• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW Motech Side bag Carriers & Alu-Rack, Aero Bags, & Cal Sci Tinted Shorty fitted

Ramseysteve

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of fiddly bits, but overall a pretty easy install. Although the bags aren't as flush fitting as the OEMS, they hold a little more and more importantly, appeal to my eye.

Quality of SW Motech components really impressed me.

photo 1_2.jpgphoto 2_2.jpg

Steve

Sweet. Love the look...I have these on order too.....something about a saw as a required tool to install the OEM bags made my stomach turn.

I also have the Soft Luggage adapter plate for the Alu Rack on order. Agree about the idea of having to cut plastic bits away to fit the OEM bags not seeming right.

Hi Steve.

Is that the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack also? How was the install for you?

Kevin

It went fine, thanks Kevin. If I had to offer a constructive criticism though it would be that the Alu Rack comes with a set of installation instructions that assume you're installing the rack on its own, and the side racks do the same.

But the fact is, a lot of customers do as I did, and buy both together, and when installing both the Alu Rack and the side racks there is a specific installation sequence you need to follow. This should be highlighted somehow (or was it? Did I miss something?).

Furthermore, there are parts included with the Side Racks that aren't needed as the Alu Rack's mounting arms provide one of the Side Racks' four mounting points. This also should be clarified for those customers mounting both.

As an ex apprentice mechanic (many decades ago) I didn't have a problem as I knew to thoroughly go over all the parts and instructions in advance, but it's easy to see someone mounting the side racks before the Alu Rack, and as a result having to undo all that and then re mount the whole lot in the right order.

But the side racks and Alu rack are terrific!

Steve.

A question about the motech side rack /carrier install....
For those of you who have done this, did you have to remove the license/round reflector piece on the back of the bike before you were able to get the back brace on or did you mount it over top?

A question about the motech side rack /carrier install....
For those of you who have done this, did you have to remove the license/round reflector piece on the back of the bike before you were able to get the back brace on or did you mount it over top?

When I installed mine - I wondered the same thing. I installed the SW-Motech bracket on top of the License bracket, I don't think the instructions call for it but I added a couple of washers to fill in the gap between the SW-Motech and the plastic fender piece (to fill in the thichness of the License bracket).

REVISIT!!!
Thanks for this thread, for once the search engine worked! :)
I just bought the same side racks and they arrived today. I had the same question about the license bracket. Since Twisted Throttle is who I got them from and they had used the same on their NCX I called them to ask about how to install them with the license bracket. I waited on hold while the gentleman went to look at their bike and he confirmed... OVER THE BRACKET WITH SPACERS. It's nice to see pics here too.
Interestingly, in a angry way, I found that when my bike was worked on last, or when it was assembled, someone didn't feel like taking the time to use a 5mm Allen tool on the rear light bracket bolts, rounded one of them all the way out, then die ground a slot to make a flat head screw out of it.. :mad: GRRRRrrrrr. I called the suspected shop in question, and that'll be another story I guess..lol

Forget what I typed above. That cross beam won't fit on mine. I'm trying to get some advice and work it out with Twisted Throttle. If not... Look for a sale on SW Motech Evo side carriers & bags that I forgot the name of because I'm too flustered right now.. in that thread area. This has just NOT been my week....

Back