• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Towing Expereince using AMA for DCT Issue

Gbjbany

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought i would share my towing experience as others may learn from it
Sorry for the long post !

This weekend, out on a group ride on Mosquito Road and Rock creek road near Placerville CA. Great and challenging road lots of twisties, 180 degree turns etc

Anyhow - Using manual on my DCT as the twisty downhills can get you, even in sport , im having fun !

About 1 mile from the end of the road as we are approaching the junction with SR193 to go to Georgetown , running mainly in 2nd , i looked down as we stopped at 193 and had the flashing gear indicator !! oh No !
So i stop and turn off the engine, turn it back on - no joy - cant select any gear . Im stuck

Couple of the group stop with me and we call AMA (I’m a member) for Roadside assistance - Phone has about 43% battery left - im thinking im ok . but only 1 bar (ughh_)

I get the AMA after 2 attempts and log a call – they tell me they will call back with an estimated Time of arrival
They call back 20 mins later (now at 33% battery) and they tell me the only person they get will be 2 hours ! (im not that far out in the woods – but I think oh well – I can live with that)
I send my buddies on the way saying im fine, they leave me food and water and away they go.

2 hours 30 mins later – no Towing truck – Phone now dead ! (im In such a poor reception area the phone looking for a signal has drained the battery)
I should say in this time 2 or 3 people stop and check im ok - I say yes im fine – waiting for a tow truck –

Lesson 1 – never go out without a charging cable !
Lesson 2 – There are some decent people out there !

Next person who stops – I ask if I can borrow their phone to call the AMA again – and see where they are.
Of course he says (thanks Markus) and I call – 3 or 4 attempts later standing on the other side of hway 193 to get any signal - they tell me

– Oh no they decided they wouldn’t come !!!!

WHAT !!!

Lesson 3 – if the callout time seems unreasonable – don’t trust they will actually turn up

Ok well how long for another – Lose signal – 3 calls later – they tell me another hour –

But, BUT !!!! , they said we don’t recommend these guys as for the 4 miles over my 35 mile coverage its $300 !
I say I agree and they try to find another – Markus’s phone dies – I killed that too – he doesn’t have a cable either

Markus offers to drive me to a town ( is there such a thing as public phones anymore !) – I decline as my bike will be on its own for some time if I do that – and it could get lifted

I send Markus on his way and hope someone else will stop with a working phone

Thank goodness – Along comes the CHP !! Officer Walker to the rescue

Officer Walker allows me to use her phone and I try to call AMA – On hold, dropped line etc
She calls dispatch and asks if they know which towing company – I have assumed AMA has found one - is coming to get me
She finds out its 5 star towing – they report that the they are there with me – She kindly say – sorry they are not !
So the dispatched rechecks and they say oh they are coming 45 mins to arrive !
Officer walker says this towing company is used on the CHP rotation - so they will get here
She offers to call another company to see if they can do it sooner - but im worried it will be expensive and not covered by the AMA – so I decline

Lesson 4 - AMA will accept reimbursement requests – but don’t guarantee to pay them – its case by case

Anyway CHP officer Walker says she will go off and do more goodly work elsewhere but will come back later to see I’m on my way home.

1 hour later – she turns up , im still there – but another towing truck turns up ! – Ok getting somewhere now
Its now getting dark,

Officer Walker tells me – she heard 20 mins after leaving me before – that the 5 star guys got called by law enforcement and dropped me to go to that (more lucrative I expect)

Anyway new towing guy was called by CHP – So its an official call ! That means commercial rates – hourly not by the mile
Extreme towing is the company and the guy who turned up was super helpful – calls I his boss and says can we do this via the AMA instead (btw AMA uses Roadside America as the Roadside assistance) – his boss says if CHP will put us back at the top of the rotation sure - CHP wont – just the way it works

So I’m looking at a $480 charges – did I say it was now dark and im on a road in the middle of nowhere – I say ok – I hope AMA will reimburse me

10 mins later – He gets a message – AMA (well Roadside America) has covered the costs - YAY result and that is my story

Great thanks to the CHP, Markus and other people who stopped to check – Boo to 5 star

I hope someone else will be able to make less mistakes than me !

Postscript: - I have not taken the bike to the dealer yet as it was closed by the time the truck turned up and they are closed sunday monday

Last edited:
Sorry for the misfortune.

I use BMWMOA BMW Motorcycle Owner's of America for towing. Their roadside assistance plan is really good as their bikes reputation for reliability is very low compared to other brands. 100 miles free towing anywhere I want to go for $39 annually. I used them once in a very remote location in the Okefenokee Swamp and had to wait several hours for assistance. The truck driver said the bill would have been about $550 for the 79 mile trip to my house if I did not have coverage. It also covers tire replacement/road hazard, fluid services, battery services.

