• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New to the NCX

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm waiting for delivery of a new 2014 NC750X and a few questions but a few details about myself. This is not my first rodeo and have been riding for more than 40 years. I've owned so many bikes I've forgotten most. The last ones from memory have been a KLR, two Vstrom 650's, Yamaha FZ6 and I'm now riding a modified Yamaha FZ1 (150hp). I've had the FZ1 for only a year but it was one of those bucket things, ride a 185 mph bike (never rode it that fast). I've decided to sell the FZ1 because of the short range and gas mileage. I could only ride around 130 miles and was only getting 25-35 mpg depending on what map I was running and how I was riding. The NC750X appeals to me because of the high mpg, lower insurance rates and the upright sitting position, even more upright than the FZ1.

So some questions I have. I've never bought a bike that didn't require a seat upgrade. I can never understand how companies can engineer great bikes and just forget about the seat. How is the NX750X's seat. I know that the 700 had a slope forward and has slippery material. Did the improved seat on the '14 make it a good seat for the long ride? How strong are the brakes with the single disc up front? What tires come on the '14's and how are they? Is the single headlight bright enough for country night driving? Is the rear tire hugger a good idea?

Thanks in advance and hopefully I can a good contribution to the forum.

Welcome! :)

It's my understanding that the 750X seat is the same as the 700X seat but that the 750 seat has a bit grippier cover. The slope is still there.

Most people don't like the stock seat, but some find it acceptable. It depends on your physical attributes.

Some additional lighting and a rear hugger are very worthwhile additions.

The braking performance numbers for the 700X and 750X fall in line with many sport bikes. It's a non-issue in my book.

Welcome to the forum.

There was a short discussion about the seat differences here. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...4-2014-nc700-nc750-seat-vs-pre-2014-seat.html

I have read a few reports here where they have the Metzeler Z8 tires. I thought I had read somewhere there is another tires used too. I may be wrong.

You’re in Ontario right? I thought the 2014 NC750X in Canada had a brake setup with a front 320 mm wave disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper. ABS

I can't speak for the hugger. I don't have one and yes it gets messy back in the rear tire area when the weather is less than desirable. Probably not a bad idea. I jsut have not done it.

Thanks for the info. My local dealer has 2013 NC700X fully decked out with saddle bags, deflectors, larger windscreen and a few other things that he's selling for the same price as a stock NC750X. I decided the on the 14 because of the little extra power, updated seat, smoother engine with the extra balance shaft and the shift indicator.

The 2013's have combined ABS braking but the 14's don't. Did they use a better system? Why would they stop offering combined braking?

Hi RB welcome to the forum. I just recently aquired a new 2014 NC750S and am loving it.
Can not answer for the NCx seat but the NCs seat is kind of hard. I may be looking to adding a gel seat or similar.
This weekend is due to be sunny and warm so i will get out on a long ride and will find out.

I do not find the seat too slippery tho and there is room to move, forward back and the footpeg placement makes it easy to stand on pegs to stretch a bit.
In the video area of this site Cagerontwowheels gives an excellent review of the NCx - in that he mentions brake performance and tires.
Atleast in Europe he says the X came with Dunlop Trailmax tires. Cager also mentions the seat (improved compared to the 700x)

as mentioned above, my NCs came with Metzeler Interact Z8 tires. So far so good with grip and road feel.
I kind of like the non-combined abs. sometimes you only want to use the rear brake and now you can.

You’re in Ontario right? I thought the 2014 NC750X in Canada had a brake setup with a front 320 mm wave disc with twin-piston caliper; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper. ABS

I know it has the ABS but not sure on the brake set up. Did the states use different rotors/calipers on they're bikes?

Last edited:
I know it has the ABS but not sure on the brake set up. Did the states use different rotors/calipers on there bikes?

For 2012 and 2013

The USA got the choice of NC700X with Manual Transmission non ABS non Combined (aka Linked) brakes, or DCT with ABS and Combined brakes.

Canada got NC700S and NC700X, and only Manual Transmission with ABS and Combined brakes.

For 2014, USA gets NC700X with the same two configuration choices, except the brakes are no longer Combined on the DCT ABS.

For 2014, Canada gets NC750S and X, with Manual Transmission and ABS, no more Combined brakes. (Still no DCT either.)

The front caliper has three pistons on the old ABS/Combined models, only two on the new deleted Combined design. (and lack of associated valves, 'n plumbing, 'n extra hoses, and who knows what else, of course)

Be glad for the drop of the linked brake thing, if for nothing else than an outrageous cost for brake pads on the three piston caliper version!
:eek:

PS

Rubber baby buggy bumper. There, I said it. Sorry. It can't be helped lol :eek:

Last edited:
I for one like the combined brakes.

I don't hate them with any particular venom as they presently are set up, but for the life of me can't see the need for it? :confused:

If I'm using the front brake, I tend to only want the front brake in operation, and same with the rear, that's why I choose to pick one or the other as the situation demands. If circumstances arise that cause me to use both front and rear, well then I use both front and rear.

I approve the option available, but like ABS, I sure wish it was either user demand and pay, or had an off switch so those stuck with it, but didn't want it, weren't forced into the deal.

If you don't want the ABS you could just pull the fuse. Personally I like the ABS. I had it on my Vstrom and it was great. Being able to grab a handful of brake and no worries.

If you don't want the ABS you could just pull the fuse. Personally I like the ABS. I had it on my Vstrom and it was great. Being able to grab a handful of brake and no worries.

I've never ridden a bike with ABS but I think I would like it. If only I had know there was a DCT. I would have bought it instead.

I grew up learning to live with the consequences of one's actions when grabbing big handfuls of anything, let alone too much brake, lol. Fortunately, the ABS and linked set up has proven to be as non-icky to a diehard disliker of such as I could hope for, so I'm willing to live and let live. Good on Honda for their boffin's prowess there, to win me over. ;)

Also, it kinda has a reverse psychological effect on me. Removing the ability of something to do work that I had to pay for, seems rather insulting, somehow...

Hi, welcome to the forum. If your bike has the the same tyres fitted as the European 750X, it will be have Dunlops. Unfortunately by around 3000miles your tyres will be shot. They have a very heavy wear rate. I've sat on a 750X, but not ridden one and I thought the seat had been re-shaped, but others say no, so I can't confirm.

the seat has been reshaped that I can confirm.
seen both the 700 and the 750 sat next to each other in my local bike shop.
I think you are going to be hard pushed to sell the 700 as there isn't much price difference.
but this was a couple of months ago.

It looks like Honda is planning on dumping the 700's to the US market. They'll probably time the arrival of the NC750 when supplies of the 700's are gone.

For the life of me I don't understand the logic of not bring the DCT to the Canadian market or why the Americans can't get a manual version with ABS.

Hi, welcome to the forum. If your bike has the the same tyres fitted as the European 750X, it will be have Dunlops. Unfortunately by around 3000miles your tyres will be shot. They have a very heavy wear rate. I've sat on a 750X, but not ridden one and I thought the seat had been re-shaped, but others say no, so I can't confirm.

We'll lets hope it has the Metzeler tires. It doesn't say on the Honda.ca website.

Back