• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Steerable" lights

Dave Modisette

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My new NCX is the first bike that I have owned that had a beak or a fairing mounted headlight. Let me also add that there has been 37 year gap away from motorcycles that is also contributing to an issue that I am having when driving at night. I've always had a headlight that would point in the direction that I intended to go to instead of staying straight ahead. Not having this mostly bothers me when I'm making a hard turn in a dark area. But even then, I've been taught to look where I want to go and the bike will follow you, so when where I want to go in a curve is dark it is a concern.

I'm not seeing a way to do this from looking a photos of auxiliary lights here in the forum. The only way that I can imagine would be to clamp lights to the lower front fork but then there is the problem of what to do with the slack in the wiring when the forks compress.

I suppose that a wider angle flood light mounted rigidly is the only solution but I would like to run this light(s) even in a dim light mode since the second purpose of the aux light is to increase my visibility to oncoming traffic and vehicles at intersections. I envy the Harley guys that look like UFOs coming down the highway and really appreciate how they help me to see them coming.

Twisted Throttle sells a LED Lighting Kit that will mount on the forks off of the front fendor.

twisted-throttle_web.jpg

Their kits are priced $$$, I heard that their kits come with pre-wired wiring harness and are a breeze to install. This might the answer that you are looking for.

Here's the link of you are interested, Denali DM Micro Single Intensity LED Lighting Kit.

Last edited:
The truth is at anything over parking lot speeds, the steering moves such a tiny amount that mounting the lights to the forks would make no difference as far as aiming them. Ride at 45 mph and see if you can even perceive the handlebars move during a turn. I can't. The movements are very subtle.

I would go with wide angle LEDs mounted to the fork of crash bar, the controls them with a Skene Design. controller that allows you to program different intensities and operate via a separate switch or triggered by the high beam.

Last edited:
The Twisted Throttle Denali light kit is nice and convenient but pricy. If you want cheaper you can source parts yourself. As for the wires, the TT solution and every other solution I've seen is to ziptie the wires to the brake line. That keeps them out of the way.

I personally have a set of Vision-X 20° LED Lights mounted on the Honda Light Bar. They do very well. When they are turned on, it like high definition riding at night.

The light spread is plenty enough that you do not have to worry about the headlight steering in the direction your are going. I highly recommend installing a set of these... :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 360
The Twisted Throttle Denali light kit is nice and convenient but pricy. If you want cheaper you can source parts yourself. As for the wires, the TT solution and every other solution I've seen is to ziptie the wires to the brake line. That keeps them out of the way.

Thanks for steering (no pun intended) me toward a cheaper alternative. I found these but they are twice the power. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-10-watt-led-mini-auxiliary-work-light/1386/ . They offer a 45 deg beam. Would that be spread enough to run them in conjunction with the Skene Design controller? Or maybe, something goofy like having a spot on the left hand side and a flood on the right.

Thanks for steering (no pun intended) me toward a cheaper alternative. I found these but they are twice the power. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-10-watt-led-mini-auxiliary-work-light/1386/ . They offer a 45 deg beam. Would that be spread enough to run them in conjunction with the Skene Design controller? Or maybe, something goofy like having a spot on the left hand side and a flood on the right.

The "Wider" the angle, the lesser the distance that the light will propagate. You'd be find with the 25° units would work perfectly fine. That's of course after they have been adjusted to slightly overlap the headlight beam for each. The light intensity of those units are a little on the weak side. I'd use something closer to 1,000 Lumens or greater myself.

big_1.jpg

Then the next issue you'll encounter will be the differences between the 2 light colors/temperatures. These should be matched closely as possible. I would also recommend replacing your headlight bulb with one that in the "Xenon White" and is rated at least 4,000K or greater.

Those are a little confusing in that they say 45 deg but the description says 60deg. Either way that is more of a fog light which won't give much distance but that may be what you want.

You might want to look at Helmet Lights & Handlebar Mounts for Night Riding Accessories - motorcross, motorbikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles, quads, ATV, mountain bikes & bicycles - Cyclops Adventure Sports LLC - Lighting Your Adventure - Lighting for Sport. Here is his vendor thread on ADV New Long Range LED Aux Lights | Adventure Rider. The reviews of his products and of his customer service are all very good including presales and post sales installation support. (I have his LED headlight bulb) The 10/20 combo is very popular. I know a couple guys who have those. For some of his lights he has snap on covers that give a wider pattern so you can get say the 10/20 and snap on the covers for 20/40. He also has smaller sized ones that could mount on the forks for steerable. You might want to give him a call and discuss what you are wanting to achieve.

They offer a 45 deg beam. Would that be spread enough to run them in conjunction with the Skene Design controller? Or maybe, something goofy like having a spot on the left hand side and a flood on the right.

The more spread they have the less you would need a Skene Design controller because they are so diffuse that they don't hurt anyone's eyes even at full brilliance. Spots are more in need of dimming. Also, be aware that not all LED lights are dimmable using the Skene Designs controller. With the Ridgid Dually D2s on my NC, I had to isolate the mounts from ground in order for the IQ-170 to work with them. On later Ridgid lights, not even that would work. Also, a spot and a flood is not goofy at all.

BTW, I don't really understand the issue of following the wheel and don't see the need. Cars don't do it. A cornering light that came on with your turn signal would be kind of cool.

Only ride as fast as you can see far at night. I recently moved to the country and have had to slow down from daytime speeds because of what you describe.

I am wondering if you have any problem with how the lights hold up under the constant shaking they must get because of where they are mounted.

Both of my BMW's have run Motolights for quite a while. My R1150R rode the Dalton and Dempster highways with them. I have never changed a bulb. The glass lenses are incredibly thick and strong as well. No worries from rocks and such. My NC has some TIR3 LED's from Whelen that have also done well. The lenses on them are probably not as strong, but they have held up so far for three years.

DSC00389 copy-2.jpg

IMG_20150128_142400_1.jpg

Last edited:
I run a pair of Clearwater Krista 2 LEDs mounted on Twisted Throttle's light bar and ah, have no problem with seeing in turns ;-)

They ship with a dimmer so you don't fry anyone's eyeballs when in traffic and only pull something like 4 watts (total) when dimmed and 16 watts when I have them cranked up halfway.

IMG_6245-L.jpg

IMG_6253-L.jpg

When cranked fully on they pull only 70 watts and make the stock headlamp look like a weak yellow candle. Seriously. Just the thing you need around here when dodging Moose on I-95.

Last edited:
I am wondering if you have any problem with how the lights hold up under the constant shaking they must get because of where they are mounted.

These lights have been mounted in basically the same location, that is, on the part of the fork that takes all the abuse, on my last 3 bikes. They probably have 30,000 miles on them over the last 5 years. I have never had to replace a bulb yet.
Knock on wood!! :rolleyes:

Back