• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windows 10 - yay or nay?

(piss off if you take offense, I have only been in this industry for 20 years...)

newb :p

Linux is a nerd's playpen. That has not changed since I installed Slackware'96 back in '96.

It can be but it doesn't have to be. Linux installs these days are faster, easier, and more elegant than Win* installs. My 70yo father, ex-MIL and ex all run linux and none are nerds. They are tired of the endless "buy new stuff" upgrade treadmill.

The average user has no need for it and will not attempt to learn it.

Hell, the average Windows user will not attempt to learn the OS. I am forever teaching idiots at work how to select, cut, paste, right-click.

Linux is for people who want to tell you they run linux (no offense).

It would be easier for linuxy people to dye our hair green if we wanted attention.

I live in a poor rural town (pop <1000) in a poor county in a poor area of Texas. I can shell out $100s for commercial software or I can run free/open software that has excellent performance on my old hardware. This is not a hard choice for me.

A non-tech buddy at work had a home PC windows meltdown of some sort. No biggie, but he was annoyed. I gave him a liveCD (ubuntu, I think) and within a week he was solo booting linux. Flash forward to work one day and he was fighting one of those Windows "reboot now? How about now? Now? Ok, we're rebooting" followed by "please wait while we update for 20 minutes then reboot" scenarios. He turned to me, exasperated, and said: "I CANNOT BELIEVE PEOPLE PAY MONEY FOR THIS $HIT."

Back