• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What did you do to/with your other motorcycle/scooter/trike today?

Day 30...they predicted snow last night but it never materialized. Today was bright and sunny. Weather app at 2 said it was 49 so I decided to ride the naked CB for today's ride. It was a very nippy 49 lol. Anyhow 43 miles for today's ride.

iozrr4ih.jpg

Well, bike is all back together. We had some fantastic weather last week and I put a little over 100 miles on it.

20240208-CBX-Ride-001.jpg

I've been riding it like it was new trying to give everything time to loosen up a bit after sitting for 36 years. Clutch was frozen up, but worked it loose on the center stand with a bit of rear brake. It is still a bit noisy, but it's coming around.

The bike starts, idles and runs like a champ. I'm very pleased with how the carbs turned out. It has also cleaned up very well. It's got new tires and an air filter, but it's running on the 1988 spark plugs! Lol

20240209-CBX-Ride.jpg

I ordered Mike Nixon's "CBX Charging System" booklet and some shims for the alternator this afternoon. That will be the next task in getting the bike up to snuff. I'm pretty confident I'll have it ready by spring.

Rode the RT 318 miles on Georgia rural roads in gorgeous weather then after dinner took 90 minutes to strip the fairing, drain the oil, change the oil filter, remove the spark plugs and the valve covers. In the morning I'll check and adjust the valves as necessary but they don't normally need adjustment at less than 12 - 18,000 miles. The air/oil cooled engine has screw and locknut adjusters like the NC700/750 does.

This is a 6000 mile service.

IMG_3944.jpeg

Well, bike is all back together. We had some fantastic weather last week and I put a little over 100 miles on it.

I've been riding it like it was new trying to give everything time to loosen up a bit after sitting for 36 years. Clutch was frozen up, but worked it loose on the center stand with a bit of rear brake. It is still a bit noisy, but it's coming around.

The bike starts, idles and runs like a champ. I'm very pleased with how the carbs turned out. It has also cleaned up very well. It's got new tires and an air filter, but it's running on the 1988 spark plugs! Lol

20240209-CBX-Ride.jpg

I ordered Mike Nixon's "CBX Charging System" booklet and some shims for the alternator this afternoon. That will be the next task in getting the bike up to snuff. I'm pretty confident I'll have it ready by spring.
Wow! That is absolutely awesome! It looks great and I bet it's a ton of fun to ride!

20240209-CBX-Ride.jpg

A beautiful reminder that at times Honda builds amazing machines because they can and they want to just because.

Day 38 and it was the CB's turn for a little exercise... rode the 3 B's loop which connects 3 local villages Batavia, Burg (actually williamsburg, but we call it burg), and Bethel. Mostly flat state highways. 43 miles @ 61 degrees and cloudy.

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride today even though it's beautiful weather.
I had to buy a new battery for my '97 Yamaha Seca II. The old one didn't want to turn the engine over very well yesterday evening when I got off work. A quick jumpstart from a coworker and off I went towards home. This battery I purchased in Dec 2017, now 6+ years later, and 76k miles later it's dying. I went back to the same Battery Shop here in Cape Girardeau, MO. and purchased another new one just like it. And believe it or not it was about the same price as back then. I think I got my money's worth out of that one. According to the guy back then, it was made by Yaesu, who made my bike's original battery.

I installed the OEM center stand and swapped the dog bones back to the original (stock). Still unable to lift the bike onto the center stand by myself, but I'll keep working on my 'technique'. Any 'tips' are appreciated!
Hi there. I had the exact same problem, and a Gold Wing riding church buddy gave me a great tip.

I took a scrap piece of 2x6 lumber and cut off 12 inches- making a board that’s 1.5 x 5.5 x 12. I lay that on the ground about 6 inches behind my rear tire, put my left hand of the front brake lever and roll the bike back tire onto the board and stop. At that point the rear tire is much higher and it’s easy to step on the lever and raise it on the center stand. Hope this helps. (Note that I wrote on my board so I don’t accidentally throw it away! Duh.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks @rstatham!
I was able to use a combination of the tips offered above and then some practice to find a technique that works great for me now. I'd thought of using a board as you suggested but didn't want to have to carry anything with me should I need/want to use the center stand during a trip or ride.

I felt bad, and the days are longer, so when I came home from work, I decided to start the TLR and give it at least a tiny bit of exercise. It only gets ridden three or four times a year, and hasn’t been started in months, but three kicks and it was idling away. Gotta love the old XL engines. (The pics are from the last time I rode it in anger.)

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 7
I did bike maintenance today. New Air Filter, new spark plugs (but not installed yet until I finish the valves). On my valve clearance check two of the intake valve clearances were too tight/small. I was able to adjust one to spec. by installing a smaller shim but the other one already had that smaller sized shim installed. I don’t have any smaller shims in stock in my bag of shims. So My bike is down until I get some smaller ones ordered. /Sigh….

I ordered some 25mm 240 shims, I usually order a little more than I need, so I'll have extras in case the next time I check the valve clearances the new shim size is needed. It's kinda odd with this bike (air-cooled inline 4 cylinder) you'd think the exhaust valves would lose their clearance faster, but for me it's the intake valves. But of course the exhaust valves are in the front of the engine and probably get a lot more cooling air.

Back