• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW Motech Shift Lever Modification

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I fitted Buell drop footpegs to my NC, to get some extra leg room. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5670-buell-footpeg-mod.html I am happy with the mod. The brake pedal has plenty of adjustment range to move down to match the drop and does not interfere with the pegs.

However, the shift lever could not go low enough for me to be completely comfortable. The pushrod starts running out of length, and the shifter actually contacts the Buell footpeg. Rather than cut and weld on the cheesy steel stock shifter, I figured I would splurge and get a nice SW Motech machined aluminum shift lever. With discounts and a few member points at Twisted Throttle, the total was about $150 out the door.

I was hoping that this SW Motech unit would have enough adjustment to satisfy me, but it did not. Actually, all other thing staying equal, the SW Motech shifter places the toe peg a little higher than the stock shifter, at an equivalent pushrod length, due to where the pushrod mounting hole is placed. However, I liked the SW Motech shifter, so I kept it and modded it to fit me. I will say that it does have adjustable length (pivot to toe peg). You can make it about 3/4" longer or shorter than the stock toe peg, plus it is hinged to avoid breaking in a fallover.

A word of caution here: I experimented with rotating the engine-side shift lever to the next spline on the shift shaft to try and raise the shift point. I would advise against doing this. The relative motion of the engine side and foot side shift levers gets weird and sinusoidal due to uneven lever arm lengths. The engine side shift lever needs to stay basically straight vertical to keep things working properly, and to keep the up and down shift throws equal. Even just one spline over was enough that it felt weird to me. The pull to shift up became noticeably longer as the engine shift lever approached horizontal.

20140404_194717.jpg

My big necessity was to get the toe peg lower. My first thought was to just grind a little off of the locating boss on the pack of the toe peg and hang it down below the shift lever. However, that would make the peg hinge up-down, which is not conducive to solid shifting. I would have to keep the peg horizontal, and relocate it down.

I found a piece of aircraft aluminum formed section that was pre-formed to 90 degrees and pre-heat treated, IE it was ready to go. I just needed to cut and drill it to fit my needs. If I had to guess, I would say it was probably 7075-T6 aluminum, between 0.063" to 0.080" thick. I only used a small portion of the return flange as a stiffener flange. I cut it so that it would be shorter than the thickness of the base of the toe peg, thus avoiding interference with my foot. I ground down the locating boss so that it would fit into a 7/32" drilled hole on the relocation angle and prevent the toe peg form rotating around the attach fastener.

20140405_014738.jpg

I moved the toe peg down about 1.75". This may seem like a lot, but at its lowest adjustment, it was still too high before. Honestly, now that I've ridden it like this a little bit, I will probably adjust the linkage back up about 0.25" to be perfect. Also, I found that just the aluminum relocation angle had a little too much flex/twist, so I added a titanium strap behind it, and it is very solid now. Again, not absolutely sure, but it is probably 6Al-4V Ti, about 0.032" thick. The additional weight is negligible.

I addition to relocating the toe peg, I found that there was a little too much in-and-out play about the shifter pivot shaft. I cut a piece of bulk gasket material into a washer (0.040" thick) and it is perfect. It still has a few thousandths pf play to account for expansion and free movement, but not enough that it feels sloppy.

20140405_015156.jpg

20140408_044618.jpg

Overall, I am happy with this mod. Shifts now feel more precise than stock. The toe peg is located to match my drop footpegs. It's just another piece of customization that is unique to my bike that makes it more comfortable for me. Plus it's completely reversible. The SW Motech toe peg can go back up to its intended position on the SW Motech shifter, or the stock Honda shifter can even be reinstalled if desired.

Good show, Lou! Thanks for the run through of the mod, nice attention to detail. :)

Say, any cornering concerns? I found even with the OEM peg heights, unless I place my feet waaay back on them, even in the gentlest of turns, I immediately run out of ground clearance and hit my toes on the tarmac. On the shifter side, this translates into the center stand fouling up my foot to the point of annoyance.

How do you find the 'stand with the Buell mod?

I still have a set of Buell pegs that I got to do this with my BMW many years ago, but never got around to it, lazy me...:rolleyes:

I would lay your bike down on the left side. Looks like your shift lever will hit the ground before or at the same time as the foot peg, if it is even close to touching, could make you crash by shifting the transmission. The shift lever should not touch the ground unless the foot pegs is completly folded up. when you hit a bump, and the suspension collapses, all your clearances will be even closer then laying the bike on the left side. Dale

I would lay your bike down on the left side. Looks like your shift lever will hit the ground before or at the same time as the foot peg, if it is even close to touching, could make you crash by shifting the transmission. The shift lever should not touch the ground unless the foot pegs is completly folded up. when you hit a bump, and the suspension collapses, all your clearances will be even closer then laying the bike on the left side. Dale

I have bent more than a few shift levers in my time. I can guarantee what Dale is saying is 100% correct.0.jpg

smileybucktooth.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with dale.
check it!
it would be better to move your footrest further back.have a look at these,cheap as chips.

honda nc700 foot pegs | eBay

mfactory-40mm-footpegs-all-black-1a.jpg

I agree with dale.
check it!
it would be better to move your footrest further back.have a look at these,cheap as chips.

honda nc700 foot pegs | eBay

mfactory-40mm-footpegs-all-black-1a.jpg
I noticed on the MFactory website they show another pair of GOLD for pegs that seem to have a shorter drop. Do you know anything about the shorter drop pegs? I wonder if they sell the different lengths of foot peg drops individually so that you have the option of just changing the drop length without changing the entire foot peg set up?

