• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

TomTom/GPS - How to wire?

konradphoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I just ordered TomTom Rider 420 (thanks to Amazon's Cyber Week :) ). I have 2013 Honda NC700X and I would really like to install and wire the GPS myself. However, I have close to 0 electrical knowledge. I searched this forum and online but I couldn't find a definite & safe way (to avoid draining the battery and to have the power go to the GPS only when the key is turned) of wiring GPS. I've run across something called subharness (I'm not a native speaker, I quite don't know what it is but I have a general idea after googling it). If anyone has a walk-through or could share it how to do it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

Under the Left Air Duct (cowling/body panel) near the connector to the left, front turn signal there is a two wire connector that isn't connected to anything. From the factory, there is no power to the connector. By adding a relay and fuse in the fuse box (there are already places in the fuse box for them), this connector will provide a fused (7.5A), switched 12V power source. This Honda instruction pdf refers to a Relay Set: www.hondajazz.org/Honda-Aksesuar-Baglanti.../Honda-12V-Soket-Montaji.pdf

The Honda part number for the relay is:
RELAY ASSY., POWER (MICRO ISO 4P) 38501-MEL-003

Fuse is:
FUSE, BLADE (7.5A) 38221-SNA-A31

The connector has a blank plug connected to it. There is probably a connector with a harness that can replace the plug. I don't know what the part number is. When I wired in my GPS, I just cut the connector off and soldered wires to the harness wires. It would be a good idea to use a meter to check the polarity of the harness to determine which is +12 and which is ground.

Just for a different take — the innovv powerhub gives you switched and fused power, is simple to install, and makes installing electronics of all kinds simple - for $60. Not the cheapest solution, but easy install and works great.

PowerHub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used Honda’s accessory subharness for my farkels (http://www.hondajazz.org/Honda-Aksesuar-Baglanti-Talimatlari/Honda-12V-Soket-Montaji.pdf). I added a Zumo GPS and a cigarette lighter in the frunck using plugs I soldered on. It’s an expensive solution, but probably is the simplest way to go. The harness gives you switched power with a 7.5 amp fused relay (in the Honda’s fuse box). Note Honda’s frunck cigarette lighter is only 1 amp (OK for a GPS or phone, but not enough for a tablet). I went with an aftermarket 5 amp one.

Here's the thread for where/what type of plugs you need to put on your TomTom:
Corresponding connectors

Back