• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vario Touring Screen

Cyclerosis

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered this screen from twistedthrottle.com.

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Honda NC700X, '12- - MRA.01.069.VT : TwistedThrottle.com

Will post what my 5'9" frame perceives with all the spoiler positions covered. I know in principle it works, because on the Multistrada, all I had to do to deflect air flow, was to place my hand at the top of the screen to quiet the turbulence.

Yes, please report back. I'll be very interested in how this works, especially the turbulence noise level. I'm 5'8" so what works for you should work for me.

Greg

I thought the smoke grey would match the bike well. When riding the Duc at highway speed, if I would put my open hand across the front edge of the top of it's dinky little screen, it quieted the turbulence around my helmet. I'm hoping the Vario screen will work the same way only better. Think of it as a vortex generator. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

Last edited:
I thought the smoke grey would match the bike well. When riding the Duc at highway speed, if I would put my open hand across the front edge of the top of it's dinky little screen, it quieted the turbulence around my helmet. I'm hoping the Vario screen will work the same way only better. Think of it as a vortex generator. Vortex generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am still liking the stock screen and looks very neat albeit the bad turbulence. I was researching and looking at this other type NC 700 X - Touring windshield "T". Less foot print and looks more streamlined. The wind tunnel animation looks good as well.

Although their website indicates the Vario screen IS in stock, I just received an email notification that the expected arrival date is Sept. 25..I'm going to 'assume' they mean 2012.

Will post what my 5'9" frame perceives with all the spoiler positions covered. I know in principle it works, because on the Multistrada, all I had to do to deflect air flow, was to place my hand at the top of the screen to quiet the turbulence.

How did it go? Do you recommend this screen?

I like the screen. I'm 5'7". I don't know how it compares to one of the tall touring screens. The MRA is only slightly higher than the stock screen and also a little wider. I'm not going to say it's miraculous, but it is better than the stock sheild. I like the ability to adjust the spoiler to rider's height and riding conditions. Also, it fits well and looks cool on the bike.

How did it go? Do you recommend this screen?

Hmmnnn, I thought I posted the result. Must have posted it elsewhere..In my opinion, it's only marginally better than the stock screen at it's lowest setting and creates incrementally higher turbulence at every setting above the lowest. At a future date, I'll probably get the taller Honda shield that others here are using. I can't recommend the Vario shield, and even though it looks good, it doesn't perform to my expectations at any setting.

Hmmnnn, I thought I posted the result. Must have posted it elsewhere..In my opinion, it's only marginally better than the stock screen at it's lowest setting and creates incrementally higher turbulence at every setting above the lowest. At a future date, I'll probably get the taller Honda shield that others here are using. I can't recommend the Vario shield, and even though it looks good, it doesn't perform to my expectations at any setting.
That is a drag. That screen looks really cool! I guess I will have to try one of the other ones.

A somewhat embarrassing update on the Vario windscreen. I'll start at the beginning.

The very first thing I did when I brought the NCX home, was to raise the stock windscreen to the higher points, which somewhat curbed helmet buffeting at highway speeds. When I installed the Vario screen, I used the same higher points thinking, higher is better. Yesterday I dropped the install points to the lowest setting, just to ensure I was giving it an honest evaluation and noticed a much smoother flow of air around the helmet. I'll be testing out the various spoiler positions to see what happens on my way into work tonight.

Sorry if my initial, less than positive review misled anyone.

I based solely on your review.... and ditched the vario and went to get madstad... Now I wanted Vario again cause it looks way way way better and cooler. :( Excited to hear your review though!

A somewhat embarrassing update on the Vario windscreen. I'll start at the beginning.

The very first thing I did when I brought the NCX home, was to raise the stock windscreen to the higher points, which somewhat curbed helmet buffeting at highway speeds. When I installed the Vario screen, I used the same higher points thinking, higher is better. Yesterday I dropped the install points to the lowest setting, just to ensure I was giving it an honest evaluation and noticed a much smoother flow of air around the helmet. I'll be testing out the various spoiler positions to see what happens on my way into work tonight.

Sorry if my initial, less than positive review misled anyone.

Last edited:
So question for you Cyclerosis,
Im going to be taking a ride to twisted throttle next week for some new mods and will probably be getting the vario windscreen as one of them. My question is do the stock mounting bolts etc work well with the windscreen or do I need some aftermarket bolts or homemade remedy like the Nut plates one of the members on this forum makes??

Squeak, the screen comes with spacers and new longer screws. The stock threaded inserts work just fine. The inserts are a rubbery composite but have a metal threaded bushing pressed into it.

lamzlamz, if I had only waited, I would have gone for the Madstad, based solely on the reviews of the people here that have them. The Vario does look good, but doubt it performs as well as the Madstad. As a side note, my lady friends' Yamaha VStar 650, has no windscreen, and the airflow is incredibly clean! Cleaner than the NC's with the screen!

Back