• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yet another DCT question

Dang, but I figured as much. This will be a bike that gets a new battery every 4 years just out of an abundance of caution I can see.

Thanks Dave

Can you bump start a fuel injected bike if the battery is dead and there is no fuel pressure?

Can you bump start a fuel injected bike if the battery is dead and there is no fuel pressure?
Yes lots of guys, myself included have bump started our CB 1100s when the batteries finally died while out on a ride. I also helped a guy bump start his FJR when the battery died on him.

These new AGM batteries seem to die instantly. Starts fine then ride someplace, turn it off, come back out and they wont start.

Last edited:
The smart thing to do is get a charger wall adapter with a two prong plug. That plug should also plug into a set of small jumper clips to jump from another bike. Take it from a guy who had been given a jump. Also make certain you can unscrew the access bolts. Some specialty shops have thumb wheel bolts.

You mean like a battery tender pigtail on one end of the cable and jumper cable clips on the other end?

Depends. If the battery has enough energy to run the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel injectors but not enough to spin the starter at the same time it will probably bump start but if the fuel pump cannot spin up and pressurize the fuel injectors it will not bump start.

No, not at all. In existing models it's a matter of opening the frunk and removing two screws and a panel to expose the battery which sits behind the panel.
What he said ^^^

What I'd do is buy a small set of jumper cables and keep in the bike if you are that worried about it, or one of those small booster packs. I, personally, would probably opt for the jumper cables. Surely wherever it died, you could flag someone down to give you a jump. Then you wouldn't have to worry about keeping the booster pack charged and all that, or worry about it catching on fire like I think I've read of some cheapo booster packs doing. :D

Depends. If the battery has enough energy to run the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel injectors but not enough to spin the starter at the same time it will probably bump start but if the fuel pump cannot spin up and pressurize the fuel injectors it will not bump start.
We had to push start a buddy of mine the other day. He bought a used 2014 CBR1000RR from a guy, first bike. First ride out, we stopped for gas that night, he left his key on (headlight and tail light still on) while pumping gas, battery was weak, and wouldn't start when he tried to crank it again. We pushed him off in the parking lot no problem, crank right up.

The smart thing to do is get a charger wall adapter with a two prong plug. That plug should also plug into a set of small jumper clips to jump from another bike. Take it from a guy who had been given a jump. Also make certain you can unscrew the access bolts. Some specialty shops have thumb wheel bolts. No tools needed.

Another biggie is to disconnect the kickstand cable and short it out on the engine side. That cable and function is a security weakness in the DCT. If the wire breaks, you can’t put the bike in gear. This is a DCT only thing. It is an unneeded safety feature on such a tall bike.

Don’t look at me! I just learn stuff from people.
The safety interlock is there to keep people from riding off with the kick stand down.

Safety rules and interlocks to keep bike from starting in gear or with the kick stand down are first written down with someone's blood. There's no need for anyone else to write it down again.

What he said ^^^

What I'd do is buy a small set of jumper cables and keep in the bike if you are that worried about it, or one of those small booster packs. I, personally, would probably opt for the jumper cables. Surely wherever it died, you could flag someone down to give you a jump. Then you wouldn't have to worry about keeping the booster pack charged and all that, or worry about it catching on fire like I think I've read of some cheapo booster packs doing. :D
Lol at my age (71) it's not a huge concern. I have AAA plus and that would get me a 150 mile tow if needed. I'm sticking pretty close to home taking day trips and not taking the cross country tours much these days. That's why I traded in the FJR for the NC. Not sure how many more years I'll get to ride, but if I make another 4 (when it would most likely be due for another battery) that would be miraculous.... but I'm hoping lol

What he said ^^^

I have read that it's a bad idea to jump a bike off a car battery due to the difference in voltage. Of course I found this out after I tried to jump my C50 Boulevard off a car using a SAE adapter plug thingy. I blew the fuse in my pigtail. :rolleyes:

I have read that it's a bad idea to jump a bike off a car battery due to the difference in voltage. Of course I found this out after I tried to jump my C50 Boulevard off a car using a SAE adapter plug thingy. I blew the fuse in my pigtail. :rolleyes:
It's not a bad thing depending on how we do it. The donor battery car cannot be running. The jumper cables are hooked up with positive to motorcycle battery positive and the negative jumper cable connected to a convenient place on the motorcycle engine or frame it shouldn't hurt a thing. 12 volts is 12 volts.

Last edited:
It's not a bad thing depending on how we do it. If the donor car isn't running and the jumper cables are hooked up with positive to motorcycle battery positive and the negative jumper cable connected to a convenient place on the motorcycle engine or frame it shouldn't hurt a thing. 12 volts is 12 volts.
Ah, well I did at least two things wrong there lol. I had both positive and negative terminals connected to each other and had the car running.

Live and learn

I'm not seeing how the voltage is any different. The current potential from the car alternator is greater than that of the motorcycle's, but the voltage is the same. If it was a concern, just do the jump with the car engine off. You are then connecting to a car battery that is roughly 12.something volts at rest, same as the motorcycle's battery.

The fuse blew in the SAE pigtail because it was protecting the pigtail's wiring from melting. The pigtail's wire is way undersized for the current needed to run an engine's starter motor. It had nothing to do with the voltage.

Yes. Battery tender plug to alligator clips. Big ones.
Typical wire size for battery tender style cables is significantly undersized for jump starting a motorcycle engine. The voltage drop in the small wire will partially negate it's effectiveness for jump starting. However, if left connected to a donor battery for a period of time before attempting an engine start, the cable could serve to partially recharge the dead battery.

A thorough understanding of the relatively simple Ohm's Law goes a long way in these situations.

Back