• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wish all bikes had honda style indicators switch

W

wildeone

After I got use to great ergonomic solution for indicators switch on my NCX
I have now problem on other bikes where that switch is above horn button
not below. Why is that not a standard by now? I seldom use horn if at all but indicators all the time
so go figure. It feel really weird to have to awkwardly turn my wrist up
to reach indicators switch on bmw, suzuki and triumph. Any other makes do this the honda's way?

To my knowledge our NC's are the only Honda that way. I always thought is was odd, but learned quickly to stop honking at folks, and use my turn signal.

The switches on the NC700X and many other Honda with the horn button in the mid section of the switch pod are made to the European standard that Honda defined. One switch arrangement for everyone on only certain models.

I do believe that all the North American CB300, CTX700 & CB500 Series bikes use this same switch arrangement. DCT might have had sometime to do with the arrangement changes.

My Goldwing has the "normal" switch position as did the Kawi traded in on the NC, we were riding through a National Forest on my NC when a free range bull was standing on the side of the road.
I canceled the heck out of my turn signal trying to scare him away from us. :eek:

The switches on the NC700X and many other Honda with the horn button in the mid section of the switch pod are made to the European standard that Honda defined. One switch arrangement for everyone on only certain models.

if for European other bikes should follow to and obviously they didn't yet. To me indicators switch on the bottom is the most natural position where my thumb always is.
Otherwise I have to turn wrist to use it.

Yeeeeeuuuuck! The new version of horn and turn signal buttons upside down placement is hideous! :p

I never have to "emergency" use my turn signals, so it matters not a bit if my thumb has to move a tiny fraction more, but when I do use the horn, it's for a pretty darned good reason, and now having to go up and over the turn signal button, instead of a quick straight right stab, completely sucks!

Out of curiousity wildone, how old are you and how many years riding? My muscle memory for normal horn and turn sig buttons has been burned into my brain for nearly 40 years, and I'll go to my grave hating that they changed this.

I still am, one of these days, going to remove the offending NCX left pod, and swap in a normal one from some other bike. I just have to find one I like and that matches close enough for me to not care about slight left/right pod visible mismatches.

I traded a cb300f for my nc700x, having used the new horn position for 6 months it feels very natural to me. I have been a rider for 40yrs. so any old dog can learn a new trick. Just give it a little time.:)

I like the position of the buttons as I find it a very natural location for signals. I didn't find it useful in an emergency situation though. I was in the carpool lane and a non carpool vehicle jumped in front of me. I got off a signal mash instead of a honk...doh....

I like the position of the buttons as I find it a very natural location for signals. I didn't find it useful in an emergency situation though. I was in the carpool lane and a non carpool vehicle jumped in front of me. I got off a signal mash instead of a honk...doh....

IMHO if you have time to honk, you better have time left to brake...
I cannot understand drivers or riders who take time to honk instead of slowing down.
All my usage of horn were post factum just to let the other driver he's a jerk,
and in the motorcycle you better of not getting into any argument on the road.

I traded a cb300f for my nc700x, having used the new horn position for 6 months it feels very natural to me. I have been a rider for 40yrs. so any old dog can learn a new trick. Just give it a little time.:)

exactly. I am rather older then younger dog myself (with some on/off breaks in riding) and NCX indicators positions felt very natural to me right away.

I must agree - indicator switch is placed very ergonomically and I don't have to do wrist mumbo-jumbo to actually use it.
But I more than once hit the indicator switch when trying to honk.

I agree that if you have the time to honk you should slow down to react to someone's idiocy on the road, and I do so.
But I still like to honk to pay the driver's attention to the fact he/she cut me off so that they pay more attention next time. I only honk in calm manner (two short honks), not wanting to provoke any aggression, especially considering our crap law - honk's there for a reason. But after some time with this lay out, I can now find honk button easily. Just requires some time getting used to.

Not sure why other manufacturers keep the old-days layout without giving too much thought into ergonomics and comfort. You would think of so many riders and/or engineers working on motorcycles, someone would spot it's not very comfortable way sooner...

What I don't like about is if you own two bikes - not two NC's - it takes a bit to remember the placement.
What I do like about the NC arrangement is the horn button is easily twice the size of my other bike.
I like honking at texters! They PI$$ me off SO much. Thinking they can do both things adquately - and never can. That's a subject for a whole other thread!

I like honking at texters! They PI$$ me off SO much. Thinking they can do both things adquately - and never can. That's a subject for a whole other thread!

oh come on, you never been texting while on the bike? :p

IMHO if you have time to honk, you better have time left to brake...
I cannot understand drivers or riders who take time to honk instead of slowing down.
All my usage of horn were post factum just to let the other driver he's a jerk,
and in the motorcycle you better of not getting into any argument on the road.

I did have time to slow down but it was close enough to make my stomach to jump up. My purpose of the horn is to get the guy to notice what just happened. Maybe he will pay more attention next time as he sure wasn't this time. I think the closer the horn is to the action the easier it is for them to figure out what they did wrong. The guy just wasn't paying attention would have been the "...I never saw him..." accident. No harm done. Maybe if I used the horn more I could hit it better lol

I did have time to slow down but it was close enough to make my stomach to jump up. My purpose of the horn is to get the guy to notice what just happened.

exactly what I said, you used honk post factum as most of us do so argument this is a safety feature and has to be just under the thumb is flawed.

I too have ridden for many years, and I prefer the horn down low, as it's easier to hit in an emergency situation....and sure I "Might" get used to it, but I have other bikes that I ride, ALL of which have the horn below the turn signal switch, so I am in the "Honda should have left it the way it was" group, as I'll never get used to it when I have to adjust to it every time I've been on something else....

exactly what I said, you used honk post factum as most of us do so argument this is a safety feature and has to be just under the thumb is flawed.

bs

"most of us"? Puhlease. :rolleyes: The only flaw here, is where and how you determine your "facts" before making outrageous claims like it's a forgone conclusion of fact, lol.

Whatever.

I also dislike the NC's horn. I tolerate it but if it came with the horn on bottom, I would be very happy.

I, too, find the signal switch on the NC700X to be very convenient. So much so that, when I switch to my other bike, I end up honking at people at random at intersections. Embarrasses the hell out of myself. LOL

Back