• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

That's Right......Ammo Cans!

Here in the USA ( PNW ) the 50 cal ammo cans are $25 with new seals.I have been useing them as panniers for years.I just built racks for my wifes GS500 and bought some SEAHORSE 720 cases for $48 each with free shipping.
3ebezenu.jpg

qegu2e4e.jpg

y3u8y8en.jpg

mu2ameba.jpg

yja6uvu8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982 GS850g..Her name is " Black Sunshine".
It's alot of fun!!!.I built her totally from scratch,even the single sided swing arm ( my first and last !!)..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper:
I kept the Alaska Leather sheepskin pad off my cruiser when I traded it in. Not a perfect fit but seems to help a lot with sliding. If you stand up from time to time you'd probably want one with a nose strap.

Thank you much!!

I installed my ammo can panniers today. These are CNU 405s and equate to just over 40 liters in size.

DSC_0009-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0011-XL.jpg

Advantages:
1) Cheap - $104 delivered and about $65 in paint and mounting hardware
2) Top loading
3) Boxy design makes them easy to pack
4) Solid construction

Disadvantages:
1) Heavy steel construction
2) You must remove the lid completely to access stored items
3) If you want to lock them it will require four pad locks. (I installed U-bolts for that task)

I realize these are not for everyone and they may not be a permanent solution for myself either. However, given the price of aluminum panniers, I might make these work a couple of seasons.
Mike

What mounting hardware did you use? I was considering doing this to reduce cost of the Givi accessories and just buy the 52L trekker topcase and top plate mount. What frame did you use for the ammo cans?

Last edited:
I use SW-Motech side and top rack. I bolted the cans directly to the rack. I used a #2 black rubber stopper as a bumper. I cut the stoppers in half and drilled a hole through them for the bolt to pass through. The stoppers were between the rack and cans.

I have since shrugged the ammo cans and have gone to Pelican. Those were just too heavy at 30 lbs each empty!

There are lighter ammo can options than the ones I used. They're cheap and strong......just heavy.
Mike

Great work! I was thinking about doing something similar using plastic ammo cans or dry boxes

Just don't get the small 50 cal cans.I have some yet to be put on because they are not tall or wide enough for the givi racks.some kind of brace will have to be put across the middle.

I use SW-Motech side and top rack. I bolted the cans directly to the rack. I used a #2 black rubber stopper as a bumper. I cut the stoppers in half and drilled a hole through them for the bolt to pass through. The stoppers were between the rack and cans.

I have since shrugged the ammo cans and have gone to Pelican. Those were just too heavy at 30 lbs each empty!

There are lighter ammo can options than the ones I used. They're cheap and strong......just heavy.
Mike

I'm looking side racks just like that if anyone has a set sitting in their garage collecting dust.

Hey there, I think we have the same racks (swmojotech?). I'm wondering if you can share the mounting hardware you bought and maybe a pic of the inside of cans for how you did that? Thank you!

Heh Heh, nice job!! When i rode for a mileage test with my 46L top box and both factory/Givi side boxes i recorded a 6-mpg loss. Not too bad i felt. On another note, Keltec makes a nice little folding carbine. It's a Sub-2k, it comes in a couple of different cals and it conveniently folds in half for easy carry/storage. :{)

I installed my ammo can panniers today. These are CNU 405s and equate to just over 40 liters in size.

Advantages:
1) Cheap - $104 delivered and about $65 in paint and mounting hardware
2) Top loading
3) Boxy design makes them easy to pack
4) Solid construction

Disadvantages:
1) Heavy steel construction
2) You must remove the lid completely to access stored items
3) If you want to lock them it will require four pad locks. (I installed U-bolts for that task)

I realize these are not for everyone and they may not be a permanent solution for myself either. However, given the price of aluminum panniers, I might make these work a couple of seasons.
Mike

I like them. GREAT JOB. I have ammo cases, mostly full of ammo, but none that are sized large enough to be practical for use as panniers.

As you point out, most side cases are crazy expensive. I don't understand why they cost as much as they do, they are just boxes.

I have Hepco & Becker's plastic GOBI cases, which to my eye, look like Coleman Ice Chests, on my bike largely because I got a 1/2 price deal on the side racks and almost a 1/2 price deal on the side cases. Price was a big factor. I like how durable the plastic cases are, pretty sure these will bounce off of a tree and survive undamaged.

I looked at TUSK but was not thrilled with their locking system, which I don't think is very secure. I'm more than willing to admit everything can be broken into but the TUSK cases, which are the economy brand of aluminum boxes, have an extremely easy to break clasping system and that turned me away from buying the TUSK boxes. I like the idea of Pelican Cases but couldn't find an economical solution to an internal lock and am not thrilled with padlocks, just a personal choice.

If I could have gotten a deal on them I'd probably have GIVI Dolomiti cases. But honestly I think the Hepco & Becker GOBI cases are probably better quality cases than the GIVI Dolomiti cases.

thanks...cost me about $50 plus paint. Saw some similar ones years ago on the ADV forum. Also modified Givi racks for a Vstrom to mount to.

Had Ammo Cans on my vstrom........they are approximately 21 lbs each. I took off the diagonal braces, and replaced some of the steel side/end panels with aluminum......a lot of work went into them.......got them down to 17 lbs each.........still too heavy IMO. I recently bought a pair of the Sam's Pelican Knock-offs (the smaller version, not the larger ones they sell now)........9 lbs each, and I think I can reduce those some (maybe 1/2 - 1lb). Granted they are smaller than the ammo cans I had, but I envision myself dropping the bike at some time in the future, fully loaded down.....could be at a gas station.........but the Sam's Boxes will reduce the lifting weight by about 16 lbs.
I sold the "decorated" ammo cans at the Barber Festival for $20/pair.....they even had a bottle opener bolted on, and a helmet lock.

Back