• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stand Up Rear View Mirror

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found I can't see behind me when I'm standing on the pegs so I have been trying to think of a good place to have a third rear view mirror that I can see while standing.
I bought the mirror I used years ago and have had it in a storage box for about six years, I don't remember where I got it.
I stuck the mirror to the inside of my Cycle Gear hand guards with 3M VHB double sided outdoor tape.
I left the clamps on overnight and have the mirror mounted inside of the end of the guards so if I tip the bike over on that side the mirror might not break.

Finishing 08-07-201501.jpg

Finishing 08-07-201502.jpg

My point of view when seated

Finishing 08-07-201504.jpg

My point of view when standing

Finishing 08-07-201505.jpg

Brilliant! All these years of standing on the pegs and not knowing if your buddy was still behind you on a rough section, or worrying about cops sneaking up behind you on the highway while you are giving your knees a break, d'oh!

Brilliant! All these years of standing on the pegs and not knowing if your buddy was still behind you on a rough section, or worrying about cops sneaking up behind you on the highway while you are giving your knees a break, d'oh!

Worried about cops is exactly why I wanted a mirror, secondly traffic behind me. I stand up all the time for the bumpy, broken, frost heaved pavement on the roads around here and also when riding through busy intersections, we have a few around here, to make a larger visual target. I worry that a cop might get the idea I'm "stunting" on the bike. I've heard of motorcyclists being harassed and ticketed in places like New York City just for standing on the pegs.

That law is in a lot of places.

You must remain seated until the ride comes to a full stop. Seems some carny wrote the law....

If you had to make an evasive manuever approaching or in an intersection can you do this whilst standing on the pegs? I like the idea of making a bigger visual but I don't think I could pull off a quick swerve or braking move.

If you had to make an evasive manuever approaching or in an intersection can you do this whilst standing on the pegs? I like the idea of making a bigger visual but I don't think I could pull off a quick swerve or braking move.

No. You can maneuver, but not as quick as sitting down . Hence , the long arm of the law.

I can't answer for kpinvt, but to me there is a big difference between: "standing on the pegs", versus: "unweighting from the seat".

To me, standing is reserved for a rough off road terrain navigation where there are so many bumps, divots, uphills, downhills, small rocks, etc., that you need to be doing it, otherwise you would be bounced out of the seat and into potential crash results, or, free and clear highway with no traffic, where you are simply unkinking your knees for a wee bit.

Going though an intersection, I would never ever be standing on the pegs. If there was some obstacle, debris, whatever, that I couldn't avoid via swerving or braking, then I would unload my weight from the seat, and be technically crouching on the pegs to ensure my best chance to ride over the cause in question, but still not standing.

I can't answer for kpinvt, but to me there is a big difference between: "standing on the pegs", versus: "unweighting from the seat".

To me, standing is reserved for a rough off road terrain navigation where there are so many bumps, divots, uphills, downhills, small rocks, etc., that you need to be doing it, otherwise you would be bounced out of the seat and into potential crash results, or, free and clear highway with no traffic, where you are simply unkinking your knees for a wee bit.

Going though an intersection, I would never ever be standing on the pegs. If there was some obstacle, debris, whatever, that I couldn't avoid via swerving or braking, then I would unload my weight from the seat, and be technically crouching on the pegs to ensure my best chance to ride over the cause in question, but still not standing.

I started standing because of the intersections near where I work. The roads there are deeply grooved from snow plows and other heavy truck traffic. Riding across the road sitting on the bike is not an option unless you slow down to a crawl. The two intersections I'm talking about had not been repaved in ten, maybe fifteen years. There are other roads around here that have deep depressions and high ridges running at odd angles across the road. I got the idea that maybe standing at busy intersections would be a good practice to follow, maybe not. I have practiced braking while on the pegs, with the DCT I don't have to worry about downshifting and there is much more leverage on the rear brake pedal. Besides it's just much easier for this old farts legs to stand up straight rather than halfway up. As for bashing a grip to change direction in an emergency, I don't know, I'll have to work on that one.

Last edited:
Back