Dale I have your folding gear shift lever which should eliminate somewhat the above mentioned problem if I was to lower my peds like Lou noted here and others ideas or would I still have more problems than the lowering would solve in ride comfort? Disclaimer on your answer as I'm ultimately responsible and you cannot answer for me responsibly but the folding gear lever would help in this situation correct but I would still have the issue on the brake side.... Thanks

A folding shift lever could help. and fold if hit, and not try to shift the transmission up a gear, but always risky. One of my levers could be bent inward closer to the motor, that would help. I could also make a longer lever that is bent in tighter to the motor, with a folding tip. On the rear brake side , not as bad if you touch it on hard cornering, as the shift lever, all it would do is try to lift the bike up and take weight of the tires, although this is not good ether, at least it is not trying to up shift the trans, i have seen shift levers and shift shafts, bent and twisted from doing this, on some motors this is a complete engine tear down to replace the shift shaft. When ever possible always raise the seat to change the ergonomics if height is not a major issue for you. If you lower pegs always be very careful, and find the lean angle were they touch and were they touch, on the peg, and get used to the limited cornering clearance that you now have. One of my friends last your crashed badly, when his lowered Harley touched, the right peg mount, lifted the weight of the tires, and crashed, both were helicoptered out. Be very careful on anything that reduces cornering clearance. Dale

A folding shift lever could help. and fold if hit, and not try to shift the transmission up a gear, but always risky. One of my levers could be bent inward closer to the motor, that would help. I could also make a longer lever that is bent in tighter to the motor, with a folding tip. On the rear brake side , not as bad if you touch it on hard cornering, as the shift lever, all it would do is try to lift the bike up and take weight of the tires, although this is not good ether, at least it is not trying to up shift the trans, i have seen shift levers and shift shafts, bent and twisted from doing this, on some motors this is a complete engine tear down to replace the shift shaft. When ever possible always raise the seat to change the ergonomics if height is not a major issue for you. If you lower pegs always be very careful, and find the lean angle were they touch and were they touch, on the peg, and get used to the limited cornering clearance that you now have. One of my friends last your crashed badly, when his lowered Harley touched, the right peg mount, lifted the weight of the tires, and crashed, both were helicoptered out. Be very careful on anything that reduces cornering clearance. Dale

Well you convinced me to leave it alone ..... Thanks. With my knee going out I may just need to fab a heal toe shifter or move to electric shifter from the Handicapped shop in FL. If I only knew the future I'd have bought a DCT as you can do more with yours off-road than any one I've heard does with the X or even the "truly off-road bikes" we hear about. I also noticed there are very few DCT (new or used) on Cycle Rider where there are hundreds of NEW Xs still available... Still have to say the 15K I've done on the X so far have been a blast and your parts have made it even better. I'm still planning to take the X to Alaska in early June 2015 and that Back plate that replaces the back seat is tremendous for adding the RoToPak and the big WolfMan expedition bag with tent,sleeping bag and etc, but still allowing my easy access to the Lockable gas cap. Fuel stops will be soooo much better next summer than this last summer. Thanks again for the information and encouragement to take the NC700 off-road.

Last edited:
I bought the cheapest pair of the M-Factory adjustable pegs trying to solve some of my tall guy ergonomic issues but, unfortunately, they won't fit without some additional machining. They actually look pretty decent quality and they've offered to send me some replacements, but I suspect they won't fit either without some grinding. The radius for the fold up attachment to the bike is too large to fit. If I can get some to work and solve some of my ergonimic issues, I may have to upgrade to the "even better" more dirt oriented variety previously noted.

I bought the cheapest pair of the M-Factory adjustable pegs trying to solve some of my tall guy ergonomic issues but, unfortunately, they won't fit without some additional machining. They actually look pretty decent quality and they've offered to send me some replacements, but I suspect they won't fit either without some grinding. The radius for the fold up attachment to the bike is too large to fit. If I can get some to work and solve some of my ergonimic issues, I may have to upgrade to the "even better" more dirt oriented variety previously noted.

Could you simply hand file and/or hacksaw the offending bits to suit, maybe? If the pin/bushing size is not a required need to muck with, shaping the correct radius should be a pretty simple task. Just an idea to think about. :D

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3589-footpeg-replacement-cheap.html#post53178

If they're aluminum (most likely) you may have to exercise caution on how much material is removed, but on the upside, it will be way easier to do than with steel pegs. :)

Back