• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which camera do you use?

I really like the look and specs of that Contour Roam2. I've got a Monoprice MHD, which is sort of the ugly cousin of the Contour. It's similar and cheaper, but a little less impressive in most respects. I was able to mount the MHD to my helmet with a $5 adapter and some outdoor mounting tape, but it's clunky looking compared to the Contour mount.
MHD.jpg

Here's a sample vid from the MHD showing someone trying to kill me. Keep your eyes on those cagers, people!
[video=youtube;ju0repA3EVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju0repA3EVY[/video]

Another alternative to the Contour is the Replay XD. I actually have footage from when I mounted it under my tail section facing backwards, one mounted on my helmet, and one mounted on my tank. Im really impressed withe quality size, setting customization. All my footage is from the Replay XD 720. The Replay XD is REALLY small...like the size a Harbor Freight mini flashlight.

As for the better camera...I say it differs on your taste as well as your bike I know for my Ninja 250 certain places on my bike the Replay XD is better...and then the GoPro is better mounted somewhere else. FOr the helmet, IMO hands down the Replay XD. For really tight areas, the Replay XD.

Here's all the info you need: http://www.cvmaracing.com/

When I bought my Replay XD 720sm the kit came with a zip pouch, usb cable, micro sd to USB adaptor, car adaptor, plug adaptor, swivel mount, low profile mount, a couple of sticky mounts, microfiber carry bag.

Last edited:
Soon after viewing this thread and writing my GoPro/Contour comparison, I came across a guy on the freeway with a Contour. I dubbed this video "Contour Buddies".

[video=youtube_share;9I4H-ss3kfg]http://youtu.be/9I4H-ss3kfg[/video]

I wish someone would produce a small video Bluetooth camera that could operate though my helmet interphone com system using siri as I do with my iphone. Like when I tell siri to call someone, or to get directions to somewhere. Don't have to touch nothing, just say the commands to the camera. Camera on, camera off, etc. This way before each of my incidents I could scream "camera on" and not scream all my vulgarities.1.jpg

smileycamera.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I wish someone would produce a small video Bluetooth camera that could operate though my helmet interphone com system using siri as I do with my iphone. Like when I tell siri to call someone, or to get directions to somewhere. Don't have to touch nothing, just say the commands to the camera. Camera on, camera off, etc. This way before each of my incidents I could scream "camera on" and not scream all my vulgarities.

I may suggest another alternative. What you need for this is a camera with the features found on a car dash cam. On my NC, I installed a tiny SJ1000 camera on the left Givi engine guard. This camera records in HD, has the loop recording feature (recycle video every x minutes), date and time stamps on the video, and starts / stop recording following the DC power input. It also comes with a waterproof case. Here is what it looks like:

SJ1000.jpg

I've drilled a hole in the waterproof case and connected the power cable to my NC ignition. When I get on the bike, the camera starts recording full HD by itself, nothing to do. When I get off the bike, it stops. I have installed a 32GB memory card in it, so I always have access to my last 5-6 hours of riding if something ever happens (or just for the fun of playing it back).

The SJ1000 can be found Under $100 about everywhere on the net, but be careful as there is several flavors of accessories that comes with it, so take a look at the store's pictures before pressing the "Add to cart". For example, some sellers provided it with a 5 button waterproof case, and some with only 3 external buttons. I got mine here for $79 shipped: sj1000 5MP CMOS 1080P HD 140 Degree 30m Waterproof Sports Cycling Diving DVR w/ HDMI / TF - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Here is a very complete review of the beast from another NC owner:

[video=youtube;QppW_0_DuiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE[/video]

Last edited:
Have a Hero 2, and I like it. Haven't tried the newest generation of either Go Pro or Contour. A buddy had the 1st generation Contour camera and I didn't like the quality of video produced. The software was horrible, but that didn't make much difference to me. I use iMovie, which works well. I agree the shape and bulk of the Go Pro cameras is not ideal for helmet use, but I don't wear mine on my helmet much.

