• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve Adjustment Video - Step by Step, DIY Guide

Thanks for posting the video. I have the factory manual and have found it much more informative than some of the manuals I use on newer German automobiles.

I happen to own some older VW's that require valve adjustments. I understand how to adjust the valves, but seeing it done will make the upcoming service that much easier.

I do agree that valve adjustments have become a sort of lost art, but if one must learn how to do it, what better and simpler explanation is there than your video.

Mucho Cudos.

Why did you remove the "cam timing cover", it seems like it is not used?

Sure it was. The picture at 4:15 is of what's behind the timing cover, to verify crank position.

That said, most have found that it's a bit of a wasted step. I just rotate the crank to it's mark and try to wiggle the rocker arms. If they're tight and don't budge, you're in the wrong spot and need to rotate 360°. If they have a little play in them you're at TDC and can check clearance.

If the rockers don't move in either spot your clearances are way too tight and you'll need to remove that cover to verify with the crank position. I can't imagine this actually happening unless the bike was really neglected.

trey

Just finished up inspecting and adjusting the valves. The video helped and the manual is a must.

One thing of note is that the feeler gauge gave me false drag until I removed the blades needed from the set and inserted them completely inside the valves. The valves felt way too tight at first, but were probably within spec. I think I checked them all four times total and probably didn't need to adjust anything. Next time I'll remember to remove the blade to move things along faster.

Another note is that the maintenance schedule on the Helm manual for '14 NC700X calls for valve inspection every 16,000 miles. I have 9,000 on my '14 but the Honda manual calls for inspection every 8,000.

Last edited:
Made a timelapse when I did my valves the other weekend.

[video=youtube_share;Xw2Rr0Y40us]http://youtu.be/Xw2Rr0Y40us[/video]

trey

Back