• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tyres worn!

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my rear tyre(stock) has worn to the point of it needs changing.
only done 5250 miles on them but that's riding two up.
metzeler roadtec Z8' good grip inc in the wet.
its been awhile since I've had to change tyres so is 5000 miles good or is that poor?

Last edited:
I get more than twice that, I only ride single and commute pretty gingerly on back roads. Never done a burnout or popped the front wheel up. I went through 2 sets of bt023 and I'm almost done with contipros. I've heard the stock metzlers weren't good for high miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got ~7k out the Z8 and it was showing cords when I took it off. The difference may be that I use tires while ya'll run tyres across the pond.

The type of road surface makes a big difference in the mileage you can get out of a tire. 3 of us in Arkansas hit cords right at the same mileage while in Arizona they were getting 10k+ out of the Z8. Arizona uses higher grade asphalt from what I've read. 2 up riding probably can reduce tire life but if you would quit doing the smoky burnouts they would also last longer.

Only got ~3500 out of the Dunlop Cheesemax that came stock on mine, riding single and not very aggressively at all.
The only thing I added is a really small top case for gloves, flat kit, maybe a bottle of water now and then.

You should see the road surfaces here in SC. They are terrible. I think easy on the throttle helps the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got about 6K (miles) out of my original metzlers. Switched to Contimotions I now have almost 11K on the back "tiyre" with no cords showing -but it's very close. Front Conti is still good.

the problem here is that we rarely get the hot weather like some of you guys.
on average summer temp is between 60 to 75f but mostly just below 70f .
the last 4 days temperature was around 55f and for the next 5 days it will rise to 69f.
so tyre choices is a bit restricted to higher quality .
to risky to use cheaper tyres which have a harder compound.
I can get a continental for £75 but rubber is a little on the hard side and less grip in cold weather.
maybe the quality of the Z8 fitted to my bike is slightly softer rubber than the Z8 you buy in the tyre shop.??
must admit the have excellent grip in all weathers it just wears out a little quick.
maybe it because we ride two up with a combined weight of 377 lbs.

If you don't mind paying a few extra bucks by the PR4s. That is if your worried about the Conti's rubber being too hard. I ran a bit over 12K (Arkansas Roads = Terrible) and was not showing threads. The only reason I changed it is because I was running on a patch job (that I did) for 4K miles. I'm on the second rear PR4 now and just went over 6K and it has a ton of tread left. I'll easily hit 12K again. Probably 14K. My front tire has 18K and still looks good. A small flat spot.

We can turn this into a tire debate thread but if you want a really good tire for all weather conditions and don't mind paying a little extra get the PR4.

the problem here is that we rarely get the hot weather like some of you guys.
on average summer temp is between 60 to 75f but mostly just below 70f .
the last 4 days temperature was around 55f and for the next 5 days it will rise to 69f.
so tyre choices is a bit restricted to higher quality .
to risky to use cheaper tyres which have a harder compound.
I can get a continental for £75 but rubber is a little on the hard side and less grip in cold weather.
maybe the quality of the Z8 fitted to my bike is slightly softer rubber than the Z8 you buy in the tyre shop.??
must admit the have excellent grip in all weathers it just wears out a little quick.
maybe it because we ride two up with a combined weight of 377 lbs.

I think the weather here in south western British Columbia very closely matches the UK, and with a similar weighing bike, and being relatively gentle in my throttle usage, plus mostly highway miles and loaded with gear, the Z6 Interacts on my F800ST showed cord at approx. 20,000 km's, or 12.5K +/- miles.

From most reports I've heard, the Z8's were supposed to be every bit as good, if not better in mileage numbers compared to the 6's. I don't think you can go wrong with the PR4's though, as SGT Chuck says.

Having a total of 3 PR4's now, I totally agree what people are saying about them. If You are looking for a premium tire, You wouldn't go wrong with the PR4's. The only time, I would not recommend them, is if, one wishes to go with a substantially less expensive tire. The extra mileage, good traction, and peace of mind, for me, is worth the extra expense of these tires.

The Metzler Z8's performed well (at least in dry conditions, I live in AZ), but I get substantially more mileage with the PR4's and feel more comfortable when zipping around.

I'm riding the Michelin Pilot Road (4 on the rear, 3 still good on the front) in Eastern Canada. Johnakay, I know what you mean about riding in cooler temperatures. I had the Metzler Z8 stock on mine, and I was disappointed in the lower mileage and how it performed in the wet... in heavy rain. The PRs have proved to be a great tire for cooler temps, higher mileage, and confidence in the wet. I don't think I'll be riding on anything else with the NC!

Big variable is tire pressure, no one is speaking here.

Wrong pressure will hurt the handling and eat you tire.

Think the biggest variable is the rider and riding style.............tires, brakes, clutch (life/wear) and MPG are directly "controlled" by the rider...........

I'm having the same problem with my 2013 nc700x. Just took it to the dealer to see if Honda will cover it under warranty, got the extended plan. Metal wire showing at 4,775 miles. I think that's bs.

........and no. Honda said that it was not going to be covered under warranty. They said it was "normal wear". That's the least amount of miles I have ever gotten on a motorcycle tire. There is nothing "normal" about that.

I've added another 500 miles or so this week.
and the tyres are well and truly f**ked.
tiny splits every where.
taking them off tomorrow and get them replace.
not decided on what as yet.

got or getting a new tyre fitted today pr3's.
couldn't get the 4's till the end of the week and I didn't want to wait.
on the uk forum some guys think there are good not much different between the two.
$209 this inc fitting.(just take the bike down and they do all the work.)
rear tyre $178 /removal and fitting the wheel back on $31.00.
these tyre fitting place only do bikes and a family run business and they ride bikes too.
it'll be the 1st time that I've used them.

Back