• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Weather Or Not

Billy Budd

Reaction score
Visit site
Whether or not to ride when it is not ideal conditions is a question all motorcyclist ask themselves at one time or another. I know what does some Yahoo from the Arizona desert know about cold weather? Here in the American southwest we enjoy over 300 days a year of sunny weather and a twelve month riding season. I think that makes us more likely to leave unprepared. I left this morning on an overcast, drizzly, 40 degree morning for a nice ride. We have not seen any rain or clouds here for over three months so we welcome this type of weather. If you wear the right gear motorcycling in any weather can be a pleasure. I wore my Tourmaster Transition II jacket, Freeze Out long johns (top and bottom), a snow ski turtleneck, Icon Patrol waterproof boots, Bilt Gloves, and a HJC Modular Helmet. The jacket and long johns are great, the cheap Bilt gloves are adequate and wearing Levi's are ok in the dry weather but offer no protection for the wetter stuff. This is warm temperatures for many of you, but you can still get cold in a hurry if you are not ready for it. The few tips I can offer are, wear layers that can be added or removed as necessary. Keep your hands, feet, head and neck warm as they will cool your core if you do not. Good boots are a must as well as a jacket. If I rode more in cold weather I would invest in better gloves, these were 20 bucks and they do the job. I should have worn a Balacava as my ears got a little cold. Your ears are a radiator too. Do not forget to hydrate! You may not feel thirsty, but you can lose moisture through breathing very quickly in the cold.

003.jpg
007.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg

Hey Billy Budd, come on up to the Oregon coast right now and you can have that kind of riding weather almost every day!

I've ridden down to about freezing. Everything was comfy but my toes after awhile. Granted I have heated gear, and the cbr keeps the wind off of your hands.

This afternoon I had a ride, 8° Celcius when I went, but returning home I caught a very heavy rain. No problem with my jacket and trousers, my feets where dry and warm, I use leather boots (well greased) and silk socks, my gloves where like sponges but ok...

The problems I have to solve are the neck, I have a turtle neck but is not realy easy to put it under the helmet, and the temperature is not cold enough for a balaclava. Will try it next time. Other problem, even with my double layer pants I feel cold on my knees. I will try to find some additive protection (kind of socks for the knees).

I was raining a lot. But it was only when I took a portion of motorway I noticed the important quantity of water on the road looking a the cars and trucks. I was surprised because I feel secure on the NC, no feeling of slinding or something like this. (I stayed approx at 100 km/h).

People from hot countries, you are very lucky !

B.R.

...Here in the American southwest...

Where were those pics taken? I can almost place the locale, but then I second guess myself and wind up bewildered. Not enough saguaros for anywhere I can think of offhand.

I know what you mean about gear and the weather. See folks, here in southern Arizona, unlike the rest of the world, icicles seem to form around 50 degrees - certainly above 40. Bbrrr.

I’ve ridden this week with morning temps in the mid 20s (-3C). Thankfully I have short ride to work on city streets. TourMaster Flex jacket and pants have kept me toasty. Of course today it was back up to 70 so I was digging in the drawers for short sleeves.

The problems I have to solve are the neck, I have a turtle neck but is not realy easy to put it under the helmet, and the temperature is not cold enough for a balaclava.

I have started using one of these which works well, it is fastened with velcro at the back.

mc09_ws_neckwarmer_b.jpg

I rode 50 miles in freezing fog and my Rukka gear, jacket and mid layer thermals kept we warm. Glad i've got heated grips.

Got home with a thin glaze of ice on my helmet and ice on my knees.

Last edited:
Back