• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield Burn (ever seen this?)

johnkrumm

Reaction score
Visit site
This one is new for me. I bought a National Cycle touring windshield for my NC700X last year. Love it. Really cuts the wind and buffeting. But one morning my wife and I went to a craft show and parked the motorcycle in the sun, facing West, with the sun rising from the rear. When I drove off I looked down and my LCD was almost completely blacked out, and I saw what looked like a melted spot on the bottom frame of the instrument panel. The LCD slowly cleared up as I drove home, and I could eventually see how fast I was going, how much gas I had, etc. The melted spot remains. Near as I can tell the windshield focused the sun into a high temperature dot, reflecting it back like some kind of solar mirror. Next time I park that way I might have to place a glove or something there to prevent any more damage...

2016-04-30_161527934_966AE_iOS.jpg

Yep. Mine did the exact same thing, in the exact same spot. There are (now?) a fair number of reports about this happening, both to our bikes and to others. Wish I'd known/seen them before I bought.

SOAPBOX ALERT

This is the kind of thing that too often comes from aftermarket products. Many times there are great ideas, but the engineering, analysis, and think-it-through aspects don't necessarily happen that well.

END OF SOAPBOX

In the hot summers here I usually throw my riding jacket over the windshield/instrument panel to shade it from the sun. Sun shining through clear plastic or glass can be like an oven.

Pretty common, happens on a lot of bikes with aftermarket windscreens...Mine did the same thing and since then, I've noticed other bikes with evidence of melted instrument clusters.

Thanks guys, I guess I should have Googled first since it seems to be so common. Another thing the Frunk is good for.... carrying something to cover the instruments with. I'm happy the thing still works. Half an inch higher and I'd likely have to buy a new one.

Yes it is called a parabolic lens. Honda pacific coast had one from the factory.
On the bright side, you have an emergency fire starter.:D

Back