• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the best aftermarket seat with lower back support?

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all,
I know the "which seat is best" discussion has been done to death... but I have a spin for you.

Which aftermarket seat is best for lower back support? Long rides drive me nuts, and support for my LBP would be nice.

Your help is appreciated.

D

judging from the threads I have read and pictures I have seen on these forums, I think either the sargent or russel day long would be what you are looking for. There is a thread by beemerphile here
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/2721-beemer-back-two-wheels.html
that gives you several pretty good pictures of what the russel day long looks like, and there are several pictures in the gallery section (I think most of them are on page 7). from what I have read and the pictures, I would think the russel provides the more robust lower back support just by the way it looks. The sargent would be a big improvement over the stock, but I think that the russel, while more expensive, looks like it would be the best. Hopefully some people with actual experience about with the seats will be able to offer you some more detailed first hand experience.

I am a huge fan of the Russell Day-long, but I am not sure that any seat without a backrest is going to provide much in the way of lower back support. As I stated in another thread, I address that need (which I also have) with a kidney belt as I prefer them to backrests. I think they provide better support with less drawbacks.

On another bike with one piece seat I installed a Shad. Slight height increase between rider and pillion helped significantly with lower back support. With my Sargent on NC700X did not modify pillion seat so no change. Don't know if Shad helps on NC700X.

Beemerphile as usual is 100% right about the best seat being the Russell Day-Long. Price $675.

Russell: Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

Utopia is considered by most folks the best backrest made. Price $200.

Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

Put on some highway pegs, and world here we come.

If you are short, fat, old, and ugly like me, Russell will make you only a sports seat not a true Russell Day long.

So, for short, fat, old, and ugly NC700 riders there is the Eddie Copland, not a Russell Day Long by any means, but still a good seat. Eddie is now 68, so it is not an easy process just go get the old master to build your seat. Eddie now lives on deals gap, and he can be found riding the dragon most days.8.jpg

Copeland 001.jpg

Good luck!

SmileyOneThumbUp.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Sent email to Utopia asking about a backrest for the nc700, here is the reply.
Haven't made on yet. Waiting on someone to send in rear seat for us to R&D driver backrest. Thanks Bob

Sent email to Utopia asking about a backrest for the nc700, here is the reply.
Haven't made on yet. Waiting on someone to send in rear seat for us to R&D driver backrest. Thanks Bob

I now have SHAD seats, so they could use my "strap burned" OEM pillion seat for R&D if they wanted -- I'd even ship it to them for free.

stripeseat.jpg

Think they would eventually send it back with one of those cool backrests? ;)

Thanks everyone for your help. I am buying the Utopia backrest from a buddy on the forum. I am now looking for a comfy seat.. Looks like Corbin might be the one.

Email them and offer your seat and see what they say!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

OK, I offered to UPS Utopia my rear seat for R&D if they would just send it back to me with the finished product. Here's his reply:

"Unfortunately, there is additional cost to you. Our norm for R&D is to send in seat, rear seat only, if you have a 2 piece seat. Cost would be $225 less 20% for allowing us to develop on your seat. Plus free $40 install and shipping back.Your total cost would be $180, plus whatever it cost you to ship us your seat. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Bob"

Not a bad deal if you want a backrest, but I really don't need one. Somebody ought to jump on it though.

Back