• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

St1100 / 1300

30.5 average mpg? Last tank 26.7 mpg? Might want to get that checked out. My Dodge Caravan beat that mileage on my trip back from skiing last weekend. And my Honda GL1800 averages 42 mpg. Something's not right with your ST.

The bike runs perfect. I had to change out the fuel pump assembly awhile back, so there's not a fuel obstruction anywhere.

As I said before, I ride it fast, cruise at 80-85 MPH for only 13 miles to work and then back. The distance is too short to get any type of decent fuel mileage to compare to anything. During the Summer months, I would get mid 30's and lower 40's. We've been on the winter blend of fuel for over the last year. There was some sort of refinery issues that created a fuel shortage, so then decided to put us on the winter blend way too soon last year. Those numbers you've seen were with this fuel type. I also have been running Mid-Grade (89) gas for almost 7 years on this bike. That might have something to do with it.

NaNCy gets 52 to 55 MPG with the same riding style and routes on 89 fuel.

30.5 average mpg? Last tank 26.7 mpg? Might want to get that checked out. My Dodge Caravan beat that mileage on my trip back from skiing last weekend. And my Honda GL1800 averages 42 mpg. Something's not right with your ST.

I found this information on the Honda website regarding the Estimated EPA MPG to be 35 MPG. I am a tad below that, so I'm not worried about it. I also have an K&N Filter installed for several years too. :)

I averaged right at 42 mpg over 50,000 of ST ownership. I rarely cruised at 80-85 mph though......just through Iowa and Nevada.......once...........I promise ;)

The ST is a very comfortable bike once you make it that way (like any other bike).

Oh, one more pic. Pike's Peak, CO 2011
DSC_0021-L.jpg

Mike

I wouldn't shy away from buying the '99 ST11 with low mileage for only $4k. The ST1100s were bulletproof bikes and some friends have rolled up well over 100k miles on them without any trouble, one exceeded 300k! The early ST11, pre'94?, had a smaller alternator but they upgraded the output in '95 if I'm not mistaken.

The ST11 feels more top heavy than the ST13 and is less powerful but still has more than enough beans to ride all day at illegal speeds. The ST13 is less top heavy and more powerful but it can and does radiate a lot of heat off the engine. There are some cures to the heat problem but it never goes away entirely.

I found this information on the Honda website regarding the Estimated EPA MPG to be 35 MPG. I am a tad below that, so I'm not worried about it. I also have an K&N Filter installed for several years too. :)
You probably know this but if you have the old stuck thermostat syndrome your gas mileage will suffer dramatically. When mine stuck it went from the mid 40's to the upper 20's. The temperature gauge should reach and stay on 3 bars when warmed up.

Joe A. If your interested on doing a fly and ride I'm getting ready to put my '04 up for sale soon. Has 45k on it going to ask under 5k for it. Have had it since new, only problem I have had with it is the stuck thermostat. Has many accessories. My wife loves it more than any of the other bikes I have. When she let me get the new V-Strom 1000 last year I promised her I would cut the herd a little, down at least one for now ( 4 motorcycles, 3 scooters) but I'm very close with my bikes.

Last edited:
Stuck thermostat or choked air filter. Low 30s seems a little low. I did a full day in the mountains running with Yellow Wolf last summer, including some 130+ stuff on a closed course, and I still got 40 mpg. I don't use fuely but I am a fanatic at monitoring mileage as I find myself on some lonely mountain roads at all hours of the night and I need to know if I can make it to the nearest fuel stop.

You probably know this but if you have the old stuck thermostat syndrome your gas mileage will suffer dramatically. When mine stuck it went from the mid 40's to the upper 20's. The temperature gauge should reach and stay on 3 bars when warmed up.

I did not have that issue with "Ol' Blue". I had both the thermostat and water pump replaced along with all the hose replaced years ago. The repair was over $800, "OUCH!!!" . :eek:

Last item I had the K&N Filter out, it looked good inside of the element. I'll have to order a "Recharge Kit" for it here soon. Then I'll clean it out myself.

