• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear shock spanner wrench??

I don't know, but I wish I did. I tried fiddling with it over the weekend using a hammer and a screwdriver... it was less than elegant.

*Subscribed for a more helpful response...

trey

I think I found the tool.

6yjy5a4u.jpg

Or this one..

zymyru4y.jpg

I will go get one tomorrow,or both and take back the one that diesn't fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear shock on the NC700x...or the CRF250 are not designed to be adjusted. They have threads only for serviceability. This is per a service bulletin sent out to us service managers by Honda.

The rear shock on the NC700x...or the CRF250 are not designed to be adjusted. They have threads only for serviceability. This is per a service bulletin sent out to us service managers by Honda.

I find that hard to believe,I didn't know the shock was sevicable!!.I'm still going to adjust the preload,it's about 1/4" from the top and there is about 1.5+" left below.
All the MC mags list the rear shock as preload adjustable!!

Last edited:
That's bizarre. Maybe they don't want Honda techs damaging threads and supplying new shocks to upset customers. Otherwise the OEM shock has adjustable preload.

I bought one of those generic spanners at powersports superstore or someplace like that. I had to reshape the tang at the end with a file to get it to fit the notch on the Honda shock.

One thing for sure is wear some heavy gloves when you're in there wrenching. It looks to be a real knucklebuster when that spanner wrench slips :eek:.

Greg

Reminds me of all those items that used to have the stickie that said "No user serviceable parts inside." Usually it covered one of the screw holes and tore when you tried to remove it. Doh! I am discovered. (sound of warranty being tossed into the crapper).

Honda says that the shock will work as provided up to the max rated load of the bike. If I wanted to adjust it against OEM advice and was worried about thread damage, I would remove it, apply a spring compressor to it, and adjust it without spring force on it.

Worked ok but the 3/8" ratchet kept falling off because I had to go in the hole from the bottom becuase the inner fender cover is sooo close to the shock.So I grabbed a old semi worn out ratchet and welded it to the tool and it worked AWSOME !!.
Took me about 5 minutes to set up the preload!!.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362260886.982422.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362260900.196752.jpg

one of the reasons honda does not want you to change the preload is, the shock spring may coil bind, if it does it will brake the top spring retainer, and collapse the shock, dropping the ride height of the bike, and maybe making you crash?? the more you preload a spring the worse the ride gets, if the bike is to be run off road, this could be a real problem, and worse with acc,, like saddle bags, or two up, and your static sag goes away, changing the steering head angle, making the bike handle differently. dale

That's odd the spring had to be adjusted with the adjusters to accomodate us "Novice" riders the bike was made for. Using a long metal rod and a soft blow hammer works fine. One turn is worth about 1/4 inch. You really can't get a spanner in there. Just spin both nuts together if you can't separate them.

That's odd the spring had to be adjusted with the adjusters to accomodate us "Novice" riders the bike was made for. .

I think some believe (including Honda ?) that the spring does not have to be adjusted for most riders and it might be possible the novice is the least likely to benefit from an adjustment.

That's odd the spring had to be adjusted with the adjusters to accomodate us "Novice" riders the bike was made for. Using a long metal rod and a soft blow hammer works fine. One turn is worth about 1/4 inch. You really can't get a spanner in there. Just spin both nuts together if you can't separate them.

This fits in there just fine ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362412158.247917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362412180.762464.jpg

I have that double ended spanner, and its a pain ... its just really big to squeeze in there. and I had to file the tip a bit to fit on the collar correctly

Last edited:
Back