• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Honda Crosstourer VFR 1200x DCT

mercurydog47

Reaction score
Visit site
Upon cursory examination this may seem to be a significant upgrade to the 700 but I have serious questions about fuel range and the overall weight of the bike. Plus, I wonder if you can get some of the accessories without signing up for the luggage package which seems pretty expensive. This bike may not succeed because of those issues. Too bad.

Upon cursory examination this may seem to be a significant upgrade to the 700 but I have serious questions about fuel range and the overall weight of the bike. Plus, I wonder if you can get some of the accessories without signing up for the luggage package which seems pretty expensive. This bike may not succeed because of those issues. Too bad.

Well, IMHO "upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. It would do less of what I would want it to do in a motorcycle, so for me it would be a significant downgrade, actually. ;)

-more expensive- I want less expensive
-less fuel economy- I want more fuel economy
-higher COG- I want lower COG
-much heavier- I want lighter
-no storage- I want lots and lots of storage
-way more powerful and speedy-I specifically don't want more power or more speed
-more involved and expensive maintenance- I want easy and cheap DIY
-I don't really care for the looks- I don't mind the NCX looks
-higher insurance cost- I want lower insurance cost

The Crosstourer has been out in Europe for a few years now, so lots of accessories. This bike is big. More like riding an automatic goldwing.

The Crosstourer has been out in Europe for a few years now, so lots of accessories. This bike is big. More like riding an automatic goldwing.

Having had a GL1800 I have to totally disagree. They are like chalk and cheese. Think of the Crosstourer as a VFR1200 with longer legs. I tried the standard bike and it was a pleasant ride. I parted with the Wing because of its weight and bulk, but the CT is a much lighter bike and not anywhere near as bulky. There are plenty of aftermarket accessories as there are for the NC.

I can definitely agree with L.B.S. !
One of my buddy bought a VFR1200X , a DCT modell. Much heavier, cost about twice, speedy, consumption is at least twice ( about 6liters at crusing speed, 7-8 in city or at highway speed above 130-140 ). No more DIY, very hard to access any kinda part, no frunk....etc.
I'm completely satisfied with mine, eventhough there is the 750 but who cares? I am not a speeder

DSC03202_resize.jpg

Photo taken at the Austrian alps.

Which isn't to say I think the CrossTourer is crap, or I'm dissing it, by no means! I'm sure it's a perfectly awesome machine- just not for me and what I want out of a motorcycle, that's all :)

I can definitely agree with L.B.S. !
One of my buddy bought a VFR1200X , a DCT modell. Much heavier, cost about twice, speedy, consumption is at least twice ( about 6liters at crusing speed, 7-8 in city or at highway speed above 130-140 ). No more DIY, very hard to access any kinda part, no frunk....etc.
I'm completely satisfied with mine, eventhough there is the 750 but who cares? I am not a speeder

View attachment 27358

Photo taken at the Austrian alps.

About 2 months ago I gave up my ST1300 to buy a Zero SR for commuting to work on. So far I do not regretted that decision.

As mentioned by L.S.B., insurance will be more than double in California to carry Full Coverage, Comp and Collision as required if you are financing the bike. I was paying over $700/year for many years for my ST1300. The last renewal was a little over $800/year. I was ready to let this bike go, not only based on this.

It was a heavy bike to be on in traffic. To quote myself, "At times it was like riding a Hippo."

Once you get above 1,000 cc, the insurance rates start to climb sharply. Full Coverage on my NC700 is less that $400/year in California with $1,500 in accessory coverage to boot.

If I were looking for another touring bike in the future, I'd seriously consider the CrossTourer with the DCT. As it stands now, I will have to pass on it.

Last edited:
About 2 months ago I gave my ST1300 to buy a Zero SR to use to commute to work. So far I do not regretted that decision.

As mentioned by L.S.B., insurance will be more than double in California to carry Full Coverage, Comp and Collision as required if you are financing the bike. I was paying over $700/year for many years for my ST1300. The last renewal was a little over $800/year. I was ready to let this bike go, not only based on this.

It was a heavy bike to be on in traffic. To quote myself, "At times it was like riding a Hippo."

Once you get above 1,000 cc, the insurance rates start to climb sharply. Full Coverage on my NC700 is less that $400/year in California with $1,500 in accessory coverage to boot.

If I were looking for another touring bike in the future, I'd seriously consider the CrossTourer with the DCT. As it stands now, I will have to pass on it.
Commuting a few miles a day on the ST1300 is like riding an electric motorcycle across the country...... or even a 200 mile trip. Not the best choice for the job.

Insurance in FL is bad enough but compared to CA it's not bad at all. Full coverage 100/300/50 with stacked liability and uninsured motorist $500 deductible is $350 a year for both the ST and the NC combined.

I was interested in the Crosstourer when it debuted in 2012 but for some time now I've not been interested in replacing it with another 600 or 700 lb bike. The CT is about 100 lbs lighter than the ST but it's taller and carries it's CG higher. Plus the power and road manners of the ST is similar to the CT and best of all.... it is paid for.

Last edited:
Back