I'll lead my comments by saying if I could have only one of the many motorcycles I've had it would be the ST1300. It's heavy but it done almost everything I ask of it well enough to earn that. Over the time I've owned it it's averaged between 42 and 43 mpg overall. At this time it runs perfectly and burns no oil between oil changes.

I bought mine almost exactly 9 years ago with 1875 miles on it and yesterday it rolled over 151,875 miles. Original clutch, the engine cases have never been opened, just regular maintenance I did myself. An alternator failure stranded me once. I've no plans to replace it and I'd ride it anywhere tomorrow. It's been to 26 states but most of those miles were probably ridden with 500 miles of my home. With it I crossed the desert Southwest in 100 to 105 F degree temperature and also crossed the Tail of the Dragon in 22 degree air. Mine has the stock windshield and Honda wind deflectors that help somewhat with the heat off the engine. I've never personally had a problem with the heat or the weight. The rest of the positives make up for it. I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inseam.

My 2005 example won't last forever but I'm thinking 250,000 miles would not be that big of a deal. Owners tend to be older riders that take care of their bikes and a used one with 50,000 miles would just be broken in and good for many thousands more. Used prices seem to be dropping under $6000 for low mileage examples in excellent condition. I was tempted by a 17,000 mile ABS 2005 model a month ago that the owner was asking $6500.

IMG_2609_zps0b2463c1.jpg

The same corner in 2006 that Kebrider posted a pic of earlier.

Heading for another 8500' mountain pass on US 50 out west.

IMG_0206_zpsca3abb1a.jpg

I was waiting for you to post Dave. I agree with the ST and the one bike thing though I dearly love the NC. The ST is just too good at long distance and it has such a sporty feel when you want to play. I think so much of my 06 that I am investing heavily in the suspension. Rick at Cogent has the forks right now and has ordered my Penske rear shock. After the mods I suspect the ST will serve me well the next 5 to 10 years.

That Tiger treating you well? I just changed out the air filter on ours. I recommend adhering to the schedule on tiger air filters as ours is always dirty at 12K and it is easier to get to than the NC (which was hardly dirty at all at 12K). The Tiger is next up for Cogent. Rick says he has done a few and they respond very well.

My ST1300 would average about 35 mpg -- I was probably a bit too spirited with it. I get 65-70 mpg on the NC.

Trip to Colorado:
IMG_0727.jpg

I'm recognizing some of these ST owners from the ST-Owner.com site. Most people who have ST's have pictures from trips to far away places. If I knew how to post a picture I would do it also.

Interested in this thread. I mulled an ST purchase many years ago but went with a 'Wing. Then I moved onto a German brand. The other day I went to my local dealer to have the combination meter recall performed and saw they still had a new 2012 ST1300. They wanted just shy of $13k for it. I've always heard about it being a good bike besides the high speed wobble and the heat output, but it seems today that there are too many bikes that out-do the ST for similar, if not better, prices. For example, they had an FJR1300 ES right next to it for just a couple hundred more. A quick search shows a TON of brand new 2012's out there. It's a shame that there are so many still out there considering they are said to be an excellent bike...

One reason that there are so many 2012's is because it was the last year of the Gen 2 models and nothing was changed from previous years except the addition of heated grips as standard. The word got out that in 2013 the FJR would get a major overhaul/update which turned out to be true and became the first year for the Gen 3 models. So many who were contemplating an FJR held off. 2014 ES models were particularly scarce.

As you have read, the reason that some prefer the ST1300 is because of its more upright riding position and I would agree that it is indeed upright. My personal opinion is that the ST1300 is more "tour" than sport and the FJR and Concours are more "sport" than tour. As with all bikes, it's a matter of personal preference but I would urge anyone looking for an ST to at least sit on and preferably ride the different models because the differences are not trivial in ergonomics or performance. I was a Honda die-hard fan also but when it came time for me to purchase my first ST the ST1300 just didn't do anything for me and at the time the Concours 14 was too new (that turned out to be a wise decision as the 1st and 2nd year Concours had some issues). I've now owned an FJR since 2008 and recently upgraded to a '14ES which is simply amazing IMO and I am loving all the new features especially the electronic suspension. Good luck with your quest.

Back