• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traffic controlled lights

I drop the side stand and place the foot ON the tar strip / coil loop. Not hovering over, on the ground. You have to be in neutral. I believe MSF teaches keeping the bike in gear at a stop.

This isn't helpful when the bike has a non ferris kickstand, like my KTM EXCR.

I have a stubborn traffic light on the road I usually use going South. Sometimes I can get it to recognize me, other days nothing seems to work. My rule is if I have to sit through two signal cycles without getting a green, I go or turn when the roadway is clear. It works for me.

AZ lets motorcyclists go through cautiously if not recognized by the sensor, after a certain amount of time. ID did, too. The two rules are similar, though not identical. Seems like some states are more sensible than others.

Here's the law in NC (subpar (e) excerpted from the whole statute):

§ 20-158. Vehicle control signs and signals.
(e) Defense. - It shall be a defense to a violation of sub-subdivision (b)(2)a. of this section if the operator of a motorcycle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)d., shows all of the following:
(1) The operator brought the motorcycle to a complete stop at the intersection or stop bar where a steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator.
(2) The intersection is controlled by a vehicle actuated traffic signal using an inductive loop to activate the traffic signal.
(3) No other vehicle that was entitled to have the right-of-way under applicable law was sitting at, traveling through, or approaching the intersection.
(4) No pedestrians were attempting to cross at or near the intersection.
(5) The motorcycle operator who received the citation waited a minimum of three minutes at the intersection or stop bar where the steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator before entering the intersection.

I seem to hit these all the time without trigger the light ... I've tried stopping on different parts of the ashphalt loop, wiggling across them as I come to a stop, moving back and forth ... nothing.

In Kansas we have the dead read law. There is no specific length of time one has to wait. Kudos to the state legislature for realizing that we are adults here. The excerpt below is from the state highway patrol website:

The "Dead Red" law allows the driver of a motorcycle or the rider of a bicycle to proceed through a steady red signal, subject to other traffic rules governing right of way, if the red light has failed to change to green within a reasonable period of time because the signal has malfunctioned or has failed to detect the vehicle. The driver or rider must yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching so as to constitute an immediate hazard, to any pedestrian lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk, and to any other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

more here:
New Road Laws

The best thing I found for this particular problem is to attach strong magnets to the bottom frame rail. They cause just enough disturbance to trip the sensor and change the light to green. I ridden a lot of small bikes and scooters that just didn't have enough iron in them to trigger the sensor, so this is my solution. I hope this helps!

Also put them in a plastic tube of some sort so you don't scratch your frame. Zip ties work well to secure them to the frame. Check eBay for cheap, strong, and small magnets.

Here in SoCal, the wire loops are quickly disappearing and being replaced by video camera sensors that detect any vehicle.
So far, they all seen to work very well. Way better than the wire loops ever did.

Here in SoCal, the wire loops are quickly disappearing and being replaced by video camera sensors that detect any vehicle.
So far, they all seen to work very well. Way better than the wire loops ever did.

Cameras are a much cheaper install and have ability to do much more. One camera can see all the lanes further reducing cost. They don't just know presence of a vehicle but with right software can determine quantity of vehicles in each direction and adjust light timing accordingly.

In Kansas we have the dead read law. There is no specific length of time one has to wait. Kudos to the state legislature for realizing that we are adults here. The excerpt below is from the state highway patrol website:

The "Dead Red" law allows the driver of a motorcycle or the rider of a bicycle to proceed through a steady red signal, subject to other traffic rules governing right of way, if the red light has failed to change to green within a reasonable period of time because the signal has malfunctioned or has failed to detect the vehicle. The driver or rider must yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching so as to constitute an immediate hazard, to any pedestrian lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk, and to any other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

more here:
New Road Laws

Arkansas and Oklahoma are very similar to this.

Here is Missouri's Red light law.

Section: 304.0285 Red light violations by motorcycles or bicycles, affirmative defense, when. RSMO 304.285

Red light violations by motorcycles or bicycles, affirmative defense, when.

304.285. Any person operating a motorcycle or bicycle who violates the provisions of section304.281 or section 304.301 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light shall have an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) The motorcycle or bicycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) The traffic control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) The traffic control is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) No motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard. The affirmative defense of this section applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

Tn. has a law that allows you to proceed if the traffic signal has completed one cycle.

Well that sounds like a trick, since in some cases the signal is not going to cycle at all if it doesn't detect your motorcycle sitting there. :confused: An example would be a side road meeting a highway. The engineers may have designed the signal to change only with the presence of traffic on the side road, otherwise maintain green for the highway.

Last edited:
Well that sounds like a trick, since in some cases the signal is not going to cycle at all if it doesn't detect your motorcycle sitting there. :confused: An example would be a side road meeting a highway. The engineers may have designed the signal to change only with the presence of traffic on the side road, otherwise maintain green for the highway.
It can apply for separate left turn light or some intersections will cycle opposite direction and not yours if not detected. That said, most of the time there will be no cycle as you mentioned.

Yea.
My trick answer is that I waited long enough.

Last week I was rding my KLX250 home and was making a left off the highway. I sat there for two light cycles and decided to make my left, ive had trouble with this light before. Little did I know there was a cop coming up behind me as I made my left on the red. He was delayed at the light but finally caught up with me. I saw him coming so I started to pull over on the gravel shoulder. Instead of pulling behind me he sweaved his car in front of me blocking my path, jumps out of his car and yells at me "you ran the red light!". At this point I'm pretty ticked and yelled back "I know I ran the red light!". He was up for an aguement and yelled again "don't tell me you didnt run the light, I saw you". I again repeated that I had ran the red and if I hadn't I would be sitting there all night. He countered that the light was working perfectly well. I said would you like to go back and I'll show you and to my surprise he agreed. I sat at the light for two cycles and he told me to proceed left when it was safe to do so.

Last edited:
When I purchased my property in 1971 there was a county dirt road and just a few houses. Then they oiled the road, then they paved the road, then they put in a new four lane concrete road, then they put in The Challenger Memorial 7 park, then they put in the school district 4 H barn, then they put in the school district administration building, then they doubled the size of the 4 H barn, then they put in three new housing developments, then they put in a gas station/convience store, and now they are putting in a new football stadium. We use to have one high school with one 6A football team. Now, 5 high schools with 5 of the 6A football teams. All this I guess I can live with until now, they have put in a red light. A line of school buses and cars at all times at this red light. All this on my little dirt road! So, I now drive pass the red light make a U Turn, and come back to the red light where I can make a legal right hand turn on red. However, late in the evening I just run that red light........... At my age do not have time for red lights.

Last edited:
Back