• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Weather coating for the face shield

Quick follow up, lemon Pledge works far better then dish soap on the exterior of my Shoei. On the interior, extremely bad.
But the lemon pledge works so well that i feel it will be my "go to" for a very long time.

I use dish soap on the inside as anti fog and so far so good down to 34 deg F

I just tried Pledge multi-surface on my visor and windscreen. Seems a bit more water repellent than lemon pledge

Edit: nevermind, not as good, contains alcohol.

Last edited:
I have a Shoei RF-1100 and for whatever reasons I can't get water and road spray to bead up and blow off the way I used with other helmets. I have tried the hand soap trick, i got an anti-fog cleaner, i tried nothing at all.

The water just sits there while I ride. A slight turn of the head will cause one side to blow the mist and droplets away, but i am looking for any other suggestions for this. I have never had water drops just stay stationary on a face shield at 60mph.

5.jpgPlain old soapy water helps keep a face shield from fogging up. A lot of folks use shaving cream. Anything with an alcohol product in it will be turned yellow over time! NO Windex or Rain-X, as both contain alcohol. Over time alcohol yellows plastic!

However, now days most folks now use Pin Lock face shields!

[video=youtube;ECC9HtRGVmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECC9HtRGVmM[/video

smiley-think005.gif

SmileyHorny.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Well, turns out the pledge multi surface has alcohol. Some folks on ADVriders had been using it, but not as many as lemon pledge, which has no alcohol.

I guess the alcohol may eventually leach out the plasticizers and leave the plastic brittle, cause crazing, yellowing etc.

Also, I decided the effect of the pledge multi-surface was just from a thorough cleaning action. Doesn't leave much repellent stuff behind.

Lemon pledge for rain and dish soap for anti-fog are working great though.

Now if my new-to-me sidi sport rain boots don't leak, all i need is some waterproof pants, and I'll be all set for those few days per year that we get real rain here in southern california :)

Last edited:
At work we use lasers to measure the size and shape of wood. They need to be frequently cleaned of sawdust and wood pitch build up on lenses. Vendor stress not to use any commercial window cleaning products as they either etch the lens and / or leave a film behind. The only acceptable cleaning agent is alcohol.

Yeah, most window cleaners have ammonia which will instantly cause a nasty haze on many clear plastics. I think some plastics are pretty compatible with alcohol, which is why some people get away with rain-x on their visors without issue.

This is an interesting thread, my new Shoei Neotec's visor is like that too in the rain, at first I was adamant that somehow rain had got inside the visor so stopped to check, nothing.

The rain just seems to sit there, a bit like a car windscreen with no wipers on, well almost.

I've had a Shoei previous to this one, a Raid II and this didn't do it, I fact the Neotec is the first lid I've had to do this.

So lemon pledge is the answer eh? I'll give it a try.:)

A lot of people swear by lemon pledge for the bike too. Plastics and metal stay clean longer and you get get pre-moistened wipes that are easy to throw in the frunk when traveling.

wipes-L.jpg

It also works if you have leather saddle bags,or any plastic on the bike.plus it smells lemon fresh.

At work we use lasers to measure the size and shape of wood. They need to be frequently cleaned of sawdust and wood pitch build up on lenses. Vendor stress not to use any commercial window cleaning products as they either etch the lens and / or leave a film behind. The only acceptable cleaning agent is alcohol.

Sawdust hasn't really been a problem for me but I'll keep that in mind next time I'm "ripping through the woods". :)

FWIW, I depend on the Rain X so much that I have a bottle at home and one at work. If the visor shows any signs of not clearing as I commute one way or the other, I apply more. And living in Seattle, that means I use it more frequently than someone living in Texas who would simply chose not to ride that day. As a commuter, I don't have much choice about avoiding rain. As one rider said in another forum, "If you don't ride in rain, you don't ride in Seattle".

Chris

Not to change the subject but if you ride in rain every day .....What rain gear do you use beyond the rain-X .... Now we haven't had rain hardly at all in Texas but I'm planning to be where it does rain more in Sept.... Thanks

What rain gear do you use
I don't actually use "rain gear"... That is sooooo old school...
Buy yourself an Aerostich Darien Jacket/Pants and ride in any weather. I was actually on an Alaskan tour about ten years ago when I got VERY tired of the whole "rain suit on, rain suit off" comedy. I rode to Duluth, MN and was fitted/bought a suit that simply shrugs off rain. Frog choking rain. Bite the bullet and put in your order. You won't regret it.
Darien - Jackets & Pants :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

If the prices are a bit scary, do what I did (after crashing in my originals)...lurk on Ebay and you can find some stellar deals. After my crash I found a 40R Darien on Ebay (w/fleece liner) for about 1/2 of new cost. Pants I ended up custom ordering because (I guess) most motorcyclists have a shorter inseam than waist...I'm just the opposite ;-)

Frogg Troggs are not a bad short term solution...If you ride a lot in the rain and wear them often they won't hold up...But if you are basically a 'fair weather rider' and looking for something for the occasional downpour the Frogg Troggs would be a good way to go. Pack up easily but you still have to the whole 'rain suit on, rain suit off' comedy on the side of the road....

Last edited:
Back