• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The NC as an Adventure Bike

When the NCX gets the same aftermarket support as some of the other bikes out there, I think you will see a lot more guys switching to the NC.

Thanks for the link!

Just think what it could do with a suspension upgrade and a bigger front wheel! Wonder when someone is going to offer the wheel?
I would happily add a motocross style front fender under the duckbill to make room!!

Is it just me skimming over the review, or did they blow several specs on the bike?

"aluminum swingarm"

"4.7 inches travel front and rear"

"there’s only one, sliding, two-piston caliper on the single front brake disc" *

* 'kay this one I give some slack for, as they were obviously riding a US model without the 3 piston ABS/Linked set up, but they could have at least acknowledged the fact IMHO. (ie: Canada only gets the 3 piston caliper model, we aren't offered the 2 piston "plain" version)

At least they didn't slag the bike or pander with mostly backhanded compliments.

As to "it's first real offroad test", boy I'd love to hear HondaBikePro's take on things, and see his review in mass media print.

I was quietly chuckling at the irony of ALtRider sponsored testing, when it had no skidplate, other brand crash bars, no handguards, no radiator protection in this "real ofroad" test.

Other than that, :eek: ;)

Just think what it could do with a suspension upgrade and a bigger front wheel! Wonder when someone is going to offer the wheel?
I would happily add a motocross style front fender under the duckbill to make room!!

I just switched from a adventure bike with a 19" front to the NC.I like the way the 17" handles much better than the 19".There are plenty of tire options and more coming every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and: "The sump hovers much closer to the ground than on other adventure bikes..."

Well, hmm. My buddy's Super Tenere doesn't look a hell of a lot higher up than my BMW streetbike was, sump clearance-wise when we were both loaded up with camping gear, and my NCX looks every bit as good for clearance so far. Couple that with the test rider: "In fact, I didn’t find the suspension’s stops once all weekend. Neither did I drag the low, exposed sump." had no problems, but the very first thing MCN did with their new SuperTen, was to crack it's sump right off the bat, dump all the engine's oil and end the test before it even began, lol.

My friend also got instantly stuck in sand, that I rode over without fuss on my loaded down, bald street tire equipped, sport touring bike...

The Super Ten weighs nearly 100 lbs more than the NCX700

I'm not picking on the Yamaha, trust me, I think they're awesome. But everything's relative, and in the eye of the beholder, as to what makes one thing "better" than another, yes?

I would like to see how the NC stacks up against a Wee. IMO,the folks that think a Wee is a true adventure bike and the NC is a pseudo-adventure bike will be proven wrong as more people take their NCs off-pavement. I'm not sure about suspension travel on the Wee but the rest of the specs seem to be equal or favor the NC.

Hopefully, more tire manufacturers will provide more DS treads that fit the NC. Currently, all I can find are TKC 80s and Pirelli MT 60s. I would like something more 70% on-road and 30% off-road. I will try a set of Pirellis after the stock tires wear out. I don't expect to do any single track but the stock tires don't cut it on gravel roads.
Mike

I would like to see how the NC stacks up against a Wee. IMO,the folks that think a Wee is a true adventure bike and the NC is a pseudo-adventure bike will be proven wrong as more people take their NCs off-pavement. I'm not sure about suspension travel on the Wee but the rest of the specs seem to be equal or favor the NC.

Hopefully, more tire manufacturers will provide more DS treads that fit the NC. Currently, all I can find are TKC 80s and Pirelli MT 60s. I would like something more 70% on-road and 30% off-road. I will try a set of Pirellis after the stock tires wear out. I don't expect to do any single track but the stock tires don't cut it on gravel roads.
Mike

My TKC 80's just arrived at my post box a few minutes ago! :happy dance:

It may be awhile before I can have them put on though, I've over spent my next two paycheques at least, and am worried about my rent and food, lol.

I just switched from a adventure bike with a 19" front to the NC.I like the way the 17" handles much better than the 19".There are plenty of tire options and more coming every few months.

Were you talking off road or on road?? I meant off road where bigger front tires are pretty universally favored for their ability to float over objects that smaller tires ram or fall into. Side benefit, a bigger front tire and a little more suspension in the front and I could get rid of my seat slope mod!! :)

I havn't done any offroad with theX yet but did 1,000's of miles with the Vstrom.I will be running a 120/70-17 TKC on the front of the X so it will be wider then the Vstroms 110-19 and I hope it will work as good.

I'm anxious to hear how you like it compared to the Wee. Nothing against the Wee. I think it is a fine bike for what it was designed for.....like the NC. We are still finding out what the NC was designed for and I'm anxious to see how owners use their bikes.
Mike

Last edited:
I had V ( DL1000),and don't let anybody fool ya it's a handfull offroad!!.
I use to be a AA level enduro rider and I'm 6'1" and 275# and it was not alot of fun offroad !!..
I bought the X with every intension of useing it for a adventure bike and this run up to Deadhorse will be the start of alot if adventuring!!.

Last edited:
I had V ( DL1000),and don't let anybody fool ya it's a handfull offroad!!.
I use to be a AA level enduro rider and I'm 6'1" and 275# and it was not alot of fun offroad !!..
I bought the X with every intension of useing it for a adventure bike and this run up to Deadhorse will be the start of alot if adventuring!!.

I so wish I could ride up there with ya! Maybe someday.:(

Back