• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire leak at the bead - fixed under warranty, maybe getting new wheel

TerraNova

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of months ago, around the time the weather started getting colder, I noticed that my rear tire was losing a couple of PSI a day, though I couldn't see any puncture. At first I thought it was related to the colder temps, and I just made sure to check the pressure every morning before heading out, and inflating a bit before getting on the road. But after a few weeks of this I started looking in the forums here and saw that some others had a similar problem, with air escaping at the bead. On a Saturday afternoon I put some soapy water on the rear tire, and sure enough, there were bubbles of air coming out at the bead, on the chain side.

This morning I took it in to the dealer to have a look and fix the problem - I don't have the tools or confidence in my own skills to remove the wheel and re-seat the tire myself, and figured they might do it under warranty, as I've had it for less than a year. They did. They said once they had the tire off there was a noticeable gap, and it was obvious what the problem was. They put in some bead sealer and said it should stop losing air at least until the next time I change the tire, but they also put in a request to Honda to replace the wheel, since it had a noticeable defect.

So, I just wanted to report this result to others who might be having similar problems. Talk to your dealer as they may be able to get Honda to take care of this for you. If they end up approving the new wheel, I'll add a note about that here too.

There have been a few people in the past that have had issues with tires leaking at the bead. I'm going to see if I can find the thread. Most of them found one spot that had some debri / buildup at the location of the leak. Sound like a similar problem.

Back