• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Support your local dealer

Buying model specific parts for your bike typically takes two trips to a dealer: 1) have them order the part, and 2) to come back when they have the part. I do use my local Honda dealer for oil & chemicals. :)

There's no advantage to getting non-stock items from the local dealer.
They charge full retail, which is paid upfront, when the parts are ordered, and then there's a heavy re-stocking fee if I need to return them.
Until the local dealer, where I spent 10 thousand on a motorcycle treats me as good as internet sites, I'm shopping online instead.
Honestly, I think the ancient dealer model need so be revamped.
Tesla has done it and other car (and motorcycle manufacturers) will eventually learn and follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I frequently use my dealer...while it might take two trips, I like to look at the bikes and they usually match on line prices if I consider shipping.

Buying model specific parts for your bike typically takes two trips to a dealer: 1) have them order the part, and 2) to come back when they have the part. I do use my local Honda dealer for oil & chemicals. :)
I do my own maintenance. I order parts at the dealer by phone as it is 33 miles away. Pay when they come in. I order tires and parts on the net all the time. When it come to Honda specific parts and if I have to pay shipping I will call the dealer. Last time they price matched everything. It cost me gas and tax to get them instead of paying shipping. Depends on my mood sometimes. Do I have time? Do they have it in stock and I can finish the job? If I want them there when I need them I need to support them. Haven't bought a bike local since 91. Gave the dealer a chance on the 12 wing. Couldn't come close so "Road Trip ".
Now I just buy used low mile bikes. Bikes run high miles these days so 10,000 miles on them don't make much difference anymore.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just picked up oil, oil filter, crush washer and air filter from my local dealer. They gave me 10% off without asking. When comparing to online prices in Canada and US with freight, the local dealer pricing is very fair and I could not beat the pricing. I'm sure I could do better if I changed out for after market parts. All things were in stock so one trip for pick up. Will give me something to do if/when it snows...

I've had more than my share of grim experiences with motorcycle dealerships in my day, but three of the nicest, most awesome and knowledgable people I've had the pleasure know, happen to have all been behind the parts counter at local shops. Two of them, Lori and Ben, have put up with me for nearly 37 years or so!! :eek:

As a small retailer, it always amuses me when a person buys something over the internet and then walks into my store to ask me and my guys to make it work...... and even gets irate with us because the thing doesn't work or because no one can make out the translated instructions. Yes, the products on my shelves may cost a few bucks more than the internet-direct-from-china crap that sorta looks the same but I can guarantee that mine will work or I will replace it on the spot. Quality used to be important. Now, price drives the world.

I Work at a local parts store, we get people that get pissed when we charge more for labor when they bring parts from rock auto or other parts store parts and want shop work done on them. Or like you said, get pissy with us when we cant make their direct from china 2.99 ball joint won't press into their knuckle.

As a small retailer, it always amuses me when a person buys something over the internet and then walks into my store to ask me and my guys to make it work...... and even gets irate with us because the thing doesn't work or because no one can make out the translated instructions. Yes, the products on my shelves may cost a few bucks more than the internet-direct-from-china crap that sorta looks the same but I can guarantee that mine will work or I will replace it on the spot. Quality used to be important. Now, price drives the world.

I Work at a local parts store, we get people that get pissed when we charge more for labor when they bring parts from rock auto or other parts store parts and want shop work done on them. Or like you said, get pissy with us when we cant make their direct from china 2.99 ball joint won't press into their knuckle.

This problem works both ways. Sometimes people try to do the job on their own and then ask local shops to bail them out. Other times, however, the local shop can't do the job and the customer has to go it on their own. I’ve had warranty work done by the local selling dealer only to have them botch the job so badly that had to order my own parts and do the job right.

One case was a 1999 Bombardier Rotax jet boat engine that stripped a rotary valve drive gear during the warranty. After the selling dealer's service department (also a motorcycle dealer) ”fixed” it and it ran 45 minutes before breaking again, I ordered third party rebuilt parts off the internet and rebuilt the engine myself. It still runs to this day. The warranty was useless, as was the dealer's services.

Another example was a misaligned fairing subframe on a new 1997 Honda ST1100. The selling dealer ordered the Honda part but did a sloppy job of installing it, failing to correct the problem. I ended up making the proper repair and modifications myself. Again, who needs a warranty from a local dealer if it’s useless?

What I'm saying is sometimes the local shop doesn’t have the expertise to run their own business. We need alternate parts sources and information services to keep things running ourselves, without the local dealer.

Last edited:
Indeed, sometimes the dealership can be their own worst enemy.
I tried to go shop at my local dealership yesterday (see, I really do this), and they were closed during their normal business hours.
If they want to go on vacation or be shut down to spend time with family or whatever, THAT'S GREAT, no problem, enjoy. I'll be back some other time.
But it IS rather frustrating when you check their website for hours, it says they are open, so you go the ~30 minutes or so to find otherwise.
Good thing I wasn't in my cage; that would have been bad, bad, bad....

At the end of the day, what many thread commentators say is this:
Support your local dealers if they are good and reasonable.
Else go online to source for parts and do it yourself.
There are more and more online sources for parts and knowledge (Youtube) and it is really up to the local onsite dealership owners to innovate and entice the customer to return for service and parts.

That's it, really.

Back