• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The sun is in my eyes

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
As we get into August the sun is lower in the sky so when heading into it I am having difficulty seeing. I know there are helmets with internal visors but they seem to be tinted and not opaque. Also my helmet is fairly new and cost me quite a bit so I am not anxious to replace it. i am wearing sunglasses of course but they alone are not enough. Some of you commute so you are riding home at dusk. How do you handle this? It's especially bad when the sun is to your side and as you ride past the trees it's like a strobe light. In my cage there are all sorts of flip down and sliding visors that you keep lowering until the sun is on the horizon. Not a new problem, but it's new to me.

I finally broke down and got a tinted shield for my helmet, it isn't nearly as dark when you're wearing it as it looks from the outside.

That and a decent pair of sunglasses helps quite a bit.

one way to do it is to buy a cloth sun visor (cheap) and cut off the back strap. Velcro the visor to the helmet... (that keeps it adjustable).

Now, you can adjust the sun visor as you would the sun visor in your car.
Dip your head a fraction, and the visor covers the low sun so you can still see the road.

Opaque means you can't see through it. You don't really want opaque.

I just priced some prescription sunglasses yesterday. With the anti-glare (which I think is what you'd want) they were $249.
Of course, if you don't need a prescription, you'd be more fortunate.

I like Strats suggestion, too. I've seen more than one rider with a sunshade attached to their helmet. Some looked like I would do it and some looked good.

Assuming you work day shift, the first thought is: Always live east of where you work.

But . . .
The problem with that is the oncoming traffic is looking into the sun. Can they see you? I would rather deal with my vision than worry about other drivers being blinded. So maybe it's better to live west of where you work?

Last edited:
Opaque means you can't see through it. You don't really want opaque.

Yes, opaque, just like the visor on my car. Just at the top. Glare isn't the problem, my clip-on polarized sunglasses take care of that.

I like the tape idea but I was worried about residue on the shield when I remove it, especially in the heat. I am going to experiment with that.

I use to use a strip of static cling window film on the top quarter of the visor. Then I just dip my head lower and see out of it when the sun gets bad and those times at red light where the sun is at same place. The film I got was at babies-r-us that goes on side windows to reduce the sun on babies.

that would probably work better since it wouldn't deform in the wind like a visor might.

I had one of these for several years. It worked very well, although it eventually was lost in a really severe wind out in Utah. Prior to that it had gone many miles over several years at highway speeds without issue.

EDIT (Now with link!)
http://www.super-visor.com/Order.html

You do have to get over the fact that it is a little goofy looking. :cool:

Last edited:
i have an internal visor,

but one thing that help is improving you eye health. google it.--- healthy diet.

you eye would be able to better adjust helping even more.

I use to use a strip of static cling window film on the top quarter of the visor. Then I just dip my head lower and see out of it when the sun gets bad and those times at red light where the sun is at same place. The film I got was at babies-r-us that goes on side windows to reduce the sun on babies.

Ah-ha!
I just happen to have some leftover very dark window tint that I used on my house. I would have never remembered that on my own. I just put some on the inside surface. Let's see if it stays on there. I'll experiment with different widths.

.P1040247sm.jpg

I like the Super-Visor gadget also. Thanks

I just used 2-3 lines of black electrical tape. Worked just fine for me...

Ah-ha!
I just happen to have some leftover very dark window tint that I used on my house. I would have never remembered that on my own. I just put some on the inside surface. Let's see if it stays on there. I'll experiment with different widths.

.View attachment 19146

I like the Super-Visor gadget also. Thanks

That's what I use............

I have a helmet that has a peak (arai xd4) and also wear sun glasses.
When heading into the sun, I just tilt my head a little lower.

I have a BILT helmet that has a drop down tinted shield along with a clear shield. It also has a fixed visor. Love the visor in low angle sun conditions - mornings and evenings. Just tilt my head to block the sun. The tinted shield is a light tint-I use sunglasses along with shield in bright midday sun or when on concrete roads/interstate

Every helmet I've owned and own now has one of these attached to the face-shield:

Super-Visor - Home Page

I started riding ten years ago while I worked on the night shift 2245 to 0645. Going home in the morning I traveled East into the rising sun. The Super-Visor works great, the adhesive that comes with it is the only problem as it only lasts a couple of seasons. I haven't had one blow off but it does loosen up over time. I keep them in place now with black Duo-Lock tape I buy on Ebay which is the same stuff I use to hold Laminar Lips onto my windshields.

I had one of these for several years. It worked very well, although it eventually was lost in a really severe wind out in Utah. Prior to that it had gone many miles over several years at highway speeds without issue.

EDIT (Now with link!)
Super-Visor - Order

You do have to get over the fact that it is a little goofy looking. :cool:

I guess I replied a bit too quick. Yes, the Super-Visor does look goofy, but I don't care, it works. It looks just as goofy as my bright Hi-Viz yellow Aerostich riding suit.

Back