• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire wear

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had a new set of Michelin Road 5's installed on the NC today, but thought I'd post how previous tires have stood up for ME on this bike..2021 NC 750X DCT

73 year old male year 'round rider, 190 pounds, 100% riding solo, 100% standard riding mode, mostly 45-60 mph, country curvy roads in good condition

my last set of tires, Pirelli Angel GT's lasted 8,326 miles

the Shinko Raven 09's before that went 6,478 miles

the Pirelli Angel GT's before that went 7,696 miles

the Michelin R5's before that went 8,579 miles

and the original Metzler Tourance's went 7,130 miles

BTW still on the original rear brake pads @ 38,199 miles and the tech said I probably had another 10K miles of material there (which astounded me)
The front pads were replaced at 23,405 and they still have plenty of pad left too.

What a great thing that you've keep such good track! This is great because you can so easily choose tires based on whatever you like, and don't have to guess. If you want lowest cost/mile, you have the data for that. If you want a certain 'feel,' you have data for that. If you want highest grip in xxx weather, you have data for that. And best of all, the data is all specific to you!

Terrific! Thanks for sharing!

What a great thing that you've keep such good track! This is great because you can so easily choose tires based on whatever you like, and don't have to guess. If you want lowest cost/mile, you have the data for that. If you want a certain 'feel,' you have data for that. If you want highest grip in xxx weather, you have data for that. And best of all, the data is all specific to you!

Terrific! Thanks for sharing!
Agree. I keep a log of everything I do on my bike(s) so likewise have data to review as the Ferret has

Agree. I keep a log of everything I do on my bike(s) so likewise have data to review as the Ferret has

Same here, I log everything. The original Metzlers lasted about the same as Ferret's did. After the Metzlers I switched to Michelins Road 5 tires. I'm getting the same amount of wear on my Michelin Road 5 tires as Ferret.

I also keep track of everything I do or have done to my vehicles. The NC has 10,414 miles on a Road 5 rear with 3/32" tread depth left on the center of the tire and the front is at 7,418 miles with 3/32" left.

I also keep track of everything I do or have done to my vehicles. The NC has 10,414 miles on a Road 5 rear with 3/32" tread depth left on the center of the tire and the front is at 7,418 miles with 3/32" left.
Dave what tire pressures are you running?

Wow, your Ravens last you half as long as they last me!!!
and I don't understand that, since I am not an aggressive rider, never even run it in manual or sport mode, always standard mode with easy take offs and braking and check my tire pressures frequently, although I have read reports from other posters saying they also could not achieve the mileages that some other posters got out of their Shinko's. Some guys get 12K out of them, some get 6K. I wonder if it's a batch material thing, where some Ravens are just made with better materials or quality control or whatever than other Ravens.

I may try another set some day in the future. I had high hopes for them, but the longevity never materialized for me. I was happy with their smoothness and handling, they just didn't last as long as any of the other tires I have tried. For the price I'd have been very happy had they gone 7,500 miles, but unfortunately, they didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
35-36F and 38-40R

I try not to let the front get to 34 or the rear below 38. It’s all the extra power in the 750 motor eating up your tires LOL
lol...yea all that power makes my shoulder joints hurt trying to hold on to the bars when I accelerate :rolleyes:

I normally run 36-38 front and 38-40 rear so we are in the same ballpark

At 5,740 miles my 2022 NC 750X DCT has 2/32 of tread left, on both front and rear tires, which appears to be a rather quick wear, compared to what others are getting. My NC came with the Metzlers, and the dealer claims to be able to get the OEMs through the Honda Parts Network, and the cost is not too awfully high to buy and for them to mount, so I am going that route. I did contact Revzilla and they are out of stock for the NC OEM Metzlers.

"2/32 of tread left" seems very precise, and at the same time, meaningless:confused:. 2/32 mm? inches? furlongs? who knows.

Interested that you consider OEM tyres "rather quick wear" and yet you plan to replace with same. Consider that bike manufacturers rarely fit premium tyres as OEM, they'll source the cheapest deal they can

Last edited:
Just had a new set of Michelin Road 5's installed on the NC today, but thought I'd post how previous tires have stood up for ME on this bike..2021 NC 750X DCT

