• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sweet! -- Two Brothers Racing Muffler

ViperDriver

Reaction score
Visit site
TBR_Muffler.jpg

I made the decision to replace the whisper-quiet stock muffler with a TBR slip-on not because I want to make noise, but so that I can hear my engine. Let me explain.

I wear a full-face helmet with earplugs. With the stock muffler at highway speeds, I can't hear the engine. That means I have to constantly check the speedometer in order to hold a speed, not good in on a crowded multi-lane highway. My solution? Put on a muffler that lets me hear my engine.

I know some of you guys have installed multiple mufflers and I therefore bow to your expertise. That said, I love the sound of the TBR. Loud enough for me to hear at highway speeds, but soft enough not to be annoying. It also weighs about half as much as stock and, IMO, looks great. I couldn't be happier!

I have the same one in carbon fiber, and I really like it. Mine did not come with all the hardware necessary, I had to buy a bolt and flanged nut to attach the exhaust to the bracket. Even though I bought what i believed was a weather proof stainless steel bolt, it's rusted on me and I need to find something better.

I'm looking at getting the carbon version as well and am very excited. Viper- I agree with you on the noise. Once I hit 50 it's hard to tell what my speed is by noise and feel. Where did you pick yours up from?

I have the 2Bros carbon!

I'm looking at getting the carbon version as well and am very excited. Viper- I agree with you on the noise. Once I hit 50 it's hard to tell what my speed is by noise and feel. Where did you pick yours up from?

It was a bit too loud for this old guy (my neighbors were not thrilled either... I leave for work at 4:30am). I put the P-Tip sound reduction baffle on last night..... much better... still throaty, just 5 to 7 dB quieter.

Got my 2Bros Black Series Carbon Fiber exhaust yesterday and will be installing it this weekend. Also bought the P1X to reduce dB just in case it is too loud.

I wear a full-face helmet with earplugs. With the stock muffler at highway speeds, I can't hear the engine. That means I have to constantly check the speedometer in order to hold a speed, not good in on a crowded multi-lane highway.
Pretty funny!

Most riders just go with the flow ;-)

Generally going with the flow is the safest speed to go. We don't have many busy multi-lane highways around here but when I took the #2 from Red Deer to Edmonton the slow lane was going 140 km/h. On a highway where tailgating accounts for half the injury crashes and over 100,000 vehicles a year are going over 140*, I don't want others coming up from behind with a 30 km/h speed differential.

On quiet highways where you have room to go fast or slow I use a simple wire "cruise control" which holds the bike at a pretty steady speed, helping me avoid those speeding tickets.
20160620_142957.jpg20160620_143038.jpg

*according to wikipedia

Last edited:
Generally going with the flow is the safest speed to go. We don't have many busy multi-lane highways around here but when I took the #2 from Red Deer to Edmonton the slow lane was going 140 km/h. On a highway where tailgating accounts for half the injury crashes and over 100,000 vehicles a year are going over 140*, I don't want others coming up from behind with a 30 km/h speed differential.

On quiet highways where you have room to go fast or slow I use a simple wire "cruise control" which holds the bike at a pretty steady speed, helping me avoid those speeding tickets.
View attachment 32380View attachment 32381

*according to wikipedia
With lots of traffic around I go 3mph-5mph faster then the flow to reduce the chances of being rear ended but I'm in California where splitting lanes is legal, without traffic I go a little over the speed limit but I'm always looking around for something. I like the wire cruise control, I haven't seen that before

Yeah, and most riders get tickets and are involved in accidents. In over 50 years of riding, I've done neither. ;-0 I think I'll stick with what works.

I think most motorcyclists would agree that loud pipes save lives and are an excellent way to monitor your speed when traveling in heavy traffic. Far safer than glancing at the speedometer or maintaining proper spacing and speed relative to vehicles around you.

What is most impressive to me though is that after half a century of riding motorcycles you can even hear your loud pipes ;-)

J/K ... Sounds (no pun intended) that your system works for you.

Loud pipes save lives? Please describe how, using obnoxiously loud Harley rider mentality ; }

Loud pipes save lives? Please describe how, using obnoxiously loud Harley rider mentality ; }

So has anyone dyno'd an NC700X with stock and aftermarket pipes? Is there much of a difference?

I can see wanting to replace the 2015 and before cans (literally cans) on because it looks dumb next to the awesome body work, but the 2016 looks beautiful.

I love the Akrapovic (sp?) looks and sound....but the $$... Oh my! I can't really justify it right now, maybe someday.

Stock dyno was 48.4 hp and with the pipe it went all the way to 48.9 ;-)

Torque was up 1 lb-ft

Clearly not a performance piece but it looks amazing and sounds mellow but powerful.

I lucked out -- the used NC I bought already had a Gianelli silencer and pipe on it already. The guy who had it before me works at the local Honda dealer and he said the gain is minimal -- a little more due to the pipe addition than what ld_rider says above, but who knows with dyno setups differences. He also said it beefs mainly the low and midrange acceleration. It's not *loud* at all, but it is deeper/throatier. I'd never consider it a priority if I myself was paying. The look thing really doesn't matter to me that much, and a couple/few percent of gain just isn't that big a deal.

Looking at this from the angle of wanting to hear you own bike, When I got my bike I could not hear the engine once it got up to about about 80 km/h due to wind noise etc. This was with the stock flyscreen and the Leo Vince muffler.

When I put on the Madstad windshield my perception of the bikes noise rose considerably. From my riders position I can now hear the bike louder and more clearly at any speed, even with earplugs in.

The Windscreen serves not only to block the wind, reducing distracting wind noise, but also seems to reflect and amplify some engine/exhaust sound waves back to the rider like a parabolic dish.

Other riders have also reported higher sound perception when adding a skid-plate, which would also reflect some engine noise back to the rider.

My Ermax windscreen gives me more local sound to hear, but I don't really need to hear the exhaust that much -- I can feel the engine responding to changes in grade, throttle, etc. Maybe it's different with the stock can on there, but the Giannelli is just right: loud enough to hear, but not even close to obnoxious even when gunned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back