• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The only thing i really dont like about my bike

Shaft drive is great, but there are some undesirables with them.
They sap much more engine power than does a chain drive system, particularly in engines with transverse crankshafts which would require 2 sets of expensive, heavy bevel gears, as would the NC.
Longitudinal cranks, as in a Goldwing or BMW pancake engine, have only 1 set of bevel gears, so half the mechanical loss.
Shaft drive systems are much more expensive, heavy, and very costly should one fail.
The ideal would be a belt drive for the NC, but then the problem of removing the swing arm rears its ugly head.
So, I'm also OK with a chain drive.
I don't mind cleaning and lubing, and rarely adjusting the chain.
But for the typical rider who either can't or hates doing any DIY maintenance, I can see them disliking a chain drive system.
That's a great point I never realize that about belts until I was looking at a Harley where someone had converted it to change and I thought what a dumb thing to do then I realize you can't break a belt like you can with chain so the install is a lot more work also a belt can be ruined by a rock going between the pulley and

yep...belt drives could be easily enclosed.....how many scooters out there have open drive systems?????even the maxi scooters have a closed drive system...problem solved...

Something like...this?

Us old duffers remember when some bikes had enclosed drive chains. Chain stayed pretty clean and help up well. I’d think a new generation chain in an enclosed system would work pretty well (double ugly though)
IIRC Scooterboi on the ADV Rider forum replaced his final drive chain on one of his two Heinkel Tourist scooters at 125,000 miles. That chain sits in an oil bath.

BMW has only been using shaft drive on their bikes since 1923 but they're still having trouble getting them to be reliable LOL
Even BMW went chain on all the bikes but R and K series. Guzzi’s are all shaft drive. Yamaha FJR and Super T both shaft drive and have won a lot of Iron Butt stuff..

One of the best motorcycles I have ever owned. Honda NT 700V

Attachments

• 2010-Honda-NT700V-ABS_041.jpg
    2010-Honda-NT700V-ABS_041.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 11
My "preflight check" consists of checking the tire pressures and squirting a little chain lube. Less than 5 minutes thanks to the addition of the optional center stand. I would like to see Honda go to a belt. The old Buell Blast had a belt drive. (500cc thumper). The rear pulley seemed unusually large to me though. My guess is the larger pulleys probably stress the belt less than smaller ones.

As long as I have a center stand, chain maintenance and or replacement has been no issue for me on any of my Hondas past and present. I do however love the shaft drive on my 2015 Triumph Explorer (1200). My prior experience with belt drive (2011 Triumph Thunderbird...traded in 2016 for the aforementioned Tiger) was strictly negative. Trying to adjust that belt was so difficult I lost any desire to ever get another belt drive machine. Yes I know other bikes its apparently not so bad.

You could just ride you full trip and lube the chain when you get back home.
There is no chain police that will make you lube it after 500 miles!

I have over 4000 miles on my 2019 and I have done chain maintenance twice. Gave it a good clean and lube before a big 1500 mile trip and once at 4000 miles. It looks fine, sounds fine. It stretched a little right after break in, but I see no kinks and hear no squeaks when I put it on the center stand and slowly spin the wheel. I think a 500 mile full service interval is excessive and unnecessary, at least for me.

Back