73 year old male year 'round rider, 190 pounds, 100% riding solo, 100% standard riding mode, mostly 45-60 mph, country curvy roads in good condition

my last set of tires, Pirelli Angel GT's lasted 8,326 miles

the Shinko Raven 09's before that went 6,478 miles

the Pirelli Angel GT's before that went 7,696 miles

the Michelin R5's before that went 8,579 miles

and the original Metzler Tourance's went 7,130 miles

BTW still on the original rear brake pads @ 38,199 miles and the tech said I probably had another 10K miles of material there (which astounded me)
The front pads were replaced at 23,405 and they still have plenty of pad left too.
Thanks for the tire history which very interesting. I replaced both front and rear OEM Dunlop's on my 2022 DCT after a mere 4,000 miles as both were worn to the limit, which was very disappointing as I'm not a boy racer (68 years old) and my riding conditions are very similar to yours except that I'm (regrettably) 210lbs, though my excuse is I'm 6'1" (a very poor excuse). The dealer put the poor 4000 miles on the front down to me riding the crown of the country roads around me which is the majority of my riding. I tend to use the USER mode with power and engine breaking set to max and medium traction control. I put the poor mileage down to the tires being OEM fitment with less tread depth compared to secondary purchased tires, which is apparently a common practice with manufacturers in order to keep costs down. Having read reviews on tires on this forum I went with the Raven 09's as they were said to have the longest life, but I see from your experience they actually had the shortest. Another 3500 miles now on my Ravens and though the rear is of course rather squared off there is still plenty of tread left. I'm hoping I'll do better than your 6478 miles, but maybe not, which would again be disappointing. However, comparing the price of Michelin R5's to the Raven 09's, I guess the price per mile still favors the Ravens. I guess having tried 4 different brands of tire, your choice of going back to Michelin speaks for itself, but appreciate your overall thoughts on the Ravens compared to the other three brands. Thanks

Thanks for the tire history which very interesting. I replaced both front and rear OEM Dunlop's on my 2022 DCT after a mere 4,000 miles as both were worn to the limit, which was very disappointing as I'm not a boy racer (68 years old) and my riding conditions are very similar to yours except that I'm (regrettably) 210lbs, though my excuse is I'm 6'1" (a very poor excuse). The dealer put the poor 4000 miles on the front down to me riding the crown of the country roads around me which is the majority of my riding. I tend to use the USER mode with power and engine breaking set to max and medium traction control. I put the poor mileage down to the tires being OEM fitment with less tread depth compared to secondary purchased tires, which is apparently a common practice with manufacturers in order to keep costs down. Having read reviews on tires on this forum I went with the Raven 09's as they were said to have the longest life, but I see from your experience they actually had the shortest. Another 3500 miles now on my Ravens and though the rear is of course rather squared off there is still plenty of tread left. I'm hoping I'll do better than your 6478 miles, but maybe not, which would again be disappointing. However, comparing the price of Michelin R5's to the Raven 09's, I guess the price per mile still favors the Ravens. I guess having tried 4 different brands of tire, your choice of going back to Michelin speaks for itself, but appreciate your overall thoughts on the Ravens compared to the other three brands. Thanks

My experience with the Ravens certainly didn't match up with some other forum members and their Ravens. 670cc and Camaro Eric both get exceptional mileage out of their Ravens. But for some reason I didn't. I thought the Ravens were fine tires for as long as they lasted and I had no issues with traction or handling while running them. I would run any of the brands of tires I have tried so far again.

I would think you'd get less mileage than me due to the user mode and engine braking which I imagine would be more aggressive than I on both acceleration and braking???? since I use the softest riding mode that isn't rain mode.

I actually tried to go back with another set of Pirelli Angel GT's but couldn't get them, simply because of price. I prefer Michelins, but they were $100 more a set than the Angel GT's and I got nearly as many miles of my Angel GT's as the Michelins.

dduelin has over 10,000 miles on his Michelins R5's with 20% tread remaining, and I couldn't match that either with my first set of Road 5s.

Please keep us informed on how many miles you get out of your Ravens.

My experience with the Ravens certainly didn't match up with some other forum members and their Ravens. 670cc and Camaro Eric both get exceptional mileage out of their Ravens. But for some reason I didn't. I thought the Ravens were fine tires for as long as they lasted and I had no issues with traction or handling while running them. I would run any of the brands of tires I have tried so far again.

I would think you'd get less mileage than me due to the user mode and engine braking which I imagine would be more aggressive than I on both acceleration and braking???? since I use the softest riding mode that isn't rain mode.

I actually tried to go back with another set of Pirelli Angel GT's but couldn't get them, simply because of price. I prefer Michelins, but they were $100 more a set than the Angel GT's and I got nearly as many miles of my Angel GT's as the Michelins.

dduelin has over 10,000 miles on his Michelins R5's with 20% tread remaining, and I couldn't match that either with my first set of Road 5s.

Please keep us informed on how many miles you get out of your Ravens.
One factor in tire wear beyond your control might be road surface texture. This is just a theory of mine but I have noted the road composition can be smooth or coarse in different locations, and probably affects tire wear. When I ride in northern Arkansas I seem to get a lot of tire wear. Roads are paved asphalt but seem coarse on the surface. I wore the off-center tread of my front Raven there (in the curves) despite having ample center tread left.

Im putting Continental TKC 70 front
TKC 70 Rocks rear on my NC750X. The oem dunlops worn at 2500 miles. Not sure how long the Continentals will last.

Im putting Michelin road smart 6 gt's on my concours 14. OEM bridgestone battle axes worn down at 7500 miles. Its a heavy bike

Back