Here's a sample vid from the MHD showing someone trying to kill me. Keep your eyes on those cagers, people!
(Hmmm. I thought I replied to this post already, but it didn't show up - this may be a duplicate.) Deedub, good work watching that cager. That stretch of Clara Barton Parkway is one of my favorites; I love heading into the uphill left and then nailing the right turn between the stone wall and lane bollards.

Apart from all the "aesthetic" and "ergonomic" reviews of all the cameras... only these who have fallen during any sports know why GoPro is the one to go for... after that there is no issue of "ugly casing"! :cool:

This, and the stability of the picture even when on bumpy gravel roads.

(just my $0.02)

Apart from all the "aesthetic" and "ergonomic" reviews of all the cameras... only these who have fallen during any sports know why GoPro is the one to go for... after that there is no issue of "ugly casing"!

I understand what you mean, but sticking a square brick on the top of a motorcycle helmet and riding with a 60 mph head wind might make enough buffeting to make you crash... And then you won't care about the "ugly brick case" because you just trashed your brand new NC. At least you'll have good videos of it !

I'll stick with my Contour :rolleyes:

Yes!

That's why on every box of GoPro there is a warning:

Ride only up to 60 mph when mounted on your helmet, as the buffeting can make you crash!

And that is the reason why there is no GoPro-made videos on YT where someone is doing over 60 mph... only Contour videos. Lucky you! :p

tumblr_mq6dovRsrt1rm00dso1_500.gif

After a few weeks of research, I am heavily considering the Contour+2. I spend most of my riding on highways, so I need something that is more aerodynamic than any of the bricks.

Everyone BEWARE, I think PPWW does not have the sarcasm detection algorithms...

front.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking to mount a small cam on the side of my helmet to shoot some videos. I've read various reviews and wonder what you guys use?

Do you ever find the audio out of these usable during above-traffic speeds (say, 30 MPH+)? Favorite cameras? Editing software?

Right now, I'm using a Sony HDR CX210 HandyCam and Aiptek Sports HD camcorder - both quite compact and with 1/4-20 thread tripod screw receptacles. To use them on the bike I adapted a target scope pan head to a Ram Mount ball to permit training the camera on scenery, other bikes, instruments, etc. while in motion. This is the kit:

DSCN7735.jpg

I tried a Contour helmet cam but the wind noise (above 35 mph) was unbearable. As a matter of fact, wind noise is has been a problem with any video camera I've tried. Now I use an inexpensive Olympus digital voice recorder sometimes attached to the bike, sometimes in my pocket to record sound, and Corel Video Studio software to delete the camcorder audio and fit the digital track onto the video. In the photo above, it has a small external mic with a faux fur wind sock for when it's on the bike.

But enough about me :cool: .What I want to do was point you to a fellow NC700XD rider in England named Matt (screen name "Techmoan") who devotes his spare time to making unbiased, practical "in the field" user reviews of video cameras for cars, motorcycles, etc. and also does side by side comparisons of cameras you would find interesting. This is a link to his Video Dump: The Techmoan Video Dump - YouTube I did buy one of the key fob cameras (808-16) he reviewed a year or two ago and have been very pleased with it.

Pay no attention to the photo of the pan head and Ram Mount below, I uploaded it before deciding to take the photo of the whole set up. Now I don't know how to delete it. Oh well.

Attachments

• DSCN7733.jpg
    DSCN7733.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 247
I will use a noname camera, SJ1000, ordered from China, arrived 2 days ago. Bought a simple microSD card, with no class marking on it, but it works fine!
The camera's video images' size is 120MByte/minute, about 15 Mbit/sec, that is maximum 2MByte/sec. So a noname microSD can handle this datarate. That means I can order any type of it on ebay.
Made some short tests, the result is nearly the same as techmoan mentioned on youtube.
Very bright, clear and sharp image, 30 or 60 frames/sec.
I'll mount it on my bike this weekend to take some footage.

The SJ1000 does look like it gets the basic job done for most folks. Let us see some videos once your up and running.0.jpg

SmileyOneEyeTounge.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back