• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire repair, what's the best method?

Great info from you all but I must agree with Tim. It's not worth pushing any "patched" tire any further than necessary. We only have two tires just like we only have two eyes. Let's be safe , spend the money and put a new tire on asap. I certainly feel more confident and I think you would too...justsay'n:rolleyes:

We all have different opinions on this subject. Just ship me the tires you don't want, please. ;)

Last edited:
When you have a flat on the road, the "best solution" is the one that gets you safely rolling as soon as possible. The "safest solution" is always a new tire. However, there are many "other solutions" that will work to keep you rolling. "Safety" should always be your first concern!

We all have different opinions on this subject. Just ship me the tires you don't want, please. ;)

I'd be happy to, but I pay the dealer the environmental charge to dispose of the old tyre, and it is illegal to sell or otherwise trade a damaged tyre to a third party in the UK.

Part worn are okay, but not damaged or repaired

I'd be happy to, but I pay the dealer the environmental charge to dispose of the old tyre, and it is illegal to sell or otherwise trade a damaged tyre to a third party in the UK.

Part worn are okay, but not damaged or repaired

That's OK. Shipping from the UK to me would not likely be cost effective.

I've never heard of a similar law in the States. I read there are no laws in the USA governing tire repair. If someone knows of any, please post.

Last edited:
That's OK. Shipping from the UK to me would not likely be cost effective.

I've never heard of a similar law in the States. I read there are no laws in the USA governing tire repair. If someone knows of any, please post.

I can't find the exact details, but I think there is a law against patching sidewalls, and specifying maximum hole size to be repaired.

I often read things claiming that it is illegal for a shop to patch motorcycle tires here in California, but they can never cite a source, I don't think it actually is.

I use ride-on tire sealant.

I swear by Ride-On, also. Would not leave on any trip without Ride-On in my tires. However, nothing can help you when you rip the sidewall. Only another tire will fix this problem. I ripped a sidewall in the middle of the Mexico Baja desert two weeks ago. Lucky that the fellow who owned the hotel we were going to, rode bikes also, and had an extra TKC80. Luck always works better than preparation and planning!

I think it worth discussing the cost element of a dealer repair.

To fit a new tyre in labour and balance is the same as removing and refitting the old one, plus the time and cost of the patch.

I have the tools to take off a wheel, and dismount and refit tyre, I even have a balancing rig for my tube tyre bikes, but I cannot mount a tubeless tyre, I don't have the air compressor for that, nor do I have a car driving licence or car, so for me the extra cost of an actual tyre is perhaps more reasonable than it would be for others.

To fit a new tyre in labour and balance is the same as removing and refitting the old one, plus the time and cost of the patch.

I have the tools to take off a wheel, and dismount and refit tyre, I even have a balancing rig for my tube tyre bikes, but I cannot mount a tubeless tyre, I don't have the air compressor for that, nor do I have a car driving licence or car, so for me the extra cost of an actual tyre is perhaps more reasonable than it would be for others.

Take the tire and rim off the bike yourself. Take it to a small auto tire store. The same machine and patch is used to fix the motorcycle tire as is used for the auto tire. Some will not do the job, because they have never done a motorcycle tire before. However, many will do the job. At a tire store the cost is usually between $10 to $20 dollars. If the tire must come off the rim, make sure to have the direction of rotation correct (on tire) and if the dot is still where you can see it, have it lined up with the tire stem. Most times the tire will not have to come off the rim!

Take the tire and rim off the bike yourself. Take it to a small auto tire store. The same machine and patch is used to fix the motorcycle tire as is used for the auto tire. Some will not do the job, because they have never done a motorcycle tire before. However, many will do the job. At a tire store the cost is usually between $10 to $20 dollars. If the tire must come off the rim, make sure to have the direction of rotation correct (on tire) and if the dot is still where you can see it, have it lined up with the tire stem. Most times the tire will not have to come off the rim!

I suppose I could try catching a bus with my rear wheel ;-//

Some people use ether (starter fluid, carb cleaner, etc) to seat the bead. Spray a little in the tire, set it alight, and let the explosion provide the rush of air pressure. You can find videos (of successes and failures) on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another trick is to wrap a ratchet strap around the tire, and cinch it up (on the circumference obviously) so that the sidewalls of the tire spread out and snug up to the rim inner edges.

Another trick is to wrap a ratchet strap around the tire, and cinch it up (on the circumference obviously) so that the sidewalls of the tire spread out and snug up to the rim inner edges.

I like that idea a whole lot better than the ether idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummy worms all the way.
Am not a fan of sealants as they add unwanted weight to a tire. I use low resistance (no roller seals) bearings as a static balancer.

I've noticed not a wit of a difference using sealants when it comes to how well my machines roll or ride. Not in my 250, not in my 670.

A trick I found for seating the bead is to remove the valve core. Even a small home compressor will work then. Once the bead is seated reinstall the core and fill.

A trick I found for seating the bead is to remove the valve core. Even a small home compressor will work then. Once the bead is seated reinstall the core and fill.
Yep, that's what I do to seat 'em. Funny this thread popped up again. Yesterday I took my V-Strom 1000 out for a spin and when I got home I was putting it on the rear stand and was staring right at a screw in the rear tire. I was hoping it was just a short one that didn't make it all the way in. Put a little soap and water on it and it started bubbling. Proceeded to unscrew a 1 1/2" screw. Put a Stop n Go mushroom in it this morning. I usually use gummys but I've carried this Stop n Go kit on my Concours 14 thru the 48 lower states and have never used it till today.

Back