• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

to frunk or not to frunk

pester

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the great things about this bike is the frunk as the neat glove box has become known as. But alas there is irony. The gas tank must go somewhere....like under the pillion seat where the poor traveler must suffer through many cycles of unload and reload with the umpteen dozens of fuel-ups that 14 days and 4800 miles requires. This was the single greatest headache ... and irritation of my recent Southwest tour. 33 cycles. Almost drive a man to drink.

Couple of things...My GL1800 also has the fuel tank in the same postition as the NC (under the seat) and it isn't a problem at all. The problem with the NC so to speak is two-fold:

1. Poor range due to the itty-bitty fuel tank size
2. Poor placement of the fuel filler (under the pillion seat)

The frunk is not responsible for any of this ;-)

If Honda moved the fuel filler to the side (like on some BMWs) or shoehorned another 1.5 gallon between slightly enlarging the tank and slightly shrinking the frunk all problems (most anyway, still need a belt drive and 20 more hp) would be solved ;-)

4,800 miles eh? Sounds like a nice trip!

I've been thinking about where I want to add an auxiliary tank here lately. I have almost decided under my top case would ge best place.
My reasoning is that if I have it under the top case, I would let gravity do the work while keeping my storage capacity for water, gloves, ammo and snacks.

Couple of things...My GL1800 also has the fuel tank in the same postition as the NC (under the seat) and it isn't a problem at all. The problem with the NC so to speak is two-fold:

1. Poor range due to the itty-bitty fuel tank size
2. Poor placement of the fuel filler (under the pillion seat)

The frunk is not responsible for any of this ;-)

If Honda moved the fuel filler to the side (like on some BMWs) or shoehorned another 1.5 gallon between slightly enlarging the tank and slightly shrinking the frunk all problems (most anyway, still need a belt drive and 20 more hp) would be solved ;-)

4,800 miles eh? Sounds like a nice trip!

Hi Rob. Wasn't complaining about the "frunk." Just meant the tank location makes for a real challenge when carrying camping gear on the pillion seat. Strapped my Wolfman dry bag on the seat. Took it off and put it on 33 times not counting the 9 times we set up camp. Again...not complaining. But I AM working on a way of making fueling possible without recreating the wheel every time I fuel or trading the bike.

x3 for Dale's holey rack. It totally solves the fueling problem plus it's a great mount base for your camping gear.

Last edited:
Just meant the tank location makes for a real challenge when carrying camping gear on the pillion seat.
It isn't the tank location, it is the tank filler ;-)
As pointed out, Dale's most excellent rack w/fueling hole is what you need. It was one of the first (and best) mods I did.
IMG_2534-L.jpg

I made this seat replacement out of a piece of plywood for occasional use like on trips where I want to load across the seat and not to use side cases and for mounting the auxiliary fuel tank for Iron Butt rides. I have the seat in place 99% of the time but when I travel some distance with something across the seat it comes in handy.

Last edited:
Rokstraps. I have a fastbag which is a sort of lockable rollbag. This goes lengthwise on the pillion seat and rack. It's held in place with Rokstraps. Total extra time to remove the fastbag, fuel up and replace it is 90 seconds. Now admittedly 33 times 90 seconds is 50 minutes so best part of an hour would be lost, but I don't think 90 seconds per fill up is a killer. And of course I'm only removing one bag - if you have to take the kitchen sink on the long trips, it will take longer.
Don't forget that any normal bike that uses a tank bag will have a similar problem, but people seem to tolerate it
Mike

Long trips like that I'll just take the rear seat off. It's only a couple of bolts holding it on, then you can strap your stuff down and leave the fuel cap exposed so you don't have to mess with it.

Cost, $0 :cool:

trey

Yeah, the filler needs to stay under the seat, where it is. Dale's rack fixes the 'issue,' as does dduelin's mod.

Long trips like that I'll just take the rear seat off. It's only a couple of bolts holding it on, then you can strap your stuff down and leave the fuel cap exposed so you don't have to mess with it.

Cost, $0 :cool:

trey

This is what I do. I really like Dale's rack, and have often thought about buying one, but for now I've just been taking the seat off when I go on a trip. I notice that this reduces the height of the gear placed on the (missing) seat, which is a good thing. It lowers the COG and removes any interference when opening the trunk lid.

Back