Sorry for the chaotic towing event. I guess every tow situation has it's challenges.

I have used the AMA service twice. Once I had a 12,500 pound motorhome with a dead fuel pump (and along with it the trailer with Goldwing inside that was also with me) towed in from the Interstate to a nearby RV dealer. A second time I had a van with a stuck ignition lock towed to my house so I could drill out the lock and replace it. The tow truck driver backed the van right into my garage. Both times the wait was reasonable and there was no charge whatsoever for either event.

I should add it wasn't ama that let me down, in fact they came through , it was the towing companies, who were totally unreliable.

I don't agree. The AMA let you down because they didn't dispatch reliable companies. CHP is who took care of you. This is concerning, because roadside assistance is one of the big reasons I'm an AMA member. Thank you for sharing this unfortunate event.

Sorry for the misfortune.

I use BMWMOA BMW Motorcycle Owner's of America for towing. Their roadside assistance plan is really good as their bikes reputation for reliability is very low compared to other brands. 100 miles free towing anywhere I want to go for $39 annually. I used them once in a very remote location in the Okefenokee Swamp and had to wait several hours for assistance. The truck driver said the bill would have been about $550 for the 79 mile trip to my house if I did not have coverage. It also covers tire replacement/road hazard, fluid services, battery services.

Does the BMWMOA plan also cover your car, truck, motorhome, boat trailer, etc? That is one of the reasons I like the AMA plan. However, the AMA 35 mile included tow distance is rather skimpy depending where you're at. I guess if you wanted redundancy you could buy two plans, although it shouldn't need to be that way.

Glad you got it worked out. Let us know the outcome of the problem. Did you rock it back and forth trying to get it back to neutral?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was in neutral, but when I pressed drive, I just got the flashing bar and a clink , but no gear engaged

I tried again yesterday, after it had sat, I reset the dct, as described elsewhere, no joy, checked the oil as the manual suggested that might also be the issue, but oil was fine, only has 6k on the oil, 6.5k on the bike. IT'S under warranty as I only bought it in Feb .

It was in neutral, but when I pressed drive, I just got the flashing bar and a clink , but no gear engaged

I tried again yesterday, after it had sat, I reset the dct, as described elsewhere, no joy, checked the oil as the manual suggested that might also be the issue, but oil was fine, only has 6k on the oil, 6.5k on the bike. IT'S under warranty as I only bought it in Feb .

Interesting, let us know when you find out the cause. thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had good luck in the past with the Gold membership of AAA. It even includes bicycles along with cars and bikes.

Would definitely like to hear what's wrong with your DCT. I have the same model year as you and do a lot of manual (pushbutton) shifting when I ride twisties as well. Haven't had any problems in 5,000 miles. I also have an extended warranty as well.

Im stuck

Phone has about 43% battery left - im thinking im ok . but only 1 bar (ughh_)

They call back 20 mins later (now at 33% battery)

2 hours 30 mins later – no Towing truck – Phone now dead ! (im In such a poor reception area the phone looking for a signal has drained the battery)

Markus’s phone dies – I killed that too – he doesn’t have a cable either

Lesson 1 – never go out without a charging cable !
I always carry a supplemental battery (Antigravity XP-10 Microstart) too, so I have lots of emergency backup power that is easy to carry away from the bike!

Ray

Got bike back today
Error code 57-1 gearshift mechanism failure
The fouND shift star bolt was backing out, so retightened and threadlocked
That didn't completely fix it, it would go into first then stall when brakes used
So the cleaned linear solenoids and that fixed it

Was covered by warranty, they had never seen this before and said they didn't think it was my riding, either way a little tentative about riding too far, will give it a week of commuting before I go any distance

Oh it took 11 hours of labor to diagnose and fix

Last edited:

I have heard of a similar problem once some time ago - I *think* they replaced the shift control motor in that particular case which suggests an electromechanical problem on that part but I am not sure. I also think the guy had intermittent flashing dash problems for some time before the replacement.

In your case, the "linear solenoids" are the clutch oil pressure feed valves so if cleaning them cures the problem this suggests possible oil debris contamination causing them to start to get stuck. However, it could well may be the motor part starting to fail and not them - give it some good test time before making sure all good.

17318258862_bc45a1ec83.jpg

Got bike back today
Error code 57-1 gearshift mechanism failure
The fouND shift star bolt was backing out, so retightened and threadlocked
That didn't completely fix it, it would go into first then stall when brakes used

Was covered by warranty, they had never seen this before and said they didn't think it was my riding, either way a little tentative about riding too far, will give it a week of commuting before I go any distance

Oh it took 11 hours of labor to diagnose and fix

WHat stAR bolt???

solonoids are inside motor right?

11hrs!!! There had to be some committee work there eh.

Back