• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire repair, what's the best method?

Back in the day, I saw internal patches fail on car tires. We would gummy plug them............

Have also seen gummy plugs fail but they were almost always a slow leak and usually the tread was about gone anyhow.
So I've seen internal patches and external gummy plugs fail.

Are there still places in the U.S. that can vulcanize?

Vulcanize used to hear the word around tire shops around here for the internal patching process.LOL process is probably called something else now days. Have not found a tire shop or motorcycle shop for years that will do a patch on a bike tire in Canada in all the ones I've tried . Liability.Have even offered to sign a waiver. always no. They were willing to help get a new tire but will not fix one, Ride safe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many times the shops insurance company has restrictions types of repair done and which techniques are approved.

There are industry standards that also have restrictions ( this is the car repair customer brochure but the basics are the same).

http://www.rma.org/wp-content/uploads/puncture_repair_handout.pdf

Just like the oil thread, KN filter or few other topics....there are at least ten other posting on the issue of repair, liquid sealant , patching , plugging etcetc
Beating the dead horse, this is what Dunlop says:

13 - Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.
Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.
Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.
Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

Last edited:
Yes. With any repair there is always a failure rate, internally or externally but the failure rate of a plug is higher. Don't get me wrong. You can use a plug to get you where you need to go to get a proper repair done. I tour many miles and carry a plug kit with me.

Vulcanize used to hear the word around tire shops around here for the internal patching process.LOL process is probably called something else now days. Have not found a tire shop or motorcycle shop for years that will do a patch on a bike tire in Canada in all the ones I've tried . Liability.Have even offered to sign a waiver. always no. They were willing to help get a new tire but will not fix one, Ride safe.

In our small town there are two shops that vulcanized. I have no issues with vulcanizing a motorcycle tire. When a vulcanized repair is done properly the rubber used becomes one with the tire. That's why there is no better repair. Look around, quality tire service centers still vulcanized.

Thanks for all the comments. Some may think these spirited discussions are wasted time with no conclusion. But the experiences and opinions others share help me solidify my approach to repairing tires. Keep it coming.

They make a tire now that is sprayed with rino liner,I seen a video on you tube,can't find it now.

Interesting. Michelin use to offer a car tire that had a self sealing liner. It was a gooy substance that would reseal the puncture. They dropped it after a few years because it was difficult to repair when it didn't seal and it also added also considerable amount of weight to the tire.

Replacing the tire is obviously the safest method, but we each need to make our own judgement based on our comfort level. I ride a motorcycle, so by default I have a high tolerance for "living on the edge". :)

I'm a fan of sticky string repairs and have used them with complete success the few times I've had a puncture on bike tires over the past 250,000 miles I've put on bike tires. The closest to a failure I've had was the most recent repair where there was a thick brad that angled into the rear tire. I did the usual sticky string repair job and as usual it was a success. I then rode that tire well past the wear bars at which point the plug started leaking some. Is this a failure? I'm saying no because the tire shouldn't have been run that long and if you've ever felt a tire worn that much you'd know that there is very little rubber left. I will say that a vulcanized internal patch probably would have still held air until I wore through the cords (not that I would push it that far - LOL).

If I was in the OP's shoes, I would definitely be carrying sticky strings over any other repair method because you can actually stuff multiple strings into a jagged hole to get the tire to hold air. If you're out in the middle of nowhere, you want the tool with the best chance of success. Those rubber plugs won't cut it in that situation.

BTW, I have a complete tire change setup in my garage and could easily install an internal patch, but I have enough confidence in sticky strings to just run the repaired tire until it's worn out. This is also the philosophy of many serious, long distance riders I've talked to (ie Iron Butt Rally finishers and other IBA members).

Harald, can you elaborate on the difference between sticky string and rubber plug?

Maybe because my english I would assume they are the same???

Thanks.

Harald, can you elaborate on the difference between sticky string and rubber plug?

Maybe because my english I would assume they are the same???

Thanks.

string plug, sticky string, worm, gummy worm, all pretty much the same thing, but can depend on manufacturer as to a better made kind, versus one that may be a waste of money.

Usually rubber plug means one more shaped like a mushroom or arrow head. Most of these type require a special tool to insert them into a tire, from the outside of the tire, going inward.

Sticky String or Gummy Worm type-

string plugs.jpg

External Rubber Plug type-

mushroom plug.jpg

Internal Rubber Plug with Patch type-

plug-patch.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my tire repair and how I did it, a few seasons ago-

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/2549-fix-flat.html#post34502

Modern tubeless tires are very well suited for gummy worm repairs and IMO will never fail.

Running a tire to the chords is what is SO dangerous because at that point their is so little rubber left,
the tire will deflate much quicker (no rubber left to seal around the nail) to the point the bike may go into a tank slapper. But that won't happen on w/60 series and lower tire because
the sidewalls are so short there is little side wall flex. A 55 series (rear) tire can run safely at moderate speeds w/NO AIR; not recommended, it will overheat.

I did it once w/a 6 ply 70 series tire, but it was very squirrely.

I just did my first ever repair a couple of days ago. I had a tiny hole that could barely be seen by the naked eye and I had to use soapy water to find it at all. Man, I'm glad I bought that puncture repair kit last year! One of the few things that pays for itself the first time you use it.

I am just sitting here now thinking about how very seriously the OP must think about the dangers of being stranded on a motorcycle when he lives on a continent with wild lions. My problems pale in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put Ride On in your tires only a rip in a sidewall will strand you.. The solution to a rip in a sidewall is a new tire. Had a 2 inch rip in a sidewall while in Mexico Baja last week. The tires used on the NC7 are a very often used size on many motorcycles. The fellow who owned the hotel we were to stay in, also rode motorcycles, and he had an extra rear tire. So some times luck is better than planning. Also the clutch used in the NC7 is used in 33 other Honda models, so clutch plates can be found all over the world!

Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Also the clutch used in the NC7 is used in 33 other Honda models, so clutch plates can be found all over the world!
!

I take it you have no use for the bike snobs who would sneer and say that makes it a "parts bin" design.

I take it you have no use for the bike snobs who would sneer and say that makes it a "parts bin" design.

Ha! Snobs are snobs...doesn't matter what the're snobbish about.
We are driving the "Folkscar" of the motorcycle world. I'm loving it!

I'm happy to repair a tyre at roadside and finish my ride for the day, but the next day I'll be having the tyre replaced, irrespective of the science the thing between my ears won't trust a damaged tyre for any longer than that.

Not ideal when you pick up a nail in a brand new tyre, but that's the way I roll

I'm happy to repair a tyre at roadside and finish my ride for the day, but the next day I'll be having the tyre replaced, irrespective of the science the thing between my ears won't trust a damaged tyre for any longer than that.

Not ideal when you pick up a nail in a brand new tyre, but that's the way I roll

Great info from you all but I must agree with Tim. It's not worth pushing any "patched" tire any further than necessary. We only have two tires just like we only have two eyes. Let's be safe , spend the money and put a new tire on asap. I certainly feel more confident and I think you would too...justsay'n:rolleyes:

Back