• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Video Camera for NC700x

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
5.jpgI see that some members are great with video cameras. I've never got very deep into the cameras before. Looking at the go pro and the sony. Go Pro seems to be the camera for the motorcycle, but I don't really have any experience here.

Also, a couple of different models of the go pro and sony.

Can anyone recommend either as the unit to use on an NC700x.

smileycamera.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really provide a comparison, but the GoPro Hero3 (Silver version) I have does what I want. Beautiful video, available in a variety of format sizes and densities, with some adjustment available for sound. There must be some really good internal software that helps eliminate camera shake - the video is always much smoother than my rides really were...

It has wi-fi allowing it to connect with my iPhone's GoPro app (a freebie, I believe). I use that to figure out where the camera is pointed when I switch it between my helmet and my handlebars. That keeps me from winding up with views of only the birds high above or the ants down below. It also allows me to get the camera pointed reasonably ahead.

I added a USB charger wire and fitting from the bike to the camera, and have invested in 64GB SanDisk micro-SD cards. With more or less permanent power on demand and the 64 GB cards, I can record up to 9 hours of video without otherwise fooling with it.

The only other camera I've tried video with is my Canon SD100 IS Digital ELPH camera. As far as I can see, there's absolutely NO internal adjustment for camera shake when recording video on the Canon. I don't recommend it for that reason. It hurts your eyes to look at the output.

I use siri with my interphone f4 helmet communications device to give all commands to my iphone. Will the iphone program allow siri voice commands to turn the go pro on or off.

Go pro series have a "fisheye" lens. This can be disorienting for real video buffs but for "action" videos, this is very good because it captures a wider angle (say 120 degrees instead of the normal view of say 90-100degrees).

What about motorcycles?
I suppose it is not extreme sports.
What is really critical (IMHO) is a good mount with rubberised cushion (reduce the vibrations).
I have done a DIY mount for less than USD3. I used my daughter's normal Digital camera. I think the HD Video quality is good enough.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-videos/245-swiss-roads-first-video-my-ncx.html

There are some commercial ones for USD50-100, eg: RAM mounts.

Why not try out my setup, and if you really catch on the Video hobby (I did not), then upgrade to a more "professional" setup?
:p

Last edited:
The "fisheye" is not that disturbing with proper set-up. I watch all my GoPro videos via PS3 on big screen and it's not the issue at all.

Another big (and I mean really huge) advantage is stability of the picture (which is unbelievably phenomenal) and durability of the camera. The last one I have personally tested when crashing during downhill on local dam. The camera survived without a scratch... completely opposite to me. :cool: The casing was scratched at corners only.

I'm not advertising or anything... just confirming that - for me - GoPro is "panzerwagen" in action cameras.

The "fisheye" is not that disturbing with proper set-up. I watch all my GoPro videos via PS3 on big screen and it's not the issue at all.

Another big (and I mean really huge) advantage is stability of the picture (which is unbelievably phenomenal) and durability of the camera. The last one I have personally tested when crashing during downhill on local dam. The camera survived without a scratch... completely opposite to me. :cool: The casing was scratched at corners only.

I'm not advertising or anything... just confirming that - for me - GoPro is "panzerwagen" in action cameras.

LoL....
if you plan to go downhill with your NCX, then Go Pro is for you.

Go Pro is more for Extreme Sports....jerky, wearable, waterproof, shockproof....
Never butcher a chicken with an Ox's knife, my Confusius teacher tells me.

Downhill was made on my Trek bicycle... don't get so hasty conclusions my little hobbit, humm humm. ;):p

Point is... when anything wrong happens when you're on motorcycle (and I've seen many videos where it did) I was just stating that GoPro with it's accessories' survival level are really worth a dime.

I seriously don't give a flying duck what anyone else will buy, just give some of my feedback for consideration. :cool:

PS: One thing I forgot... quite easy and user-friendly software for editing videos comes with GoPro package. Only downside I think would be file size when doing videos in highest res and longer than 30 mins (processing in editor takes a while), but it shouldn't be a major issue.

GoPro, I guess because of the fish-eye, makes it look like you are going way faster than you are. Great for impressing friends, but my wife always recoils and says "slow that damned thing down before you kill yourself!".

I use the "gopro" video camera on my boat. I used to use the "FLIP", but no more.
The only advantage the "Flip" has is the software editing. Very easy to use.
Gopro has more options on the camera. Don't like the editing software. You can find free editing software on the web.

Ken

I have no problems with great equipment.
But as the first-to-market extreme-sports helmet cam, Go Pro is still way overpriced.
Incidentally today at Mediamarkt, i saw a copycat go pro. Same casing, same HD ,etc....guess how much? 60chf (about US$60).
It comes in 4 colors too.

If one is using the camera for more than NCX, then go-pro is a great choice.
I am not faulting anyone for owning one....please don't read glass is half empty when I was really talking about how half full it is.

I'm sure no one even had that thought. Just be Happy!

I just found out from my wife that I will not be purchasing the Go-Pro. I already own one, but I don't know it yet. It's a father day's gift from my kids! Can't find a better price than that.

Well... if it's done - and if I may - one small piece of advice.

Once you think about getting bigger/faster SD card for recording your videos please do not let any dealer/seller convince you that you need this:
Sandisk-extreme-pro-sdhc-class-10-64-gb-829x1024.jpg

Especially when you will not use GoPro for any extreme speeds/framing this one will be more than enough:
SanDisk-Extreme-Pro-SDHC-UHS-I-card.jpg

Of course I mean the speed, not the capacity... that's up to you how big you'll buy.

But 45MB/s is enough... speaking from experience and owning both of these cards.

Oh... and enjoy your new videos! :)

Well... if it's done - and if I may - one small piece of advice.

Once you think about getting bigger/faster SD card for recording your videos please do not let any dealer/seller convince you that you need this:
Sandisk-extreme-pro-sdhc-class-10-64-gb-829x1024.jpg

Especially when you will not use GoPro for any extreme speeds/framing this one will be more than enough:
SanDisk-Extreme-Pro-SDHC-UHS-I-card.jpg

Of course I mean the speed, not the capacity... that's up to you how big you'll buy.

But 45MB/s is enough... speaking from experience and owning both of these cards.

Oh... and enjoy your new videos! :)

LOL
I think we got the point that we need BIG memory cards.

Happy is right. You can not do large video clips, just not enough memory on any home computer. Must do small clips and then edit them together with transitions.

@ Old Can Ride

1. Once again, so I make myself as clear as possible: you can buy 8GB card if you wish... my point was - whatever anyone will try to convince you to - you don't need 95MB/s writing speed... again: I was talking about speed, not capacity... that's all.

2. Just for the sake of the discussion... I have videoclips well over 30 mins, 1h, 2h and had no problem editing them via Sony Vaio (laptops are usually not as great with dedicated memory as desktops). Obviously, loads of effects to process will take some considerable time. "Calculated risk" :cool:

Some cameras have internal buffers which will allow the user to use a less speedy transfer rate.
Just to be safe, take the middle speed and the MAX capacity which you are comfortable to buy.
I usually buy 2 cards, just in case 1 fails and I still have 50% of my videos.

Do whatever pleases you, there is no right nor wrong.

Back