• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmets

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to know if anyone finds that a full face helmet blocks their vision? Every time I have tried one on I find that I cannot see as well. If people are standing to my side it is like the helmet blocks them, I cannot even where a 3/4 because the side of the helmet bothers me. I would like to wear something safer since I am getting a bike other then a cruiser and since I have health issues I am thinking I need better safety gear just in case I crash. I used to wear sneakers until last summer when I lost feeling in my foot and it came of the peg. I was lucky to only lose a toe nail but I hear work boots are not safe either. I am not giving up riding just need to be more aware of safety. If anyone can suggest a helmet that would not block my sight I would appreciate it or I will continue to wear the one I have.

Helmets have different fields of view. I chose one which is "max vision", meaning the visor is a bit larger. Never bothered me much, I dot not drive sideways ;)

As for protection, I always wear riding boots, leather riding gloves, riding pants and jacket, and an airbag vest. In a few slides I destroyed some equipment (boots, gloves and leather pants) but never hurt myself significantly so far. This may explain that.

When Bell came out with the first full-face helmet in the 70s, it had a small opening but the next generation which I believe they called "The 120" had 120-degrees of vision to either side, which is beyond the vision capabilities of humans. And that same cutout dimension has been used by helmet makers ever since.

You should ride with one for a while, then you'll become accustomed to them. One thing to remember - the more of your face/head is open and unprotected the more likely those areas will be hurt in an accident.

What you are feeling may be a mild form of claustrophobia or perhaps blind spots along the edges?

Last edited:
I wear full face HJC helmets because they fit me well. I can’t speak for other brands, but with mine, I cannot see the edges of the viewport in my peripheral vision when I’m looking forward. I find the helmet causes absolutely no reduction in my field of view. I’ve ridden with full face helmets for over 40 years, and vision limitation with a full face helmet has never been a concern. I suppose if you were new to it, it might concern you initially, but I think you’ll find it to be a non issue.

I find that the full face helmet restricts my vision far less then being in a cage.

But I wear glasses so my peripheral vision isn't exactly non-existent, but everything outside of where the glasses lenses sit has always been fuzzy for me (I can tell that there is something there, but identifying what without turning my head is not possible)
That being said those of us with four eyes have managed to function just fine for over 100 years, so most people should be able to manage (or admit that they can't manage a physical feat that a bunch of nerds with glasses have been pulling off for more than a century, should be a major blow to the machismo of the harley riders who can't wear a helmet because it impacts their vision...)

Last edited:
Keep trying different brands and styles - they do differ in fit and visibility somewhat both horizontally and vertically. You don’t say if you’re trying modular or non-modular. That might make a difference as well. After a very short adjustment period of my own with early versions, I am to the point now where I feel exposed and very vulnerable with anything other than my full face modular HJC. No visibility issues whatsoever and I can always flip it open if I need to or to just communicate better. Been wearing those now for 20 years.

Its going to come down to finding one that fits and then sticking with it. I felt the same as you with the helmet restricting my vision, but realized pretty quick, I could see everything easier even with the full-faced helmet than I could in my car.

As to the rest of the gear, get it. Wear it. Every time. Also, go ahead and get quality gear, and not just the least expensive - it needs to be good enough to save your life.

Contact your Insurance company and inquire about coverage - mine insures my safety gear (helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket) and will replace if it is damaged due to a wreck, no matter the fault. But you have to ask - my agent had to call me back after confirming.

Its going to come down to finding one that fits and then sticking with it. I felt the same as you with the helmet restricting my vision, but realized pretty quick, I could see everything easier even with the full-faced helmet than I could in my car.

As to the rest of the gear, get it. Wear it. Every time. Also, go ahead and get quality gear, and not just the least expensive - it needs to be good enough to save your life.

Contact your Insurance company and inquire about coverage - mine insures my safety gear (helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket) and will replace if it is damaged due to a wreck, no matter the fault. But you have to ask - my agent had to call me back after confirming.

Would you mind telling me what insurance company you have. Mine has never heard of this and I can get a quote from any insurance company.

I have Shoei helmets. They are cut back and provide excellent peripherally vision. Yes, go with quality gear the first time. It will be more expensive but then you will only pay once and have it for a long time. Look for boots that can be re-soled. Make sure you ask questions on the forum about people's experiences with the type of gear you are looking at. If it is to hot or cut wrong then you won't bother wearing it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a problem finding dealers with a large enough selection of helmets to try
With the cost of these things I know it’s hard to carry a large inventory
Jwhat

Full face or modular helmets with the chin bar down do not affect my field of vision except in certain non-riding situations like looking down to start a jacket zipper.

I wear a full face helmet because I like kissing my wife and chewing my food.

I remember the instructor at a riding course I took telling us the difference between the bodies of motorcyclists he had seen at accident scenes (he was a state trooper) and how easily it was to tell the ones wearing helmets.

The guys without helmets often looked they were just sleeping. "A tap on the melon is all it takes, doesn't even break the skin".

The guys killed wearing helmets had bodies disfigured and twisted unnaturally from trauma of broken arms, legs, spines. Just the head was perfect. He didn't mention chins but I guess it stands to reason.

I wear only full-face helmets; Arai because they fit me properly. Yes, they restrict my vision. I look with my eyes more than most, apparently? I have to tip my head down a bit to be able to read my instruments. Laterally, there's no restriction until I look sideways. Then I can see the edge of the eye port, though it's not that much of a restriction. As others have said, most cars (at least these days?) restrict my lateral vision more than my helmets do.

FOR THE RIDER WHO WANTS IT ALL

The Momentum INC Pro Bluetooth & QHD Camera Integrated Full-Face Helmet

Introducing the World’s First Intelligent Noise-Control™ Helmet

MOMENTUM HELMET - Sena

I would go back to wearing a full face helmet if I could get the Momentum helmet in my size (XXL or thereabouts) in white. I love the idea of a microphone to pick up ambient sound, no need for a modular helmet. I wonder if anyone at Sena has thought to install a small speaker on the outside of the chin bar?

I ride for over 20 years and love the Shoei helmets because of their handmade quality, visual range, comfort, waterproofness, aerodynamics, ventilation and highest safety of course. My first one was full faced, the second one a flip-up. Yesterday I bought the third one, again a flip-up. Riding it with the chin lid closed. I notice no limitations on the outer sides, where the lining starts, the visual area is almost just as wide as my eyes perception goes. The downside of Shoei is its price, but hey, I like to pamper my head in luxury.

For feet protection, just buy high leather boots which are specially designed for riding a motorcycle. These give good protection to the toes, foot and ankle against sliding on tarmac/concrete or piercing by sharp objects if you crash, even if your foot is stuck under the bike. Preferably avoid boots with laces, as these can easily hook on the peg or pedals, unless you tuck them in well before riding. Choose one size larger than you normally wear, to be able to put on thicker socks when it's cold. Try some on and feel if the shift and brake pedals are easily operated with enough feeling to it. This is important. Walking in comfort is less important as they are not designed for long walks.

Best advice is to visit a motorcycle shop, tell them what you seek and what you can spend on it. In general, a mid class helmet on average 300 and a pair of boots 100.

Back