• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

trip odometer not resetting

CR500178

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi eveyone, I just joined after owning my nc700x for almost 2 months, I have about 1600 miles on it now and have enjoyed almost every minute I have been on it. I have to admit when I first took it off the dealership lot I was a little underwhelmed but now I love it. It does everything I want it to do, but today my trip odometer will not reset and when I try to reset it, it goes straight to changing the brightness of the backlight on the gauges. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue.

Hi eveyone, I just joined after owning my nc700x for almost 2 months, I have about 1600 miles on it now and have enjoyed almost every minute I have been on it. I have to admit when I first took it off the dealership lot I was a little underwhelmed but now I love it. It does everything I want it to do, but today my trip odometer will not reset and when I try to reset it, it goes straight to changing the brightness of the backlight on the gauges. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue.

Welcome, CR :)

Read here:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/2264-trip-odometer-will-not-reset.html

Press the button on the right side to reset trip meters.

Press the left one to toggle between meters.

At least I think this is the pattern. I haven't had to set the brightness or set the clock in a long time.

Its also covered in your manual.i had to look it up a few times before i remember how but the above post are correct.

If you are trying to reset as soon as you start the bike, that is your problem. Wait about 30 seconds, cycle to the trip meter you want to reset with the left button, then press and hold the right button to reset the trip meter.

The only thing I can add is to remember that Honda played one other trick on us. If you press the left button instead of the right, it holds the function in memory. In other words, if you press and hold the wrong button you have to wait until the function times out before it will reset. It seems like about a half hour, but of course the actual time is much shorter. If you get impatient and press any button before completion of the timeout, it restarts the vicious cycle all over again.

Bob

Nice to meet you guys and thanks for the suggestions, but it does not appear to be operator error, I have tried some of your suggestions and followed the manual but I still have the same problem. It seems I have a mechanical or software issue with my ip cluster. Thanks for your responses. Hope to talk to you guys again about some fun stuff next time

You can always disconnect the battery to see if that resets it.... If you have tried everything suggested and still no luck, although I bet there is a battery backup to keep milage correct.... But it's worth a shot I guess to try

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Had the same problem. Went nuts trying to get it to reset. Finally threw up my hands and gave up. Came home and read the users manual. (Yes, Miss Demeaner, I usually read the manuals that come with stuff, no matter how bad they are.) Press the right to reset. BUT what is not clear is that if you forget and press the left first and don't wait, then you get all the other functions but never a reset of the trip meter. Of course everything worked fine when I got home and just pressed the right button to reset as instructed in the manual. Until now - thanks, L.B.S. for your elephantine memory and the pointer to the other thread - never knew what happened when I tried to do that reset and it did not work.

Sorry, CR500178, that what was suggested on the other thread is not working for you. Would have to go with netizen on the battery. Most (if not all) states want correct mileage on the bill-of-sale when you sell a motor vehicle so would expect that there is something inside that will hold the total mileage while blanking out everything else. Sometimes a complete power down (the Windows universal reset) works wonders. Fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
Hello again,
Just wanted to update on the issue with the trip odometer, I wasn't able to ride my bike the last couple of days and when I got on it today everything worked normally. It must have been a logic lock problem and after it sat for a while it reset itself. Again thanks for the suggestions.

My trip meter wouldn't reset either... found that it would only work when the kickstand was up.

If you hit the left button first then hold the right button everything is shiny.

but if you HOLD the left button first, and notice that the display is blinking and you messed up. DON'T hit the right button or hold it. You will mess up your settings. Only option is to turn the bike off then back on. and Press and hold the RIGHT button!

I've done this many many times. Still can't seem to remember the trip reset is the right button.

My trip meter wouldn't reset either... found that it would only work when the kickstand was up.

I haven't noticed (or confirmed) that, but it would make more sense if it would only reset with the sidestand down (Harleys and bicycles have kickstands). That way the lawyers could assure that you did not attempt to clear it while underway. If it works as you say, then the logic escapes me.

Back