of Jeremy Clarkson). I did feel a bit underwhelmed by the 750S and the engine behaviour today - I thought it would be better at low revs than it felt to me, but again - the bikes I rode had only been used on the track, so they were not exactly "broken in" properly ...

I actually liked manual gearbox on the 750S a lot though - it was really easy to feel where the neutral is, and shifting was flawless (at least from the bikes point of view). These bikes make me confused :)

The "NC Family" is in a class of its own and cannot affectively compared to anything else without falling short, especially in the Horse Power to Displacement Department. It's not a "Rocket Ship" nor will you set an land speed records on it. This bike "Shines" in the Torque department. Full torque from an idle to redline. Also the mileage in the terms of fuel consummation is quite impressive, that's where other bikes in same the displacement class fall short.

Any DCT riders on this forum will tell you it is "Great" and a there's nothing else like it. I've seen manual owners wishing that they got the DCT. "PUREST" hate it, "OPEN MINDS" love it. It's mixed bag to say the least. I am a 27 year riding veteran and an engineer. I "LOVE" it.

I would definitely recommend that you do a Test Ride, if dealers in your country allow it. Once you do, please report back in with your review.

Last edited:
I will defenitely do a test ride (I would never consider buying any vehicle, and a bike specifically, if the dealer would not let me do that) as soon as I get my license. I do have a feeling that the DCT might be better than the manual, since even if I liked it I found it kinda hard to get a feel of what gear should be used (and the school staff also felt the engine is kinda harsh if you're not inte the exactly right gear). I consider myself pretty open minded so far, since I haven't actually owned any bike so far.

I do have a slight feeling that maybe these bikes, however newbie friendly they are, might actually be better suited for more experienced driver who have "already been there, and done that". I'd love to take my license exam on one of these, since they felt as friendly as a scooter at all speeds (and most importand when doing very low speed which is the test I'm draring most), but I suspect I also might want to actually try and own a faster bike, and I'm fast getting close to the age when I'll be too scared to do any inspired riding at all :)

This is why I'm considering the Tiger - it still has an upright position, it has tons of torque and hp and it will be even cheaper to buy than the NC (a used one of course). I have not seen a single used 750X (with or without DCT) for sale here yet - maybe they'll start showing up next year when I'll actually buy a bike. Either way, if I buy a cheap tiger in good condition, I would have no problems selling it if I find it too much, too big or too anything. A second hand 750XD might be different due to the already mentioned purists and haters :)

Maybe I should just get rich and buy both ...

I will defenitely do a test ride (I would never consider buying any vehicle, and a bike specifically, if the dealer would not let me do that) as soon as I get my license. I do have a feeling that the DCT might be better than the manual, since even if I liked it I found it kinda hard to get a feel of what gear should be used (and the school staff also felt the engine is kinda harsh if you're not inte the exactly right gear). I consider myself pretty open minded so far, since I haven't actually owned any bike so far.

A second hand 750XD might be different due to the already mentioned purists and haters :)

Here is California, USA, most motorcycle dealerships do not allow Test Rides due to "Liability Concerns". There's huge worries of people getting injured and suing the dealership that allowed them to ride it and crash during the Test Ride. I had to sign a “Legal Wavier” to ride NaNCy before she came home with me, that was for only 4 miles (6.4 km). What a “Freak-n” hassle for such a short distance.

We here in the US only have the NC700Xs, no NC750Xs. I’m sure that you have the 700 models there in Sweden, you might want to look at these used. There will be far more of them in comparison. There's no significant difference between them, 5 more Horse Power and that's just about it.

You could get the NC700D at good prices here - maxi scooters aren't that popular, but the NC750D is a lot more expensive than both the 750X and 750S. I don't really get how Honda intended the pricing here ...

Back