• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wonder why motorcycle companies are now posting ABS disclaimers?

I don't think is something new being reported. My 2009 BMW G6650gs with ABS had a similar disclaimer in the owner's manual. The ABS does work on gravel but the tire did lock up on gravel but it was like a skip; wheel would lock up, unlock, lock up, unlock, multiple times within a few feet-not an issue on wet pavement, just did it on gravel.

Disclaimers are not something new and need to be out there for people who think ABS can stop a vehicle in any situation and drive with that in mind.

Have you ever read all the disclaimers on prescription drugs?

Last edited:
.... for people who think ABS can stop a vehicle in any situation and drive with that in mind...

You are absolutely right. People refuse to educate themselves and that is one of the reasons we see so many disclaimers.
The goal and definition of ABS was spell out long time ago. It’s not only about stopping.
Let’s see what our governing body, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), says about that:

View attachment 21726

lootzyan: Exactly!!!! All these car companies coming out with more and more 'safety' devices, which make drivers dumber and dumber. For a fraction of the cost or R&D for safety devices, they could create driving schools/classes and make smarter drivers. Hell with smart cars, I want smart drivers.....

Changing human behavior to reduce accidents through training is easier said than done which is why we have seat belts, shoulder belts, air bags, etc. Where I live we still have lots of single-vehicle car accidents that result in fatalities when people are thrown from the car. People don't like to be told what to do.

...All these car companies coming out with more and more 'safety' devices, which make drivers dumber and dumber. For a fraction of the cost or R&D for safety devices, they could create driving schools/classes and make smarter drivers. Hell with smart cars, I want smart drivers.....

Smart drivers driving smart cars with "safety" devices which make drivers "dumber"? That's a twist...
Anyway, I prefer to die “dumber” in my bed. For some reason, I feel "smarter" with ABS and DCT, even if some think that I was "dumb" to pay $2500 more...
Schools don't really make one smarter... but studying does.

The only way to be smarter to avoid a deer jumping in front of me is to stay home. That is a lousy option. My ABS improves my odds in unexpected emergencies. I won't buy another vehicle without it.

When it comes to ABS, I very firmly believe that 99.9% of all riders will be better off with ABS when faced with a panic situation. It takes A LOT of training and skill to have the wherewithal to modulate your brakes properly to prevent a skid when that car suddenly pulls out in front of you and you're doing 60mph. Most of us would unfortunately lock 'em up and be in serious trouble. I have seen videos of professional bike racers who can actually outperform ABS on identical bikes, but it was NOT a sure bet at all.
I all my years of riding, I have only used the ABS ONE time, and if I didn't have it then, I'd have had an opportunity to very closely study the underside of that giant Ford F350 in front of me who had to hit the binders to avoid a jaywalker. Me and my R1200RT would have been toast without the ABS.

Back